Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 05:26 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,470,512 times

Advertisements

I've read the worst of it is Joburg and Durban. Smaller cities like Port Elizabeth and Bloemfontein aren't supposed to be too dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 03:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,358,543 times
In the USA most homicides are gangsters killing other gangsters, often over drug money. There is a code of conduct among gangs not to kill innocent people. It is very rare to get killed randomly even if you are in a high crime area. Property crime can be very high though. Seems like South African criminals target everyone equally, and since Whites are still wealthier than Blacks they are frequent targets. There is a barbarity to many homicides in SA that you rarely hear about in the USA, people being tortured.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:14 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,218,664 times
Its been 10 years but I lived in Joburg for some years. There was crime. Big reason was that everyone was poor. I never had any problems and got along better with the Blacks than the Whites. There are some really evil white gangs there too... Dont look at people badly and dont act like you are above them and you will get along well.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:34 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,427,119 times
I think that this news article from the UK Guardian says it all.

link. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...early-49-a-day

Over 17 THOUSAND murders in ONE year, in South Africa. That was for a 12 month period, in 2015.

There are places where that number of dead would indicate that a WAR was being fought. But in SA this is thought to be "normal ' .

No wonder the number of SA whites who are trying to emigrate to Canada is so large.

JiM B.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:58 AM

277 posts, read 378,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Over 17 THOUSAND murders in ONE year, in South Africa. That was for a 12 month period, in 2015.

There are places where that number of dead would indicate that a WAR was being fought. But in SA this is thought to be "normal ' .

No wonder the number of SA whites who are trying to emigrate to Canada is so large.

JiM B.
The fact that's it has become the norm is what bothers me and it's a definite theme. Things happen, people complain, riots happen, nothing changes and then it becomes the norm. It bothers me because you become so complacent with how life is that you don't realise how bad things are until you go and visit a 1st world country and see how things are actually suppose to be.

An amazing country that still has a long way to go to correct the past and is currently being ruined by politics.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:02 PM

22 posts, read 15,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
In the USA most homicides are gangsters killing other gangsters, often over drug money. There is a code of conduct among gangs not to kill innocent people. It is very rare to get killed randomly even if you are in a high crime area. Property crime can be very high though. Seems like South African criminals target everyone equally, and since Whites are still wealthier than Blacks they are frequent targets. There is a barbarity to many homicides in SA that you rarely hear about in the USA, people being tortured.
I've been around impoverished neighborhoods damn near all my life and innocent people do get killed in the streets and it happens on the daily basis throughout America. Some gangs in America have a code to not kill innocent people but for the most part most gangs in America don't really care. Majority of these innocent murders are on accident and people just get hit in the crossfire, these things happens in the hood every single day. The streets are very rough and there's no rules of war in the hood. If you killed somebody and the person you killed homeboys are looking for revenge and can't find you they will kill anybody they can find who's close to you (friends, siblings, parents or whoever). This happens in the streets every single day in America, and I'm not overexaggerating. There's a dark side to America that I have yet to see in any other country, and this is coming from somebody who's been around.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,033,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemetic Science View Post
I've been around impoverished neighborhoods damn near all my life and innocent people do get killed in the streets and it happens on the daily basis throughout America. Some gangs in America have a code to not kill innocent people but for the most part most gangs in America don't really care. Majority of these innocent murders are on accident and people just get hit in the crossfire, these things happens in the hood every single day. The streets are very rough and there's no rules of war in the hood. If you killed somebody and the person you killed homeboys are looking for revenge and can't find you they will kill anybody they can find who's close to you (friends, siblings, parents or whoever). This happens in the streets every single day in America, and I'm not overexaggerating. There's a dark side to America that I have yet to see in any other country, and this is coming from somebody who's been around.
Have you over been to San Pedro Sula?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 AM

3,812 posts, read 2,174,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Google up "South African Farm Murders" and see what you get.White people get murdered and black cops don't even care,
I wish you hadnt told me that.

God, that was horrifying to look at

Old 08-02-2016, 09:15 AM

72,817 posts, read 62,167,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

JiM B.
The thing is though, the majority of people being murdered are Blacks. Ironic that we don't hear much about Black South Africans trying to leave.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 AM

72,817 posts, read 62,167,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Have you over been to San Pedro Sula?
I haven't, but the murder rate there scares me enough to never want to go there. Scarier than South Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa