Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:47 PM

10,640 posts, read 16,021,486 times

Advertisements

After watching some video's about cannabalism during Sierra Leone's Civil War in the 1990's i will never set one foot in that country.
It was so cruel, you would never see something like that in Western Europe, not even 500 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:48 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
After watching some video's about cannabalism during Sierra Leone's Civil War in the 1990's i will never set one foot in that country.
It was so cruel, you would never see something like that in Western Europe, not even 500 years ago.
How can you watch a video like that? I would be thinking about it for days I've got too much sympathy for people to watch something like that.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:09 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times
Quote:

I'm not really sure what your comment has to do with the OP's question, but Europe has most certainly had its share of cannibalism, as detailed in this article. What's more, it reports that Europeans tended to grossly exaggerate the amount of cannibalism found in other parts of the world:

Europe’s Hypocritical History of Cannibalism
From prehistory to the present with many episodes in between, the region has a surprisingly meaty history of humans eating humans
Europe

"By the 16th century, cannibalism was not just part of the mental furniture of Europeans; it was a common part of everyday medicine from Spain to England.
Initially, little bits of pulverized mummies imported from Egypt were used in prescriptions against disease, but the practice soon expanded to include the flesh, skin, bone, blood, fat and urine of local cadavers, such as recently executed criminals and bodies dug up illegally from graveyards, says University of Durham’s Richard Sugg, who published a book in 2011 called Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires: The History of Corpse Medicine from the Renaissance to the Victorians.
Medicinal cannibalism reached a feverish pitch around 1680, Sugg says. But the practice can be traced back to the Greek doctor Galen, who recommended human blood as part of some remedies in the 2nd century A.D., and it continued all the way into the 20th century. In 1910, a German pharmaceutical catalog was still selling mummy, says Louise Noble, who also wrote a book on the topic called Medicinal Cannibalism in Early Modern English Literature and Culture."

There is also this:
"Europe boasts the oldest fossil evidence of cannibalism."

Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 PM

249 posts, read 282,921 times
Quote:
You must not havecread up on America's history or Europe because if that's what your basing your travels on you would never step foot in the Americas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa