U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 07:18 PM

25 posts, read 16,588 times

Advertisements

Friends, are there any efforts underway by the governments and the African union to bring back african religion and language and civilization? It seems like after colonization, christianity and islam have become the dominant religions in Africa. What can we do to bring back african religion in countries like Nigeria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 06:25 AM

3,503 posts, read 1,703,358 times
The Yoruba religion is still going on strong in Nigeria but all the other ones have been declining mostly due to Christian conversion or the fact that you don't have to strict or religious to be a follower of one of those religions so the religion doesn't try to grow. Also at least in Nigeria animism is seen as mostly barbaric and is connected to some vile rituals. Also many criminals connect with animists to do things like kidnappings and cultish things.

Language wise the average Nigeria will know three languages, English, the local language and the language in the nearest major city if the local language and language in the city is the same they will know only 2. Some cities barely anyone speaks English do to the city being dominated by one ethnic group. While more diverse cities lean on English or other languages as a lingua Franca.

Their are been some efforts to preserve historic areas in Ghana like Cape Coast. Nigeria has tried to preserve Badagry, Benin and Ibadan's historic city centers.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The Yoruba religion is still going on strong in Nigeria but all the other ones have been declining mostly due to Christian conversion or the fact that you don't have to strict or religious to be a follower of one of those religions so the religion doesn't try to grow. Also at least in Nigeria animism is seen as mostly barbaric and is connected to some vile rituals. Also many criminals connect with animists to do things like kidnappings and cultish things.

Language wise the average Nigeria will know three languages, English, the local language and the language in the nearest major city if the local language and language in the city is the same they will know only 2. Some cities barely anyone speaks English do to the city being dominated by one ethnic group. While more diverse cities lean on English or other languages as a lingua Franca.

Their are been some efforts to preserve historic areas in Ghana like Cape Coast. Nigeria has tried to preserve Badagry, Benin and Ibadan's historic city centers.
Thanks for the reply friend. Its nice to know that Yoruba religion (Ifa) is still going strong in Nigeria. They have a rich history they should preserve it and promote their own culture. I am actually Indian but I want to see Nigerian and AFrican civilization thrive. I believe that all of African civilization should be seen as a unified whole with ancient nile valley civilization as its base and foundation.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 AM

20,165 posts, read 11,172,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajputMaster24 View Post
Friends, are there any efforts underway by the governments and the African union to bring back african religion and language and civilization? It seems like after colonization, christianity and islam have become the dominant religions in Africa. What can we do to bring back african religion in countries like Nigeria?
Quote:
Thanks for the reply friend. Its nice to know that Yoruba religion (Ifa) is still going strong in Nigeria. They have a rich history they should preserve it and promote their own culture. I am actually Indian but I want to see Nigerian and AFrican civilization thrive. I believe that all of African civilization should be seen as a unified whole with ancient nile valley civilization as its base and foundation.
Umm...you realize there was never a single pan-African religion and civilization, right?

Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Umm...you realize there was never a single pan-African religion and civilization, right?
Hey, thanks for the reply friend. I was speaking intuitively. Considering how the Hindu civilization(South asia and southeast asia) were once many tribes believing in varied animist religions.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:11 PM

470 posts, read 143,640 times
Nothing much has changed in Ethiopia. Tribal religions are still followed in Southern Ethiopia, although they are fading fast.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:28 PM

608 posts, read 466,162 times
Quote:

Africas indigenous religions are even stupider than the abrahamic cults that are wiping them out.
Hopefully, the christians and Muslims drive to extinction that nonsense and then sometime in the future are themselves driven to extinction by secularism.

Africa doesnt need to revive and preserve their old ways. (At least not in actual practice. In history books & museums of course). They need to forge a new civilization and cultures driven by more liberal ideals and science. Damn the gods, let them all die.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:49 PM

691 posts, read 919,619 times
I wonder if people still practice traditional religions in Ghana, it seems there are many Muslims and Christian sects there now.

There ARE some things in traditional African religions that defy logical and scientific explanation I saw some interesting things
some videos especially Benin and a couple of things in Nigeria...I was also told interesting stories from African friends who
were Traditionalists, Muslims and Christians, the latter two still believed in the supernatural occurrences involving the Traditional Religions..( I heard these stories from Sierra leonians and Nigerians.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or