U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:56 AM

276 posts, read 294,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Thank you for the info, dowsieboi ( we'll be staying in Kalk Bay actually).
There is another problem : the only word I know in afrikaans is "braai"! can you tell me some the basic words in afrikaans like "good morning" , please", "thank you" (dank u ?) , "good bye",etc. just to be "polite" at least with the local folk ? what are themost used words in afrikaans ? (how do you say "meal" for instance , or "fare" in the bus?). I kind of like the sounds of that language...
Kalk bay is a pretty cool lil town! If you want super fresh fish and chips with very local vibe, check out a place called Kalkies. Also a lil' restaurant called Cape to Cuba is also pretty cool.

Afrikaans is a pretty literal language with their words haha. Braai is a must so you're at least good there!

Going to leave out the letter accents cause it's a pain to find them on the keyboard
Good Morning = Goeie More
Please = Asseblief
Thank You = Dankie
Thank you very much = Baie Dankie or Dankie baie
Good Bye = Totsiens

Meal/Food = Kos
Breakfast = Ontbyt
Lunch = middagete - Middag = "middle day", Ete = "meal"
Dinner = Aandete - Aand = Evening/Night, Ete = "meal"
Snacks you buy to eat while you're driving/on your way somewhere = padkos - Pad = Road, Kos = food

Should I maybe throw all this into it's own Thread so that we don't completely derail this 1?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,162,048 times
Default Thank you so much

It does actually look like Dutch somehow
On another topic, I found that lodges and "all inclusives" in safari parks where very expensive (way beyond my means) , so I plan to rent a car for a day or two and drive through the parks, is it a good idea?
Also : I've heard that the most beautiful beaches in SA are located between PE and Durban , is that true ? (I'm a beach person )
thanks again for your help.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:51 AM

276 posts, read 294,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
It does actually look like Dutch somehow
On another topic, I found that lodges and "all inclusives" in safari parks where very expensive (way beyond my means) , so I plan to rent a car for a day or two and drive through the parks, is it a good idea?
Also : I've heard that the most beautiful beaches in SA are located between PE and Durban , is that true ? (I'm a beach person )
thanks again for your help.
There are a lot of beautiful beaches around Cape Town with the mountain backdrop. The water is just kak cold in my opinion :P Durban beaches are more that tropical style with the nice warm Indian ocean (I far prefer them haha). Cape Town I feel like I just want to admire them from afar, as opposed to spending the days on them

Old 12-28-2016, 06:21 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,254,784 times
Cape Town does look really cool to me, but my wife would definitely not like the cold water.

Are there other countries that might have warmer water and a more tropical feel but still be safe?

I might just flat out be over my head in terms of going to Africa with my wife. I have to admit I don't know a whole lot about it.

What is the safety like in a country like Kenya, Ghana, Tanzania etc...

I'm fairly well-traveled but also not looking to go to a civil war or see people dying of starvation.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:17 PM

637 posts, read 645,683 times
Ghana. Great beaches. Safest country for tourists according to many sites. Elephant viewing and other animals in the north. Not as developed for tourism as other countries and Accra is a big city. East Africa has a few more touristy spots- try Kenya and even Tanzania.

I would not consider South Africa. Still has remnants of apartheid and all of the resulting problems. Also, it is very Westernized.

What about Mauritius and Seychelles?

Old 12-29-2016, 03:17 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,162,048 times
@ manhattangirl : the fact that it is westernized is a plus for a first trip in Africa, the contrast wouldnt be too violent.
Mauritius and Seychelles are Indian ocean destinations, it's not the "african experience". But Ghana seems interesting, my son went to Accra and was surprised at the development of the city, cleaner than neighbouring Abidjan.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:59 AM

3,556 posts, read 1,461,466 times
I have just returned from a 4 week stay in SA (my country of birth), and would say it is a fascinating place to visit for the average tourist.

It has certainly become far more attractive to foreign visitors/commercial investors since the end of Apartheid: yes there are still pockets of overt racism, and crime remains a problem in cities like Jo'burg. But then the same could be said for any major city around the world.

Holiday hotspots like Table Mountain, Lion's Head, Boulders Beach, Kruger Park, Pilanesberg National Park. All situated around Cape Town, Pretoria, Durban etc.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:27 AM

2 posts, read 708 times
What about Visit Egypt

Old 03-08-2017, 12:16 AM

2,551 posts, read 1,645,278 times
Morocco is safe and very exotic.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:29 PM

2,811 posts, read 1,145,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Morocco is safe and very exotic.
Have you visited Tangier. I'm curious about travelling there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or