U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:17 PM

261 posts, read 163,580 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone just looking to hear from anyone with veritable experience in the country of Mozambique, especially if you are from North America as that's where I am coming from

I'm interested in some opportunities throughout the country(peace corps) really want to go to Africa for the mind-expanding cultural experience + nature of the region.

About me:
White
Male
Shaved head + Beard (do they hate beards?)
Heterosexual
Cisgendered

Fluent in English and in Spanish but zero experience with Portuguese (curious about how much the Spanish will help attaining the pidgin portugese I have read many speak there)

Prefer to eat vegan but able to do whatever. (Curious about the common foods)

Other than that I'm looking for general stories and information - if anyone wants to share <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 02:08 AM

412 posts, read 305,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarvanative_inco View Post
about me:
White
male
shaved head + beard (do they hate beards?)
heterosexual
cisgendered
You're a fokkin WHITE MALE!

Old 01-28-2017, 08:56 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Mozambique has different dynamics than Zimbabwe or South Africa.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:47 PM

271 posts, read 292,536 times
Hmmm stories...Only stories I have are broken memories from when I was younger and went on a trip there with my dad and some of his work friends. Drove to the border and then needed to use 4x4s from there. Any time we got stuck the locals were always eager to help push the cars

Had a good friend in Uni from Mozambique. Literally 1 of the friendliest and hard working guys I've known Between them and the Zimbabweans it's difficult to tell who's friendlier haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
So what?

Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 AM

18,620 posts, read 16,419,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Hmmm stories...Only stories I have are broken memories from when I was younger and went on a trip there with my dad and some of his work friends. Drove to the border and then needed to use 4x4s from there. Any time we got stuck the locals were always eager to help push the cars

Had a good friend in Uni from Mozambique. Literally 1 of the friendliest and hard working guys I've known Between them and the Zimbabweans it's difficult to tell who's friendlier haha

So what?
I think the point of saying he's a "white male" is that his concern is overblown. Being white is essentially a passport for most of the Third World. He will be treated well in the hopes that he can sprinkle some cash their way.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:45 AM

352 posts, read 291,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative_inCO View Post
Cisgendered
I had to look that up. I could have saved myself the time.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:57 PM

729 posts, read 320,597 times
You sound like my cousin (though she is a black female). She's in Mozambique in the Peace Corp. She teaches. She loves the kids she teaches. She came back to visit in December. She said she stayed with a family, in the mountains where it was sort of cold. They ate traditional foods. She talked about the big mosquitoes. Many of us sent her care packages (snacks, toilet paper, flashlights, etc..). There are a lot of Peace Crop people there, looking at her photos on Facebook. I'd post a link, but she probably wouldn't like that. But good luck! There are a lot of nice people there in Mozambique.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:21 AM

271 posts, read 292,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I think the point of saying he's a "white male" is that his concern is overblown. Being white is essentially a passport for most of the Third World. He will be treated well in the hopes that he can sprinkle some cash their way.
Fair point. Didn't think of it that way. Thanks

Old 01-31-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
You sound like my cousin (though she is a black female). She's in Mozambique in the Peace Corp. She teaches. She loves the kids she teaches. She came back to visit in December. She said she stayed with a family, in the mountains where it was sort of cold. They ate traditional foods. She talked about the big mosquitoes. Many of us sent her care packages (snacks, toilet paper, flashlights, etc..). There are a lot of Peace Crop people there, looking at her photos on Facebook. I'd post a link, but she probably wouldn't like that. But good luck! There are a lot of nice people there in Mozambique.
Much appreciated

Old 01-31-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Mozambique has different dynamics than Zimbabwe or South Africa.
Would you elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or