Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 03:22 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times

Advertisements

why do African countries, such as Namibia, South Africa, Botswana and others that were colonized, still have cities with Dutch, German and English names? These countries have gained their independence, why do they keep holding on to their colonized history...Are they proud of that? Why don't these African countries give their cities and towns names of their native language, take pride in their native languages and forget their colonial past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 04:15 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
There are still significant populations of Dutch and English descendants in these countries. Is their history to be erased because they are a minority? Maybe they believe it's inappropriate, perhaps even unfair, to deny the contributions made by the Dutch, Germans, and English in having founded and developed these cities over the first century of their existence.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
"Contributions"
It's probably the same reason black Americans don't change their last name. Used to it by now.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 AM

277 posts, read 381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
why do African countries, such as Namibia, South Africa, Botswana and others that were colonized, still have cities with Dutch, German and English names? These countries have gained their independence, why do they keep holding on to their colonized history...Are they proud of that? Why don't these African countries give their cities and towns names of their native language, take pride in their native languages and forget their colonial past.
Things do/have been renamed and are still being renamed. I'm not sure if I'd go ahead and rename everything. I mean if I look at Oliver Tambo International airport.

It went from Jan Smuts Airport -> Johannesburg International Airport -> Oliver Tambo International airport

All the signs and map books need to get updated to do that. I thought having it as Johannesburg International Airport was perfectly acceptable but then it got renamed not too long after. A huge waste of money in my opinion compared to where that money could have been spent.

@Bold text - We have 11 official languages. Which should they use?

Old 03-25-2017, 04:16 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Thank goodness, at least Leopoldville was changed to Kinshasha.

Belgian King Leopold was a horrible genocidal monster, responsible for millions of Congolese deaths as his overseers worked the natives to death brutally, harvesting rubber and ivory. https://en.wikipedia/wiki/King_Leopold's_Ghost

Old 03-25-2017, 09:01 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,238 times
I think that in most cases, the African cities that have European names were areas in Africa where large numbers of Europeans settled and the indigenous societies were not as developed..For example Lagos, Ibadan, Kano were cities and
towns that existed before the colonial era and that area did not get a large influx of European settlers. The indigenous cultures were strong enough to resist a lot of Europeanization or incorporate it into indigenous cultures.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:41 PM

545 posts, read 594,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Thank goodness, at least Leopoldville was changed to Kinshasha.

Belgian King Leopold was a horrible genocidal monster, responsible for millions of Congolese deaths as his overseers worked the natives to death brutally, harvesting rubber and ivory. https://en.wikipedia/wiki/King_Leopold's_Ghost

And nothing as changed in the last 100 years. The current leadership as overseen the death of millions of Congolese just since 1998.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:14 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
If Europeans had never colonize Africa what would be the national languages of the various countries that Africans would have formed?

Old 03-27-2017, 01:18 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
My guess is that African countries have bigger problems than "city names"

Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
As dowsieboi already mentioned, the 2 biggest factors are cost and consensus. I can't think of a single African country with a single language or a single dialect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa