U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 02:59 PM

209 posts, read 148,749 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in traveling to South Africa (and staying in the Cape Town area, around Medburn Road, Camps Bay). If you are familiar with this area, please advise as to whether this is an ok tourist spot for a black American. Also, how is the weather in early April?

I'm not very familiar with the racial issues occurring throughout Cape Town. Before I (and my family member) book our vacation, I want to be sure that it's ok.

The accommodations look great, but I'm particularly interested in your insight, if you live in Cape Town or are familiar with the general area and racial climate.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 08:34 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
I think you might be referring to the Xenophobia of other African nationals in South Africa?

From my understanding, it mostly has to do deal with economics...people from Nigeria, Mozambique, etc. are starting businesses and looking for jobs in South Africa, and competing with other lower-skilled South Africans....who see them as potentially taking money away from local South Africans. This is happening in some of the poorest townships.

(I'm a white American who spent time in South Africa and also went to Camps Bay)....so take in mind I'm probably not the demographic (neither black, nor South African)....that you are looking for. But Camps Bay has everyone, as does all the tourist areas in and around Cape Town - black, white, tourists, wealth, poverty.

But, from a tourist perspective, there is a lot of security in South Africa. THere is also a lot of crime in South Africa. The complexity of racial relations were...just complex. But, general tourist advice....I rented a car, and along the coast its fine...really beautiful. But, certain parts of Cape Town, Cape Flats in particular, there are quite a few frequent 'Smash and Grab' areas...basically intersections along major roads, where you'll see a lot of people mulling about, with the large warning signs of it being a 'smash and grab' area, if they've had a lot of incidents there. If you see one, you'll probably see more, so best to turn around and get back out the same way, before you get deeper into it.

You can also see/feel the disparity of wealth, and it is generally very strong along color lines. Most wealthy areas are predominately white, and most poverty areas are almost entirely black. But, I definitely saw well-off black...and I saw the opposite of dirt poor white living in the squalor parts, or holding a begging sign...the entire country is just complex racially.

If your main #1 concern was about white racism against a black family. I can't really comment, as I just don't know.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-03-2017 at 08:42 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 12:43 AM

271 posts, read 292,667 times
Camps Bay is a pretty wealthy area that's made up primarily of wealthy and tourist people so you should be fine

As Tiger mentioned, the racial issues are complex but long story short is you'll be fine. The Xenophobic attacks are more found in the townships and they don't often affect tourists.

Weather wise Cape Town is mythical beast so it's hard to say Generally April should still be warm with the winter rains only hitting more June/July.

One thing to note for if you visit - we're in a severe drought so please use water sparingly. We literally have countdown boards along the highway of how many DAYS of water we have left.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 AM

13 posts, read 12,541 times
Tiger Beer was spot on as far as being a tourist in Cape Town. I was there as a tourist back in 2014 and the only color that mattered as a tourist was the color of my money(I'm black). Cape Town has a very sophisticated tourist circuit and they ensure that their golden goose is well taken care of. Camps Bay feels and looks like Santa Barbara lite. You will not feel unsafe there at all. Even downtown Cape Town is OK during the day and Long Street is lively at night kinda like San Diego Gaslamp quarter. I would venture to say that the racial climate is only relevant to people who live there, not for a tourist on a short trip. You will experience Cape Town in a tourist bubble, well insulated(and isolated) from any of the real and perceived racial issues there so go fourth and have a good time.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:06 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,149,308 times
Next year I want to visit the Kruger via Jo'Burg, and then Sta Lucia ont he Kwazulu / Natal coast, are there security issues on that circuit ?

Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Next year I want to visit the Kruger via Jo'Burg, and then Sta Lucia ont he Kwazulu / Natal coast, are there security issues on that circuit ?
I went to Kruger from Jo-Burg.....the highways/freeways across are just fine. Beautiful even. No security issues.

Kruger, try to stay inside the Nat'l Park. It's beautiful and interesting inside, and not too expensive either...no more than staying in hotels outside of the Nat'l Park. I didn't feel security concerns either....definitely not inside the national park.

I never went to Sta Lucia on the Kwazulu / Natal coast...so not so sure about that part.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,149,308 times
thank you, "dankie" , Tiger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or