U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,512 posts, read 17,740,343 times
Reputation: 30801

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
As long as they look as good as KEO MOTSAPE, from Dancing With The Stars program, in the USA, I am in............he is gorgeous, tall, slim, well-mannered, well-dressed, with the most beautiful smile equivalent to a million-dollar smile, that I have ever seen. A fantastic dancer.......a gorgeous, handsome-man.....
Keo Matsape does not have typical Khoisan features at all. His name is Bantu, one of the most widespread ethno-linguistic groups in Africa.

It is thought that many thousands of years ago, the Khoisan, too, were a very populous and geographically widespread group until, over time, they were dramatically outcompeted, possibly by emergent pastoralist and agricultural societies, until their range was reduced to some of the harshest and least desirable lands on the continent. The Khoisan people are survivors, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2017, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Groznia
205 posts, read 137,767 times
Reputation: 221
Maybe... in an alternate reality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2017, 04:16 PM
 
25 posts, read 10,506 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
My new fad is South Africa. I'm in love with one of their dramas (they call them soapies) and I'm trying to find out ALL ABOUT the FASCINATING culture. Their tourist website has some pictures of the South Africans. They have a couple of peoples there, not just Zulu like I'd originally thought. Two of them look straight up Asian to me.

They look like they have single eyelids and have less dark skin than many of the West Africans. The other peoples like Zulu seem to look more like I expected with darker skin and double eyelids. Now I'm fascinated. Pre-European renaissance there was widespread trade between the ME, Africa and Asia. Is this some sort of result. But why research when I can just post? Review and Discuss:
The Khoisan People, Blend of the Khoi and San people in South Africa

I have the right answer for you.
This is the Khoisan genomic make-up (Southern Africa):
This is based on the Khoi and San people, most likely some of the oldest populations in Africa and the world.
72% (Southern Africa)
19% (Eastern Africa)
6% (Western & Central Africa)
3% (Southern Asia)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 01:00 PM
 
412 posts, read 306,620 times
Reputation: 271
I live in South Africa and yes, there are a lot of brown people who look quite Asian. I have never understood how they came to be. Are they mixed race? They don't look like the typical black/white mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 11:53 PM
 
3,513 posts, read 2,516,206 times
Reputation: 6797
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
I live in South Africa and yes, there are a lot of brown people who look quite Asian. I have never understood how they came to be. Are they mixed race? They don't look like the typical black/white mix.
I don't mean to be a wise ass but it helps to read what has already been written in the thread.

KhoiSan are the oldest haplotypes in the world, so no, there is no mix. It is what is called "convergent evolution." Asians don't own the epicantic eyefold anymore than Africans have a monopoly on thick facial features, or Europeans on white skin.

The Khoisan separately evolved in some conditions that caused them to have an eye shaped that way. What caused it I don't know. For the Asians, it was evolving in the tundra, where they had constant wind and the reflection of the sun off of the white snow. Perhaps for the Khoisan there was unobstructed wind in the desert?

In any event, no, no relation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 06:42 AM
 
412 posts, read 306,620 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I don't mean to be a wise ass but it helps to read what has already been written in the thread.

KhoiSan are the oldest haplotypes in the world, so no, there is no mix. It is what is called "convergent evolution." Asians don't own the epicantic eyefold anymore than Africans have a monopoly on thick facial features, or Europeans on white skin.

The Khoisan separately evolved in some conditions that caused them to have an eye shaped that way. What caused it I don't know. For the Asians, it was evolving in the tundra, where they had constant wind and the reflection of the sun off of the white snow. Perhaps for the Khoisan there was unobstructed wind in the desert?

In any event, no, no relation.
Ok, but they aren't black. They look more white than black. So perhaps they are mixed Dutch/KhoiSan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,733 posts, read 70,579,935 times
Reputation: 76713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Ok, but they aren't black. They look more white than black. So perhaps they are mixed Dutch/KhoiSan?
White people have been known to develop that eye shape, too. In northern Scandinavia, where there are tundra-like conditions in winter, there are Europeans (and no, I'm not talking about the Saami) with the epicanthic fold. It's an evolutionary response to the environment, as others have pointed out. Not everyone in the region has that, but a few do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 11:16 AM
 
412 posts, read 306,620 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
White people have been known to develop that eye shape, too. In northern Scandinavia, where there are tundra-like conditions in winter, there are Europeans (and no, I'm not talking about the Saami) with the epicanthic fold. It's an evolutionary response to the environment, as others have pointed out. Not everyone in the region has that, but a few do.
These people do not look Scandinavian. They look like a mix of white and black, but closer to white, and with somewhat Asian-looking eyes. It's like a completely separate race. I would bet they make up around 15-20% of the South African population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 11:44 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,733 posts, read 70,579,935 times
Reputation: 76713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
These people do not look Scandinavian. They look like a mix of white and black, but closer to white, and with somewhat Asian-looking eyes. It's like a completely separate race. I would bet they make up around 15-20% of the South African population.
I wasn't implying they were Scandinavian, lol! I was illustrating that any human group can develop that characteristic in situ, in response to environmental conditions.

OTOH, maybe with the people you're talking about, there was some San ancestry, and the gene for the eye shape is the dominant one? Just a guess. There are people in Russia and Eastern Europe who look Slavic or Germanic, except for the eye shape. It's not uncommon for people there to have Asian ancestry, either distantly (due to various historical invasions) or more recently (parentage or grandparentage. The eye shape is the one tell-tale sign of this ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,423 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Reputation: 10539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
These people do not look Scandinavian. They look like a mix of white and black, but closer to white, and with somewhat Asian-looking eyes. It's like a completely separate race. I would bet they make up around 15-20% of the South African population.
If you're talking about the cape coloured population, recent genetic studies have shown they're literally a mixture of everything in South Africa. They have Khoisan, White, Bantu, South Asian, and East Asian (likely by way of Malaysia/Indonesia) ancestry. In the core area around Cape Town they are quite mixed between all groups, but IIRC populations in more rural parts of the Cape are more heavily White/Khoisan to the exclusion of everything else.

Recent studies have shown that the "pure" Khoisan are pretty mixed themselves. Some of this was historically attested, as mixed-race white/Khoisan groups assimilated into the Nama populations of Namibia. And most Khoisan groups have some bantu ancestry as well. But even more ancient admixture has been found, with East African populations who had a substantial amount of Near Eastern ancestry themselves. The lighter skin of the Khoisan has also been found to be a recent development (as in, over the last few thousand years).

Honestly, everyone in South Africa is mixed. Most of the Bantu groups (particularly the Xhosa) have some Khoisan ancestry. Afrikaners are actually a few percent nonwhite by ancestry. Probably only people of English and Indian descent whose ancestors came in the 19th century are relatively "pure."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top