U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 08:50 AM

8,000 posts, read 16,052,716 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be flying into Dar Es Salaam on April 16th and spending 8 days on Zanzibar. It's the rainy season, I don't expect the weather to cooperate the whole time. So aside from the beach (I'll be snorkeling when I can) and getting lost in Stone Town, what do folks recommend for Zanzibar.

I'll also be spending 2 nights in Dar Es Salaam, so anything to see/do there would be appreciated.

Finally, I'm in Kigali, Rwanda for 5 days. I'm not going to do Gorilla Trekking, but I am leaning towards visiting the Genocide Museum and spending a few days in Akagera (maybe a safari).

So any suggestions for experiences in those areas would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 11:55 AM

5,677 posts, read 8,592,236 times
I'm going to be in Zanzibar in August. I am spending time in Nungwi for a few days (also checking out Kendwa when I am there) and then back in Stone Town. I will be doing a snorkeling or diving tour around Mnemba island which is supposed to have the best reefs... looking at the pictures it looks amazing so can't wait.

I think besides the beaches the only thing is the Spice tour which is recommended, I have limited time so not doing that.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,052,716 times
^Enjoy!

We stayed in Matamwe area right on the beach and it was awesome. Gorgeous, and if you're willing to swim far (or walk at low tide) the snorkeling was great. I also did a snorkel trip to Mnemba- definitely a great reef, but I saw a lot of crown of thorns starfish which are decimating the Great Barrier Reef now. I'll try and post some photos/videos later. It's a great, healthy reef.

Stone town was cool- check out the market and just get lost in the maze of streets (it's safe and while the people will try to sell you on things, they're really friendly even after you decline). It's small enough that you don't have to worry too much about getting really lost.

Kinyisini was my favorite market. It's the most authentic/ least touristy on the island. Great fruits and produce.

I'd definitely recommend Cheetah's Rock. It was one of the most unique experiences of my life. $140 is a lot, but absolutely worth it in this case. Reserve in advance as it sells out (groups are small).

I didn't do the spice tour. I explored the market on my own and I'm happy I did. I did do the Jozani forest tour ($10) and it was pretty cool (you get to see the Red Colobus), but I wouldn't prioritize it over anything else.

Overall, I loved Zanzibar. I absolutely want to go back. If you need emergency healthcare Vigor Hospital in Stone Town is the place (we had to use it, unfortunately). Hopefully you don't need it.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 2,269 times
Zanzibar is a very beautiful island which offers many opportunities for admiring nature and wildlife. It is a perfect destination for tourists, adventure lovers and wildlife fanatic. It is situated about 30 kilometres away from Tanzania and can be reached by aeroplane or ferry by travelling over the Indian ocean. I am planning a trip to there and decided to take help of trip advisor. Should I go for it or not...https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...on-m11900.html

Old 01-09-2018, 10:49 AM

351 posts, read 550,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^Enjoy!

We stayed in Matamwe area right on the beach and it was awesome. Gorgeous, and if you're willing to swim far (or walk at low tide) the snorkeling was great. I also did a snorkel trip to Mnemba- definitely a great reef, but I saw a lot of crown of thorns starfish which are decimating the Great Barrier Reef now. I'll try and post some photos/videos later. It's a great, healthy reef.

Stone town was cool- check out the market and just get lost in the maze of streets (it's safe and while the people will try to sell you on things, they're really friendly even after you decline). It's small enough that you don't have to worry too much about getting really lost.

Kinyisini was my favorite market. It's the most authentic/ least touristy on the island. Great fruits and produce.

I'd definitely recommend Cheetah's Rock. It was one of the most unique experiences of my life. $140 is a lot, but absolutely worth it in this case. Reserve in advance as it sells out (groups are small).

I didn't do the spice tour. I explored the market on my own and I'm happy I did. I did do the Jozani forest tour ($10) and it was pretty cool (you get to see the Red Colobus), but I wouldn't prioritize it over anything else.

Overall, I loved Zanzibar. I absolutely want to go back. If you need emergency healthcare Vigor Hospital in Stone Town is the place (we had to use it, unfortunately). Hopefully you don't need it.

Thanks for the update.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:19 AM

4,375 posts, read 1,663,688 times
Nobody has mentioned it above, which may attest to the fact that it makes absolutely no difference, but Zanzibar is almost 100% Muslim. They are just like us, in any ways that are important in terms of social relationships. The muezzen will wake you up early with the call to prayer from the nearby mosque, but otherwise, you will forget that the people around you are devut Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa