Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:21 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times

Advertisements

@ThreeSides what's the purpose of those last three video's? There's no way I will waste my time listening to her she's toxic.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:46 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
I mentioned that I'd like to see some DNA results of the Old Kingdom population. Here is a statue of a scribe from the Old Kingdom that seems to be a realistic portrayal. Does anyone have an idea of what DNA would likely say about his racial makeup?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9bc082efa4.jpg

Old 06-23-2017, 07:27 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,453 times
Why are some Americans in 2017 SO WORRIED ABOUT the racial make-up of the ancient Egyptians? Sheesh!! and I am
AA. who cares? good grief!!!

Old 06-23-2017, 09:21 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post

Why are some Americans in 2017 SO WORRIED ABOUT the racial make-up of the ancient Egyptians?
Because the Egyptians keep getting claimed by various groups. They can't all be right.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:58 AM

What was interesting is new research on the region of Nubia, how Nubia was separate from Egypt but at the same time
overlapped. There was a tomb found of a woman(Nubian grandmother) who was buried in the Nubian style but put in an Egyptian coffin. People borrowed on an individual level what they liked from the other culture it seems.

It said Nubians were known to be very good archers, so they were hired in the Egyptian military and in security positions,
and some Nubians were born and lived in Egypt. The article said Egyptians had no qualms on intermarriage. Unlike Americans
and South Africans there was no Apartheid or Jim or Jane Crow among the Egyptians.

These various 21st Century probably AMERICAN GROUPS and/or WESTERN groups have NOTHING TO DO WITH Egypt
in terms of ancestry or anything else.

The American/Western subtext behind this is "Egypt is in Africa, "Blacks" are in Africa Egypt cannot possibly have "Black"
involvement because "Black" is inferior. OR the reaction to this is: "Blacks" are indigenous to and are in Africa and Egypt is
in Africa, therefore Egypt is "Black".

Armchair Americans are PROJECTING their own AMERICAN RACIAL HANG-UPS onto the Ancient Egyptians in 2017.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:05 PM

593 posts, read 591,674 times
Quote:
What was interesting is new research on the region of Nubia, how Nubia was separate from Egypt but at the same time
overlapped. There was a tomb found of a woman(Nubian grandmother) who was buried in the Nubian style but put in an Egyptian coffin. People borrowed on an individual level what they liked from the other culture it seems.

It said Nubians were known to be very good archers, so they were hired in the Egyptian military and in security positions,
and some Nubians were born and lived in Egypt. The article said Egyptians had no qualms on intermarriage. Unlike Americans
and South Africans there was no Apartheid or Jim or Jane Crow among the Egyptians.

These various 21st Century probably AMERICAN GROUPS and/or WESTERN groups have NOTHING TO DO WITH Egypt
in terms of ancestry or anything else.

The American/Western subtext behind this is "Egypt is in Africa, "Blacks" are in Africa Egypt cannot possibly have "Black"
involvement because "Black" is inferior. OR the reaction to this is: "Blacks" are indigenous to and are in Africa and Egypt is

Armchair Americans are PROJECTING their own AMERICAN RACIAL HANG-UPS onto the Ancient Egyptians in 2017.
It's funny how you single out Black Americans as if there is somehow to make an attempt to make the Ancient Egyptians to appear more "black" by western standards but then ignore the blatant posts by others(Europeans and white Americans) on this topic doing the exact opposite and somehow suggesting that the Ancient Egyptians were white(Greek) or Arab or closely related.

My suggestion to you is to do your own research. When you do, you'll find there's been blatant attemps throughout modern archeology to suppress or just outright remove any knowledge of Black African people and culture from ancient Egypt.

But hey, don't take my word for it, there's thousands of books on Ancient Egypt for you to read.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
It's funny how you single out Black Americans as if there is somehow to make an attempt to make the Ancient Egyptians to appear more "black" by western standards but then ignore the blatant posts by others(Europeans and white Americans) on this topic doing the exact opposite and somehow suggesting that the Ancient Egyptians were white(Greek) or Arab or closely related.

My suggestion to you is to do your own research. When you do, you'll find there's been blatant attemps throughout modern archeology to suppress or just outright remove any knowledge of Black African people and culture from ancient Egypt.

But hey, don't take my word for it, there's thousands of books on Ancient Egypt for you to read.
I think you missed my point, my point was that Black Africans were involved in Ancient Egypt, that was
my point about Nubia. My major point was that Americans/Westerners have racialized Ancient Egypt one
way or the other. I DO KNOW THAT Europeans/Americans have attempted to divorce Ancient Egypt from
Africa pointing it to the Mediterranean.

Research/Archaeology should report the facts as it is a science, not fit facts to support a racial agenda based
on Western Slavery...Ancient Egypt has been "Whitewashed" by some Americans/Europeans, in reaction to
this some Black Americans/Africans have "Blackwashed" Ancient Egypt with Afro-Centricism.

My opinion is that Ancient Egyptian civilization existed a long time, long enough to have had influx from
BOTH Black Africa and the Mediterranean/North Africa...I was reading that PreDynastic Egypt has gene
pools related to North Africa/Mediterranean peoples who are now related to the Berbers.

I also read that another PreDynastic gene pool is related to the Nubians which is related to the modern day
Ethiopians and Somali. Some White Americans want to racially claim Greece, Egypt, Phoenicia,Crete. The
truth is that most are related to Visigoths, Teutons,Celts and the people who built Stonehenge.

The Black Americans/Africans who want to claim Egypt are descended from about 48 African ethnic groups with European and First Nation blood thrown in. So you have people totally unrelated to Ancient Egypt claiming it to promote an ideology or a cult.

There was a Sci-Fi series out called Stargate based on the movie by the same title produced by European
producers. The premise was that the Ancient Egyptian gods were actually aliens and that Egypt was far more advanced than we thought (a Stargate was found near the Pyramids).

The movie was filmed in Morocco with lots of Moroccan extras, the Egyptian cast consisted of Africans, Latinos,Black Americans,(a bi-racial person played Ra), Greeks, Italians the Egyptian cast ranged from
olive-complexion to blue-black. I thought this was a more realistic portrayal than Elizabeth Taylor who
was British (she played Cleopatra)..

Old 06-25-2017, 12:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:

As far as I see it, this does not represent the mainstream American/Western thought on ancient Egypt, nor that of the research of archaeologists and Egyptologists. What you describe is an argument between a tiny group of white racists and a tiny group of black racists who leverage this research to their own ends. (and have loud mouths on internet forums and social media)

Modern research and debate concerning the cultural and biological origins of the ancient Egyptians is a politically and socially neutral inquiry that the white and black supremacists, politicize themselves for their own benefit.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 06-25-2017 at 01:04 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 02:24 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
I worked for 4 years in Kuwait and Saudi and had two long vacations in Egypt. There were strong parallels between modern Egypt and ancient Egypt.

1) Today's Egypt is just as multi-racial as the USA's big cities. The standard Alexandrian has a very caucasian appearance including a minority with light brown or dark blond hair and blue eyes. From their history, they probably have more Greek and Italian blood than ancient Egyptian blood. In Aswan, near the Sudan border to the south, a walk around the city reveals more people resembling inhabitants of Compton than Athens! In big cities like Cairo, there is a huge diversity of white, olive-skinned (probably the majority), and brown of all hues. I don't think Egyptians themselves make a big deal out of it and you see many "mixed" couples, although they probably don't use that term.

2) In the Cairo museum as well as out in the field in the tombs of The Valley of the Kings, are both statues and even painted bas-reliefs that showed a similar diversity of color back in the day of the Pharaohs. Also, history showed that the royal class moved from dynasties rooted in lower Egypt (Delta with the Med) with lighter skin and European features to Nubian/Cush dynasties that conquered or negotiated their way to ruling huge Egyptian empires encompassing parts of the middle East in Asia, all of modern Egypt, and the northern half of modern Sudan. Their statues had faces with unambiguous African features and the bas-reliefs dark brown skin. At the other extreme, the last dynasty - the Ptolemies - ruled Egypt fully embracing the old Egyptian customs but were basically light-skinned Greeks. The Egyptian people apparently followed them whole-heartedly despite their light skin because they embraced the customs and traditional pantheon of Egyptian Gods. Race and skin color just weren't a big thing to Egyptians and they are to us moderns!

3) I'm white and my wife is black. We had lively discussions before the first trip about how I insisted all the Egyptian rulers were Mediterranean whites. It only took a short time on the first trip to convince me I was wrong. She won't let me post her picture here but I have her standing next to a small profile statue of a middle kingdom queen in Luxor with her own face in profile. They could be sisters!

Old 06-25-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As far as I see it, this does not represent the mainstream American/Western thought on ancient Egypt, nor that of the research of archaeologists and Egyptologists. What you describe is an argument between a tiny group of white racists and a tiny group of black racists who leverage this research to their own ends. (and have loud mouths on internet forums and social media)

Modern research and debate concerning the cultural and biological origins of the ancient Egyptians is a politically and socially neutral inquiry that the white and black supremacists, politicize themselves for their own benefit.
I agree, as science, the cultural and biological origins should be neutral, not slanted or parts left out to
support an ideology or pseudo-scientific claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa