U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 AM

146 posts, read 95,067 times

Advertisements

I understand that the black community may not be the most LGBT-friendly in the West but I was just wondering to what degree?

Thinking about Uganda's homophobia law enacted a few years ago along with stories of guys getting burned with irons at night makes me think that its probably not a good place to go to if your gay/bisexual (particulalry as an activist). But is showing affection in public or simply having any hints of being lgbt from internet posts, appearance etc enough to garner unwanted attention?

Is it also different for gay men/women? Are lesbian women more accepted than gay men? It seems that most of these cases of homophobic violence involve beatings against men.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 02:55 PM

11,704 posts, read 6,293,874 times
I have gay friends who didn't have any problems when visiting South Africa. But if I wasn't sure about it, I'd keep outward affection to a minimum, as there are still many places in Africa that are very homophobic. Note, two guys holding hands throughout Africa and other parts of the world is often just a sign of friendship, not sexual/physical attraction.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:57 PM

691 posts, read 919,373 times
From what a Peace Corps person told me, there is a lot bisexuality in Africa on the undercover, think Broke-back Mountain.
One African country in particular has the reputation among other Africans as commonly being bi-sexual. As far as Western
rainbow flags and marching that is a no-no in Africa.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:26 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,238,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
From what a Peace Corps person told me, there is a lot bisexuality in Africa on the undercover, think Broke-back Mountain.
One African country in particular has the reputation among other Africans as commonly being bi-sexual. As far as Western
rainbow flags and marching that is a no-no in Africa.
Which one?

Old 06-06-2017, 04:34 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I have gay friends who didn't have any problems when visiting South Africa. But if I wasn't sure about it, I'd keep outward affection to a minimum, as there are still many places in Africa that are very homophobic. Note, two guys holding hands throughout Africa and other parts of the world is often just a sign of friendship, not sexual/physical attraction.
South Africa is not a good barometer, as something like 15-20% of the population is of white European descent...it also has the only nude beaches in all of Africa. They also have the Naked Bike Race, etc. in Cape Town. I also think Cape Town is probably the undisputed gay capital of the entire continent, and if there were any other contenders, it would most likely be from another South Africa city.

In short, most of Africa is more like Uganda. South Africa's political power is mostly held by white South Africans, which reflect more of 2017 European values....than Uganda/etc. which is more held in the pockets by evangelistic churches, and reflect more of a missionary church set of values...i.e. witch hunts against gays, sin, immorality, modesty, etc.

Between Islamic Africa and Evangelical Africa...it's strongly against any displays of public affection for any gay couple. South Africa is pretty much the only exception, and even in South Africa, you should keep the public displays to the wealthier more cosmopolitan areas. (Cape Verde is another exception - it's a little Brazil in the Atlantic off the coast of Africa).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Africa

If you click on the link, you can see that Uganda is not alone....there are quite a few African countries that same sex sexual activity is either Life in Prison or the Death Penalty.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:23 PM

11,704 posts, read 6,293,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
South Africa is not a good barometer, as something like 15-20% of the population is of white European descent...it also has the only nude beaches in all of Africa. They also have the Naked Bike Race, etc. in Cape Town. I also think Cape Town is probably the undisputed gay capital of the entire continent, and if there were any other contenders, it would most likely be from another South Africa city.

In short, most of Africa is more like Uganda. South Africa's political power is mostly held by white South Africans, which reflect more of 2017 European values....than Uganda/etc. which is more held in the pockets by evangelistic churches, and reflect more of a missionary church set of values...i.e. witch hunts against gays, sin, immorality, modesty, etc.

Between Islamic Africa and Evangelical Africa...it's strongly against any displays of public affection for any gay couple. South Africa is pretty much the only exception, and even in South Africa, you should keep the public displays to the wealthier more cosmopolitan areas. (Cape Verde is another exception - it's a little Brazil in the Atlantic off the coast of Africa).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Africa

If you click on the link, you can see that Uganda is not alone....there are quite a few African countries that same sex sexual activity is either Life in Prison or the Death Penalty.
I agree with what you write. Interestingly, while SA has a not-so-insignificant white minority, it took a majority black government to legalize homosexuality in South Africa. I'm curious to know how much of the homophobia in Africa is the result of Christian/European/Islamic influences vs. traditional African values.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 17 days ago)

5,198 posts, read 8,032,452 times
This map should enlighten this topic.

http://ilga.org/what-we-do/maps-sexu...entation-laws/

Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 PM

Here's another map that should shed some light.

Maps | sexual orientation laws

Old 06-06-2017, 06:30 PM

And another one...

Maps | sexual orientation laws

I say that Africa is far behind when it comes to fair treatment of that minority.

While I'm not gay, I do wonder how many people in this forum are and whether anyone here has experience either living or visiting anywhere in Africa as an openly gay person or at least a person who's mannerisms points towards the gay spectrum of things.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:56 PM

691 posts, read 919,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Which one?
A friend from Sierra Leone told me in Nigeria "It is as common as water" I said "You think the Biafra war
caused it? " My friend said "I don't know." I do know for a fact that there is less personal space between
the West African men I knew that would be uncomfortable to most American men.

There was an African film festival I think the movie was from Senegal that dealt with the issue, Two guys
were childhood best friends in a village, one was pressured to get a wife,the other one kept making excuses and one moved to the city..Years later at the end of the movie he showed up on his best friend's doorstep
and his best friend left his wife and child and went off with his childhood friend.

In the movie, the mother said "Men and women have been together since Adam and Eve are you ill?
we should see the medicine man"

There was a Nigerian rock star in the 1970s named "Area Scatter" who was a drag queen..I think Africans
are more homophobic than transphobic. I think either/or Western labels don't apply to ancient indigenous
societies, they are more like Kinsey said on a sliding scale.

The attitude seemed to be like an Iranian man said to us point blank once, "If I can't get a woman, I will
get a man" (But according to the President of Iran "There are no gay people in Iran.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or