U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-24-2017, 01:54 PM
 
6,552 posts, read 9,067,154 times
Reputation: 2837

Advertisements

Ancient Nubian Artifacts Yield Evidence of Earliest Monarchy - The New York Times


This idea above that Egyptian culture came from Nubia was made popular by the excavation work of Keith C. Seele and then Bruce Williams' interpretation of that work. Keith Seele had found Egyptian artifacts in Nubia but Bruce Williams jumped to the conclusion that those Egyptian artifacts found in Nubia meant that Egyptian culture actually originated in Nubia. The problem was Keith Seele's work was incomplete and there were no follow up on his excavation work in Nubia or Sudan because of flooding. Those Egyptian artifacts found in Sudan by Keith Seele could have been the results of Egypt's colonization of Nubia or from trade with Nubia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2017, 01:57 PM
 
17 posts, read 5,368 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Ancient Nubian Artifacts Yield Evidence of Earliest Monarchy - The New York Times


This idea above that Egyptian culture came from Nubia was made popular by the excavation work of Keith C. Seele and then Bruce Williams' interpretation of that work. Keith Seele had found Egyptian artifacts in Nubia but Bruce Williams jumped to the conclusion that those Egyptian artifacts found in Nubia meant that Egyptian culture actually originated in Nubia. The problem was Keith Seele's work was incomplete and there were no follow up on his excavation work in Nubia or Sudan because of flooding. Those Egyptian artifacts found in Sudan by Keith Seele could have been the results of Egypt's colonization of Nubia or from trade with Nubia.
But that does not make sense because there are nubian sites that predate Egypt by thousands of years like Nabta playa which also has some of the oldest astronomical devices on the earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,369 posts, read 19,297,224 times
Reputation: 8485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunne252 View Post
Actually it's Nabta playa in upper Egypt which goes back to 8000 B.C and is/was nubian like, but the Ninians didn't make up one ethnic group so it's pointless to refer as being monolithic some nubian tribes looked like Egyptians while others were very dark skinned

Egypts culture and elements didn't even originate in Egypt, many African cultures and beliefs are actually similar to many the Egyptians had reason being the Green Sahara but let's not get into that as it's a different topic for a different thread, my point is mainly that the Ancient Egyptians didn't only include people of Eurasian stock, it also included Black Africans (who were obviously the founding population).
No idea what makes you say what you did in parentheses.

If black Africans had ever played a big role, it would show in the genes of both ancient and modern Egyptians, but it doesn't, to the contrary, the black African genetic contribution has grown over time, and yet it is still minor today.

The old Egyptians were similar to other civilized peoples around the Mediterranean thousands of years ago. Some of their important places were further south, yes, but along the Nile, which is where they spread. It was still a Mediterranean culture. I actually read that the ancient Egyptians came from the West (what is now Libya) when the Sahara dried up, the Nile was their rescue. They did not come from the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 02:28 PM
 
6,552 posts, read 9,067,154 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunne252 View Post
But that does not make sense because there are nubian sites that predate Egypt by thousands of years like Nabta playa which also has some of the oldest astronomical devices on the earth.


Ok but Nabta Playa is actually located in Egypt.

"Located 100 km west of Abu Simbel in southern Egypt, Nabta Playa is a large internally drained basin, which during the period 11,000 to 5000 years before the present was an important ceremonial center for prehistoric people (Malville et al1998; Wendorf et al 1992-3)."

Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 03:08 PM
 
17 posts, read 5,368 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Ok but Nabta Playa is actually located in Egypt.

"Located 100 km west of Abu Simbel in southern Egypt, Nabta Playa is a large internally drained basin, which during the period 11,000 to 5000 years before the present was an important ceremonial center for prehistoric people (Malville et al1998; Wendorf et al 1992-3)."

Home Page
Yes, but the Nubian part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 07:17 PM
 
17 posts, read 5,368 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No idea what makes you say what you did in parentheses.

If black Africans had ever played a big role, it would show in the genes of both ancient and modern Egyptians, but it doesn't, to the contrary, the black African genetic contribution has grown over time, and yet it is still minor today.

The old Egyptians were similar to other civilized peoples around the Mediterranean thousands of years ago. Some of their important places were further south, yes, but along the Nile, which is where they spread. It was still a Mediterranean culture. I actually read that the ancient Egyptians came from the West (what is now Libya) when the Sahara dried up, the Nile was their rescue. They did not come from the south.
The Culture of AE is very african, it literally is something that one can see bears similarities to other african cultures, traditions and beliefs

Quote:
Other ancient Egyptian practices show strong similarities to modern African
cultures including divine kingship, the use of headrests, body art, circumcision, and male coming-of-age rituals, all suggesting an African substratum or foundation for Egyptian civilization"

Donald Redford (2001) The Oxford encyclopedia of ancient Egypt, Volume 3. Oxford University Press. p.28
There is nearly nothing that is non Africans about Ancient Egypt and genetically time will show who the original main population cluster with, you can't say based on one study based in the new kingdom era off of mummies found in a hyksos site that was known to have migrants that this tells us everything about AE, that doesn't make sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 08:21 PM
 
6,552 posts, read 9,067,154 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunne252 View Post

But that does not make sense because there are nubian sites that predate Egypt by thousands of years like Nabta playa which also has some of the oldest astronomical devices on the earth.
If the people of Nabta Playa were Nubians(blacks). Where in Nubia was the use of astronomical devices continued or built on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 PM
 
6,552 posts, read 9,067,154 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunne252 View Post

The Culture of AE is very african, it literally is something that one can see bears similarities to other african cultures, traditions and beliefs
Did the ancient Egyptians use talking drums? Talking drums are a significant part of most west,central and southern African cultures. I've never known of talking drums being associated with Egyptian culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 04:34 AM
 
17 posts, read 5,368 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
If the people of Nabta Playa were Nubians(blacks). Where in Nubia was the use of astronomical devices continued or built on?
Just like a how fire starts small in one area and makes its way into another and when it does get bigger

Likewise the Nile valley civilisation made its way into Egypt through time.

Stone circles that aligned with the stars became pyramids that aligned with the stars, do you see the progression?

Last edited by Dunne252; 08-25-2017 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 04:44 AM
 
17 posts, read 5,368 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Did the ancient Egyptians use talking drums? Talking drums are a significant part of most west,central and southern African cultures. I've never known of talking drums being associated with Egyptian culture.
They used drums, but I am not sure if they used the drums you're talking about ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top