Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 02:26 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to note that "negroid" and the other "oids" are outdated and no longer a part of the scientific lexicon.

I can also understand Troy not trusting scientist due to history in a sense, but today there is a lot of DNA genetic evidence showing that the mother of humanity (X chromosome) originated in Africa, not Mesopotamia/Western Asia. All sorts of scientists participate in DNA genetic research including black Americans and various scientists from African nations, including Egypt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Is it my fault that blacks don't work in labs doing the genetic analysis? And if they did, would they come to different results based on the same gene samples? If it is science, they hardly could come to different conclusions just because they are black researchers.
Is it my fault that blacks did not invent the wheel first?

Just because I am not American does not mean I don't know AA history. I did a sort of thesis on AA history in high school (in the course of English as a foreign language).
I just don't think it makes sense to look for a collective AA self-esteem or identity. Actually, if I were AA, I would not want to be hijacked by certain AA leaders because of my skin color, I would rather be associated with liberal whites and Asians, frankly.
On the above, there are blacks who work in labs and who do genetic analysis.... I believe that the study of DNA and the genome has really shown us that "race" as a social construct, really is a social construct, and doesn't exist biologically from a continental perspective like many people still believe it does (basically believing that all Europeans are white/caucasoid and all Africans are black/negoid and all Asians are "mongloid" or whatever you want to call them). Genetic discoveries show that instead of these antiquated terms, that "ancestry" is not specific to skin color. You can pluck two sub-saharan Africans from a couple different cultures and they more than likely would be further away genetically than a black vs white American for instance.

On "AA history" I honestly would not believe you know much of anything about black American history based on the bold. Also, one cannot learn in depth about black American history and culture just by doing a thesis. It takes a lifetime of study and research. I am an amateur historian and a genealogical researcher and I am black and feel I only scratch the surface of the beauty of black America and I know WAY more than even most black Americans know of our history and culture. If you knew about us historically and culturally, you would not have a disdain for our culture or insinuate that we'd even want to be associated with "liberal whites and Asians." That shows a huge ignorance about black American culture and history.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:26 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the above, there are blacks who work in labs and who do genetic analysis.... I believe that the study of DNA and the genome has really shown us that "race" as a social construct, really is a social construct, and doesn't exist biologically from a continental perspective like many people still believe it does (basically believing that all Europeans are white/caucasoid and all Africans are black/negoid and all Asians are "mongloid" or whatever you want to call them). Genetic discoveries show that instead of these antiquated terms, that "ancestry" is not specific to skin color. You can pluck two sub-saharan Africans from a couple different cultures and they more than likely would be further away genetically than a black vs white American for instance.

On "AA history" I honestly would not believe you know much of anything about black American history based on the bold. Also, one cannot learn in depth about black American history and culture just by doing a thesis. It takes a lifetime of study and research. I am an amateur historian and a genealogical researcher and I am black and feel I only scratch the surface of the beauty of black America and I know WAY more than even most black Americans know of our history and culture. If you knew about us historically and culturally, you would not have a disdain for our culture or insinuate that we'd even want to be associated with "liberal whites and Asians." That shows a huge ignorance about black American culture and history.
I do think there are races. Just because there has been mixing in some zones, does not mean there are or were no races. There is nothing negative about races. The term race has only been abandoned because of racism.

You ripped my quote out of context. I did not say that if I were black I would prefer to be associated with liberal whites or Asians. What I said is that I would rather be associated with liberal whites and Asians than be hijacked by certain AA leaders such as Jesse Jackson. I don't think much of those loud civil rights people, many of whom seem morally flawed. I would not be on someone's side just because they happen to share my skin color. Else I would be racist.

Since you say "our history and culture", I would not even want to be put in the African-American drawer. Just like I don't want to be put in the Nordic drawer just because I happen to be from the North. I have no interest in other people just because they happen to look similar.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I do think there are races. Just because there has been mixing in some zones, does not mean there are or were no races. There is nothing negative about races. The term race has only been abandoned because of racism.

You ripped my quote out of context. I did not say that if I were black I would prefer to be associated with liberal whites or Asians. What I said is that I would rather be associated with liberal whites and Asians than be hijacked by certain AA leaders such as Jesse Jackson. I don't think much of those loud civil rights people, many of whom seem morally flawed. I would not be on someone's side just because they happen to share my skin color. Else I would be racist.

Since you say "our history and culture", I would not even want to be put in the African-American drawer. Just like I don't want to be put in the Nordic drawer just because I happen to be from the North. I have no interest in other people just because they happen to look similar.
Then again, you don't know about our history and culture. As a Scandinavian/Nordic, if you are from a Scandinavian country, you more than likely would know of your culture and history as a Nordic person and you can take from it whatever you'd like from it. I am a black American. The history and culture of blacks in America goes back hundreds of years and it is something of great inspiration to me personally. Not everyone is "into" history or cultural studies. But again, doing a thesis doesn't mean you know a lot about black American culture. Jesse Jackson is not a prominent figure in the history and culture of black Americans either.

Activism is a huge part of black American culture. Without blacks in this nation being loudmouths for hundreds of years (it didn't start with the 1960s BTW lol) rights to not only blacks but various other ethnic groups in America would have never been provided like they are today.

On being "morally flawed" I honestly find that rather ironic considering that I was educated in culture by various elders in my own family (even though I didn't know it was cultural education at the time). My great grandmother was my babysitter when I was a young child. When I got into genealogy and interviewed her about her life and what she felt about various topics, on the subject of "race" and "racism" she plainly stated that blacks were "morally superior" to white Americans from an historic perspective. We do not have a history of oppressing other groups of people based on their appearance or a history of terrorism against groups of other Americans like whites have in this nation. I was pretty shocked she said that when I was a teen, but when she explained her own life and living around predominantly white people, I could and can still see how she came to the conclusion that she did. So you viewing civil rights activists as "morally inferior" from my own perspective and knowledge of black history and activism and what was called "community" or "social uplift" is odd. Will note though that Jesse Jackson is not considered by most black Americans to be a "black leader." He and other TV activists are only 'black leaders' to white people. They pay them more attention than blacks do today.

And that is fine if you have no interest in your own countrymen. My comments were specific to the fact that you are not well learned in black American history and culture. We share a culture and history in this nation, probably much moreso than Nordics in their own country who have may have different customs or dialects or languages in the Nordic lands. That is not the case for black America. We do not have a bond based on how we look. It is a shared history and culture.

This thread is about Africa and African lands. I personally do not believe we share much of a history or culture with Africa as black Americans today. We are not considered African in Africa, we are Americans. We have our own history and culture. However, that doesn't mean I cannot enjoy and admire and respect the various cultures of Africans. I would also never claim to know everything about "African culture" based on writing a paper or watching a documentary. And believe me (if you can't tell) I'm rather wordy and have written a number of thesis papers in my life. A good writer of a thesis creates a thesis statement about a specific subject or topic. "Black history" and "black culture" are too broad of a topic to include everything in one paper. If one writes about black culture, they should (if they are a decent writer) focus on a specific part of black culture like "activism" mentioned earlier. If you are writing about black history, you'd pick a particular historical era or topic, like "black abolitionists" for instance (which is a focus of my own research and I learn more and more about this topic every single day).

Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 AM

Of course reading is enough. That's the way entire sciences work, Egyptology etc. And unlike Egypt, AA society is very recent and still there and hence very accessible.

I don't think blacks were or are morally superior. Especially not black Africans (who fought and enslaved each other long before whites arrived in Africa). Maybe black Americans were initially, due to the victim status during the slavery era. But certainly not today, according to crime statistics, scandals etc.

Again, I don't think all black Americans want to be put into the AA drawer, that the NAACP pretends to represent, accusing everyone of racism and so on. I heard for instance that African and Carribean immigrants try to avoid being lumped together with African-Americans.

I agree though that AA's have little to do with Africa these days.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:30 PM

281 posts, read 308,976 times
Quote:
Of course reading is enough. That's the way entire sciences work, Egyptology etc. And unlike Egypt, AA society is very recent and still there and hence very accessible.

I don't think blacks were or are morally superior. Especially not black Africans (who fought and enslaved each other long before whites arrived in Africa). Maybe black Americans were initially, due to the victim status during the slavery era. But certainly not today, according to crime statistics, scandals etc.

Again, I don't think all black Americans want to be put into the AA drawer, that the NAACP pretends to represent, accusing everyone of racism and so on. I heard for instance that African and Carribean immigrants try to avoid being lumped together with African-Americans.

Let me start with this...Check out this post in the Los Angeles vibe:
An LAPD officer accidentally filmed himself putting cocaine in a suspect's wallet
https://www.yahoo.com/newsroom/vibes...e-3e7d00c155bd

The above took place not in 1955, nor did it take place in Biloxi Mississippi. It took place in 2017, in Los Angeles, California! Now, you think for a minute I would just blindly believe anything a white person had to tell me? Stop. The Egyptians were obviously mixed race, but a good part of that mix was negroid. You know it and I know it. Trying to steal the cultures of other people, and make them white, simply because you wish you invented the things they invented, doesn't make them white. Sorry.

I don't really know what nationality you are, I'm going to assume your white until I hear otherwise. And I will also assume you are American. The thing that makes white people about less morally superior than just about every other race on the planet, is the fact much of the morally corrupt actions of other people is caused initially by them. It's easy to condemn and ostracize the ghetto drug dealer, never addressing why they're ghetto in the first place. It's easy to talk about the Civil Wars in South America, never addressing the pillaging of resources by the United States and other countries, that cause these people to fight over scraps in the first place. Perhaps you're a dummy, but I think you know enough about world history to know Anglo-Saxon hands are sullied with the blood of Millions!

Old 11-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:

On the black, again, you are showing your ignorance. Black people have been in America since the 1600s. We have a society that has been in existence longer than many European countries like Germany and Italy. I personally have ancestors who lived in the Virginia colonies in the late 1600s.

On the blue, my comments were specific to black Americans. If you actually were knowledgeable about black American history and culture, you would know that black Americans in the 19th century had an argument against free and/or emancipated black Americans being sent "back to Africa." One of their reasons - which Frederick Douglass (an actual "black leader") even spoke about - was the fact that Africans who sold our ancestors for trinkets and liquor were no better than white Europeans slave holders and so it made no sense to leave our country - which he called "our native land" to live amongst people who were vastly culturally different from us as black Americans. Again, you are showing your ignorance on this subject. You should just bow out on it and not speak on things you know very little about.

In regards to the pink all Americans have crime statistics, not just blacks. And America is general is much more criminally prone as a nation than most other industrialized nations in the world and even a lot of third world countries. Crime also has nothing to do with black American culture.

What you think about what black Americans not wanting to be put in an "AA drawer" is based upon your own opinion and ignorance of what black Americans are or our history. I will note, that I do not consider myself an "African American" because I am not culturally African and like the overwhelming majority of black Americans, I am not even genetically (from a recent perspective) entirely of African origin. Most black Americans are 75% African, 24% European and 1% indigenous American.

Black Americans have never had much to do with Africa. We are Americans. Africans in various tribes/nations consider us as such as well.

And on what my great grandmother said, I honestly do believe that she was correct from an historic perspective. From an historical perspective, black Americans have been much more moral than whites in this country. Again, we have never denied anyone an opportunity for an education, for economic improvement, never systematically oppressed anyone, never given license to other blacks to kill or commit crimes against other people on a wide scale with no repercussions (which is funny to me that you brought up crimes when whites were terrorists against blacks in this nation for 350 out of the last 400 years basically - very recent society that you seem to ignore).

If you are truly interested in learning about black history and culture, you nee to read some books written by reputable historians and sociologist who focus on the topics.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 11-16-2017 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-16-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Biologically all humans are the same race.

Today, with the advances of biogenetic DNA ancestry testing, it is shown that a large percent of black American men in particular have a European haplogroup - FWIW I actually know some black men in some of my genealogical circles who belong to a Scandinavian/Nordic haplogroup.

The genetics of someone is not dependent on their outer appearance. The sociological concept of race is based entirely on outward appearance and/or very recent ancestry (parents/grandparents). Breakthroughs in this field show that these sociological inventions regarding race (negroid, caucasoid, mongloid, etc.) do not exist biogenetically and they are being phased out for research purposes. If you want to continue to hold onto these old ideas when DNA research shows that there is no such thing genetically as "race" then that is on you. But there isn't.

For your perusal: Race is a Social Construct, Scientist Argue

Will note that the first paragraph of this essay mentions WEB DuBois an actual "black leader." If you want to learn about black American history and culture, you should read his work, especially "Black Reconstruction in America." You can find it for free online.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
Now, you think for a minute I would just blindly believe anything a white person had to tell me? Stop. The Egyptians were obviously mixed race, but a good part of that mix was negroid. You know it and I know it. Trying to steal the cultures of other people, and make them white, simply because you wish you invented the things they invented, doesn't make them white. Sorry.
Funny how you take the current scientific consensus overwhelmingly developed by white scientists that Egypt was a multi-racial society over its long history and that sub-Saharan negroids were a fundamental component of it, and then twist it that said consensus is a viewpoint held only by woke African-Americans like yourself and that the white scientific community is trying to convince the world that Egypt was Nordic. I assume you haven't read any Egyptology published later than 1830.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Biologically all humans are the same race.

Today, with the advances of biogenetic DNA ancestry testing, it is shown that a large percent of black American men in particular have a European haplogroup - FWIW I actually know some black men in some of my genealogical circles who belong to a Scandinavian/Nordic haplogroup.

The genetics of someone is not dependent on their outer appearance. The sociological concept of race is based entirely on outward appearance and/or very recent ancestry (parents/grandparents). Breakthroughs in this field show that these sociological inventions regarding race (negroid, caucasoid, mongloid, etc.) do not exist biogenetically and they are being phased out for research purposes. If you want to continue to hold onto these old ideas when DNA research shows that there is no such thing genetically as "race" then that is on you. But there isn't.

For your perusal: Race is a Social Construct, Scientist Argue

Will note that the first paragraph of this essay mentions WEB DuBois an actual "black leader." If you want to learn about black American history and culture, you should read his work, especially "Black Reconstruction in America." You can find it for free online.
I don't agree. Humans are like dogs, each is one species with many races that can have offspring (which is the main criterion that makes us one species).
I am not claiming there (still) are pedigree humans...

I vaguely remember DuBois from my thesis 35 years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa