U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 AM

15,449 posts, read 7,883,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
1. Again, to most people African means black. That's why Americans of Egyptian, Libyan etc. ancestry are not African-Americans. They would strongly reject the notion of being African-American.
Yes, Egypt is part of the Mediterranean, even Portugal is, despite not even bordering on the Mediterranean Sea the way Egypt does.

2. So? The shade of brown does not change the fact that Negroid people are referred to as blacks. Just like whites include all shades of pale (not even white), from Indian to Scandinavian. Still, they are all considered white.

3. Again, I am open to surprises, but so far there has been no discovery yet that showed that any black African civilization was so advanced.

4. I said African-Americans did not have a COMMON culture for a long time. And the one that is supposedly there now is not one I would want to be part of if I were a black American.

Regarding your quote, the problem is that there IS no evidence to the contrary so far.
LOL

1 - Anyone who isn't ignorant about the world knows that "Africa" is a continent that includes countries and people of the continent. Only rather dull people IMO think that "Africa" equals "black." And I never said that anyone in Africa was an "African American" Hell, I said I wasn't an "African American."

2. That is also a dull view of the world. Everyone cannot be put into a color box and as noted science today shows there is no such thing as a biological "race." Race is sociological.

3. As Motion indicated "advanced" depends on what categories you are using. Most African societies were heavy on business/trade - that is why they engaged in the slave trade BTW. They were very advanced in trade and markets compared to other civilizations, even the ones you do know about were. That is why you know about them because Europeans interacted from a business perspective with those people.

4. I told you that black Americans have had a common culture since 1700, I am black so would know my own culture more than you. That is a long time or would you not agree? And you reiterated that we don't have a culture in your comment above. As I noted, you should just admit you are (in this case willfully) ignorant about the fact that we do have a culture. BTW there is a Smithsonian Museum in DC that is specific to "African American" culture. You should visit it when the willfulness portion of your ignorance decides to decline and let you consider the fact that black Americans have had a culture for over 300 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 AM

21,396 posts, read 19,311,556 times
1. That's not the point. It is mere geography. When people say Asians, they don't think of Iranians or Israelis, either, but of the Chinese or Japanese etc., despite Iran and Israel being part of Asia.
Your comment "And I never said that anyone in Africa was an "African American" " implies that I said you had said that. But I have not made any comment like that whatsoever. I merely gave you an example why African means black to most people. African-American does not include Americans of North African ancestry, but only of black African ancestry. In other words, African stands for black African.

2. Race is there, whether you like it or not. No PC can change that. That's also why we have terms like "mixed-race relationships". If there were no races, the term would not make any sense. But since mixed-race relationships are a liberal and positive idea, the term is deemed ok.

3. Sorry, trading to me doesn't imply being advanced. Being advanced to me implies science, technology, literature, creativity in general, etc.

4. NOW African-Americans have a more or less common culture (although that is not really a good thing, nor do all African-Americans take part in it), but that was not the case for a long time. There was no common AA culture 300 years ago. Just because you are African-American, doesn't mean everything you claim is correct. You clearly have an agenda, judging from your posts.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Ajami (modified Arabic)
Tifinagh
Geez
Meroitic
Nsibidi
Adrinka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^

I was thinking more about the type of writing that would allow people to leave written records for people living below the Sahara. I haven't known of any written records that used Adinkra.
For the OP the other writing systems mentioned by that poster were used in part for records.

As I noted to Neuling, many people just don't know much about the history and peoples of the kingdoms of Africa. They also base their knowledge primarily on 20th century European historians/sociologist who were invested in a "black inferiority" ideology early on. The later researchers/archealogist who wrote about African kingdoms who were of European or (white) American descent, many of them were shunned in the 19th and 20th centuries for even theorizing anything significant for Africa so the information is not readily known to the public today except those few kingdoms that were so large and that had such a record of interacting with Europeans and Asians in regards to trade that they could not be ignored.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
1. That's not the point. It is mere geography. When people say Asians, they don't think of Iranians or Israelis, either, but of the Chinese or Japanese etc., despite Iran and Israel being part of Asia.
Your comment "And I never said that anyone in Africa was an "African American" " implies that I said you had said that. But I have not made any comment like that whatsoever. I merely gave you an example why African means black to most people. African-American does not include Americans of North African ancestry, but only of black African ancestry. In other words, African stands for black African.

2. Race is there, whether you like it or not. No PC can change that. That's also why we have terms like "mixed-race relationships". If there were no races, the term would not make any sense. But since mixed-race relationships are a liberal and positive idea, the term is deemed ok.

3. Sorry, trading to me doesn't imply being advanced. Being advanced to me implies science, technology, literature, creativity in general, etc.

4. NOW African-Americans have a more or less common culture (although that is not really a good thing, nor do all African-Americans take part in it), but that was not the case for a long time. There was no common AA culture 300 years ago. Just because you are African-American, doesn't mean everything you claim is correct. You clearly have an agenda, judging from your posts.
1 - The point is that continents are continents. I don't ascribe to the idiocy of the masses and neither should the rest of us if we are thinking beings.

2 - You believing in the concept race is actually "PC" (politically correct - politics is a part of social dynamics/sociology) my view is based on scientific discovery of race not being biological.

3 - You have your own subjective opinion that is based on your own biases and viewpoints

4 - When did black Americans develop a "common" culture since you think we have one today? When did it start? (lol that you think we have one now but didn't 100-200-300 years ago) I have no agenda, I am just stating facts (Egypt is in Africa, race is a sociological concept, there were great civilizations in Africa and black Americans have a deep culture and cultural history - these are all facts. You are the one with the agenda it seems).

Last edited by residinghere2007; 12-08-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-08-2017, 01:17 PM

1) If that is idiocy, US Americans are also idiots as they refer to themselve as Americans while Brazilians and Mexicans are also Americans.

2) Of course it is biological. Geneticists can tell from the genes whether a person has black ancestry or not.

3) I apply the same aspects that are part of IQ testing. It's language, logics, maths, science etc. I don't think much of soft skills. A lot of young people here study communication or tourism. And I often feel like replying, really? Who cares whether you studied that soft stuff, it's as if you didn't have any degree at all in my view.

4) I didn't say 100-200-300 years ago. I would say a common AA culture and identity started about 1.5 centuries ago.

"Egypt is in Africa, race is a sociological concept, there were great civilizations in Africa and black Americans have a deep culture and cultural history - these are all facts. You are the one with the agenda it seems)"

What you call facts is wishful thinking to others...

Civilization is a very strong term, which implies great scope and duration. I don't know of any "great civilization" in black Africa, frankly.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
4) I didn't say 100-200-300 years ago. I would say a common AA culture and identity started about 1.5 centuries ago.
So you think black American culture started after the Civil War....lol

You should visit the museum I mentioned in DC if you want to learn and read the works and about the lives of early black Americans, including Frederick Douglass and his association with black abolitionists and their activities. Also William Lambert (who knew Frederick Douglass) and William Still who also knew Frederick Douglass who were conductors and administrators of the underground railroad before the Civil War. William Still and Lambert even knew each other and both were well traveled as blacks of that era had a very connected network of communication. There were also black media outlets at the time across the US (as far as San Franscisco, CA) with national subscribers prior to the Civil War and the black churches were the primary institutions that provided aid to black Americans prior to the Civil War. The AME and African Episcopal churches have their roots in the late 1700s and by the early 1800s they were nationwide and in Canada serving runaway black American slaves. Will note that even if you only think our culture is 150 years old, I'd think that is a long time. Nice to see you have at least admitted that we have a culture and that is historically over 100 years old. You can actually see the light if lead there lol.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So you think black American culture started after the Civil War....lol

You should visit the museum I mentioned in DC if you want to learn and read the works and about the lives of early black Americans, including Frederick Douglass and his association with black abolitionists and their activities. Also William Lambert (who knew Frederick Douglass) and William Still who also knew Frederick Douglass who were conductors and administrators of the underground railroad before the Civil War. William Still and Lambert even knew each other and both were well traveled as blacks of that era had a very connected network of communication. There were also black media outlets at the time across the US (as far as San Franscisco, CA) with national subscribers prior to the Civil War and the black churches were the primary institutions that provided aid to black Americans prior to the Civil War. The AME and African Episcopal churches have their roots in the late 1700s and by the early 1800s they were nationwide and in Canada serving runaway black American slaves. Will note that even if you only think our culture is 150 years old, I'd think that is a long time. Nice to see you have at least admitted that we have a culture and that is historically over 100 years old. You can actually see the light if lead there lol.
You have the habit of sloppy reading and putting words into my mouth.
I have never said there was no AA culture.
Nor had I made any statement regarding the time frame before, so, nothing has changed about my view. 100 or 150 years is little by global standards, just like the US as a whole is just a teenage country.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:36 PM

1,224 posts, read 581,166 times
Man, I hate to break up this little social engineering exercise but if you're melanated....you have to find other sources because some of these other non-melanated posters are just giving us what we expected of them. They may or may not know but just let them have it.

Just so that I don't get this post deleted: Using my overall common sense, Kemet's indigenous people were melanated and had a strong relationship with some Nubian groups to the point that Kemet adopted a lot of culture and blended with some Nubian groups. But yeah...back to how melanted Americans should only focus on South of the Sahara-West Africa and leave East Africa/North to everyone else.

Last edited by 80s_kid; 02-10-2018 at 05:52 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 07:10 PM

6,560 posts, read 9,072,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post

Just so that I don't get this post deleted: Using my overall common sense, Kemet's indigenous people were melanated and had a strong relationship with some Nubian groups to the point that Kemet adopted a lot of culture and blended with some Nubian groups.

What culture did Kemet/Egypt adopt from the Nubians?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:45 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times
These groups also claim the first Buddhist and Native Americans were also from Africa. These weird pseudo africentric groups are mostly based out NYC and not to be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or