U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 09:23 PM

6,553 posts, read 9,067,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

And has there been any proof that West Africans had no connection to Egypt? No, I don't think there has been.
Do you know if the ancient Egyptians used talking drums?

I can't find any examples of them using them. Talking drums are common in many west and central African cultures. If the ancient Egyptians used them then that could be a significant cultural similarity with other Africans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 09:24 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Well, it's nice to have some activity on the Africa thread.

But why does it have to be some political anti-African-American thread....???

Isn't there already a Political Forum for this?

Let's hear about AFRICA itself.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Can't we just talk about AFRICA on this forum? *sigh*.
I don't see nothing anti-African-American about this thread. Also African related topics can be broad.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I don't see nothing anti-African-American about this thread. Also African related topics can be broad.
Well, I think the spirit of the forum is relocation. Relocation to American cities. Granted the World Forums take on more of a travel nature or tourism nature.

A "Why Claim Egypt" is a political-motivated thread targeted specifically for African-Americans or white Americans interested in the political debate with the African-American segment who might be interested in this 'debate'.

Granted the agitator types probably are all over the Political Forum already, but this seems like a net casting to catch some AA's who might not ordinarily be interested in viewing the Political Forum.

Whether it has a purpose on the AFRICA FORUM...I guess that could be debated as well.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 PM

11,665 posts, read 6,271,423 times
Jabari Osaze is a smart guy. I've met him and his wife a couple of times. I don't disagree with him and he brings about a different approach than some Afrocentrists often do.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Jabari Osaze is a smart guy. I've met him and his wife a couple of times. I don't disagree with him and he brings about a different approach than some Afrocentrists often do.
I'm not big on him referring to the ancient Egyptians as the ancestors of Black-Americans just because we Black-Americans have African backgrounds. The ancient Egyptians were the ancestors of modern day Egyptians only. Acknowledging that the Egyptians were an African people is accurate. Just don't go beyond that and making them the ancestors of all other African people. Ancestry is specific.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:57 PM

691 posts, read 918,542 times
He wants to claim Egypt for several reasons:

Ancient Egypt has been universally known and has fascinated the Western mind for a long time, research has been done,
movies made, media coverage, unique monuments huge and still standing. He thinks that the West African kingdoms and
societies where some of his ancestors may have actually come from don't really measure up to Ancient Egypt.

He is making a racial connection to Ancient Egypt based on the Afrocentric assumption that the Ancient Egyptians were
"Black". He is an American product of the American "White" vs. "Black" race problem. A lot of these cults and movements
among Black Americans developed as a coping mechanism and reaction to White American racism.

This has little to do with actual facts and research and more with emotional reaction to oppression and marginalization from the dominant society real or perceived. These oppositional groups and sub-cultures and cults: Afro-centrics, Black Hebrews,
Black Muslims, One Percenters etc. have a common thread subtext:" The Truth which was hidden from you all these years
is that you are a Great People and are really the famous group (fill in the blank)."

Emotional appeal to alienated people and no actual research to back it up but lots of times psuedo-research to promote an ideology. That is like some White Supremacists like to claim Greece,Rome and Egypt too. when they are actually descended
from Celts, Visigoths and Saxons whom Rome had to "civilize".

It is telling that a lot of these groups started right after Slavery and the beginning of the 20th Century or during the Depression when a lot of Americans were psychologically and socially dislocated.

People like to claim that which is great.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM

12,264 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Go to 52:28 of this video.

Jabari Osaze touches on this issue of Black-Americans and African descendant people in general who connect themselves to ancient Egypt(Kemet). What's your opinion of his reasoning on this? (link deleted)
Why are you cross posting this link in other threads (yeah it got laughed out of the history forum)? Do you get some money for everyone that clicks on this video?

Second question: Why is MC Hammer calling himself jabari osaze now?

Old 06-19-2017, 11:33 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
The difference would be the centuries of destructive propaganda and subhuman treatment that whites were not subjected to.
Yes, but how does that validate making up imaginary ancestries and black supremacist values?

Racial supremacy is simply not a scientifically supported concept, and bitterness over past oppression and grasping at some sense of false glory does not change that fact.

And as far as destructive propaganda and subhuman treatment, Europeans populations may not have been oppressed based on the criterium of race, but if you think the ancestry of Europeans, or anyone on the planet for that matter, including the self-styled descendants of Egyptian kings, was one of luxury and privilege, you are stunningly ignorant.

I mean, according some strains of Afrocentrism, while the Egyptians were living in a fabulous and luxurious society on the backs of slaves, Europeans were translucent apes grunting in caves. Talk about subhuman...

Old 06-19-2017, 01:28 PM

909 posts, read 666,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Isn't there already a Political Forum for this?

Let's hear about AFRICA itself.
Not enough actual Africans on the board for that to happen...one or two Africans can't do it either...has to be a big enough community of Africans to combat the inevitable anti-Blackness rhetoric that will be sent their way albeit carefully concealed so as not to appear racist

What you get instead are threads like these where a couple of non-Blacks define what afro-centrists are...afro-centrism is largely a Black diaspora phenomena and should be discussed in another forum...it arose because of a people's longing to define themselves due to being told by others that they were nothing but worthless slaves...for obvious reasons, it really seems to bother some when Blacks choose to define themselves in a way not consistent with how others would like for us to be defined...but back to the main point...I agree with you...the Africa forum on city-data is underutilized and under-developed as a forum to actually learn about Africa

I commend you for your consistent efforts in trying to bring life to this forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or