U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 03:58 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,836,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
European people went wrong. Africa had kingdoms, they just didn't know about the white walkers from the north.
But that has little to do with current Egyptians in my opinion, many black dominicans don't think they are black...
Blaming other people for current African issues is getting us where exactly? A moral victory? A pat on the back? Nowhere, thatís where it gets you. Africa exploited itself as much as Europe exploited it. Our reliance on those who continue to exploit Africa is all the more hilarious. Itís Europe's fault! Oops I mean come back Europe we need your investments and trade. Stay back Europe! Youíve exploited this continent enough! Come back! We need your money!

Perhaps black Dominicans would consider themselves to be black if being black came with pride. It doesnít and there are many people who are ashamed of it of which I canít blame them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 06:56 AM

1,593 posts, read 835,824 times
Quote:
European people went wrong. Africa had kingdoms, they just didn't know about the white walkers from the north.
But that has little to do with current Egyptians in my opinion, many black dominicans don't think they are black...

The Sahara is a big divider. If I look at the statues the Egyptions made they don't look like Black people

Old 07-30-2018, 07:15 AM

3,774 posts, read 2,040,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Perhaps black Dominicans would consider themselves to be black if being black came with pride. It doesnít and there are many people who are ashamed of it of which I canít blame them.
Dominican don't have pride in being black (despite sharing an island with obviously black people...but whatever) because of a propaganda campaign by Trujillo and a need to distance themselves from those who once occupied them. It's the result of brain washing. Has nothing to do with shame.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:47 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,782,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Blaming other people for current African issues is getting us where exactly? A moral victory? A pat on the back? Nowhere, thatís where it gets you. Africa exploited itself as much as Europe exploited it. Our reliance on those who continue to exploit Africa is all the more hilarious. Itís Europe's fault! Oops I mean come back Europe we need your investments and trade. Stay back Europe! Youíve exploited this continent enough! Come back! We need your money!

Africa doesn't need European anything, nor American. I never thought that all your point is on deaf ears. You're not black obviously, I'm extremely proud to be black. Sorry if you are to simple minded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
The Sahara is a big divider. If I look at the statues the Egyptions made they don't look like Black people
Egypt was the only kingdom? Mmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Dominican don't have pride in being black (despite sharing an island with obviously black people...but whatever) because of a propaganda campaign by Trujillo and a need to distance themselves from those who once occupied them. It's the result of brain washing. Has nothing to do with shame.
Thank you. It's the same in every former European colony, racism is rampant.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:33 AM

1,593 posts, read 835,824 times
Quote:
Africa doesn't need European anything, nor American. I never thought that all your point is on deaf ears. You're not black obviously, I'm extremely proud to be black. Sorry if you are to simple minded.

Egypt was the only kingdom? Mmmm

Thank you. It's the same in every former European colony, racism is rampant.

In a thread about Egypt... So yeah Egypt is the only Kingdom I was talking about

Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 AM

56,701 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
It wasn't always what it is now though. So, considering that people crossed it and continue to cross it for centuries, it may not have been as big of a divide like some may think it is.

An example: Musa, Mansa (1280-1337) | The Black Past: Remembered and Reclaimed

Actually, learned about him, as well as the Mali, Ghana and Songhai empires in middle school.

More information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Saharan_trade

Old 07-30-2018, 01:01 PM

5,196 posts, read 4,680,773 times
Afrocentrism is basically Nordicism dipped in chocolate.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:28 PM

24,244 posts, read 17,632,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It's a false comparison I don't know how informed you are on this topic but there is a small segment of black Americans who go to great lengths to hijack cultures that are not theirs and claim they are the true descendants. They claim they are the real Hebrews, the real Moors, the real Egyptians, the real Carthaginians, the real Sumerians, etc etc etc these people insert themselves in discussions on the internet among people of those cultures where they clearly are not welcomed and stir up all kinds of chaos and spread ignorant lies. I've even seen some of these delusional confused whack jobs try to insert themselves into the history of the Iberian peninsula and try to tell our story from their psychotic perspective. They aren't welcomed and will always be viewed as hostile interlopers from my point of view. So I respectfully disagree with you about it being just a personal issue it's cultural warfare and they are the thieves.
There is little to know mention of West Africa or for that matter anything to do in Africa in k-12 education. So African Americans claiming all those identities wouldn't know much about Africa as a whole.

But then again, the "African American" identity is a creation of white America. There are very few 100% Africans among African Americans. Most of us do have a variety of ethnic groups in our family trees, and this is born out via genetic testing.

As to how people identity with the various aspects of their ancestry, and how they interact with it, that is entirely up to the individual.

Many African Americans do have some Jewish ancestry (via slavery) and further back during the empire of Mali there were Jewish people there. So for Africans or those of African descent who chose to identify with that side of their ancestry, they have every right to.

Also you really shouldn't comment on African Americans or other groups if you only have at best superficial or outsider knowledge.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:34 PM

24,244 posts, read 17,632,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Stop stereotyping people. Are there self hating Dominicans? Yes. But many Dominicans are proud to be Black and are coming forward and saying so.

And while you do have Dominicans who bleach their skin (Sammy Sosa) the same is true of Michael Jackson and Lil Kim. Don't try to act like no African Americans suffer from self hate.

The Haitians and the Dominicans are essentially the same people. Spain colonized Hispanola and more or less worked the Natives to death. They brought in lots of African slaves. France invaded the island and managed to take the Western 1/3. And that's essentially the difference between the DR and Haiti. Go to the DR and you'll find lots of very Black (As in very dark skinned people).

Old 07-30-2018, 06:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,040,940 times
Exactly. Our identity was stolen and hidden from us, and oral history is not always accurate. You hear your whole life, "We are part Native American," and it is assumed that we all have a white person in our family. So far, I haven't found any white ancestors (and I'm not looking for them ), although I did find a black ancestor with assets shortly after slavery, so I'm wondering if that person was the child of an owner. There were many different groups sold into slavery. They weren't just who we know as "African-Americans" today. Blacks are made to feel like trash because of slavery, but the colonizers knew EXACTLY who they were taking out of Africa to build their new world. And those people weren't uneducated and unskilled. By a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There is little to know mention of West Africa or for that matter anything to do in Africa in k-12 education. So African Americans claiming all those identities wouldn't know much about Africa as a whole.

But then again, the "African American" identity is a creation of white America. There are very few 100% Africans among African Americans. Most of us do have a variety of ethnic groups in our family trees, and this is born out via genetic testing.

As to how people identity with the various aspects of their ancestry, and how they interact with it, that is entirely up to the individual.

Many African Americans do have some Jewish ancestry (via slavery) and further back during the empire of Mali there were Jewish people there. So for Africans or those of African descent who chose to identify with that side of their ancestry, they have every right to.

Also you really shouldn't comment on African Americans or other groups if you only have at best superficial or outsider knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or