U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:41 AM

11,985 posts, read 17,500,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You're projecting. Most black people don't give a damn about Egypt. You're showing your ignorance and just making things up based on your biases. As was said by two people before me, blacks who make any mention of Egypt usually do so in relation to Kemet. You all should really start socialing with black people instead of learning about them through media platforms. Expand your life.
Calm down.

Of course it is not a majority of black people. Good grief, nobody thinks that. None the less, there is a minority that does indeed buy into all of this.

Ignorance? I grew up in a majority African-American city. I have been hearing and viewing this belief all my life.

You should save your rage and energy to lecture those who seem to think they descend from Cleopatra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 11:44 AM

3,774 posts, read 2,036,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Ignorance? I grew up in a majority African-American city.
What does this prove other than you lived in a place that has more black people than white? A white person has the privilege of never having to interact with anyone non-white if they choose. There are white people in Atlanta. How many of them live in black neighborhoods?

You all's logic is hilarious.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
What does this prove other than you lived in a place that has more black people than white? A white person has the privilege of never having to interact with anyone non-white if they choose. There are white people in Atlanta. How many of them live in black neighborhoods?

You all's logic is hilarious.
It proves everything.

And you are dead wrong as I never had the "privilege" (rather odd word, no?) of not interacting with scores of black people. I don't have to back up my cred to the likes of you.

Anyway, you are not making a shed of sense. Your rage and confusion would be hilarious were it not so sad.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 PM

I interact with many white people on a daily basis. Does that mean they are my friends?
Does that mean I understand them? Interacting with someone and knowing them on a personal level are two totally different things.

It's unfortunate that my truth looks like rage to you. What a dangerous thing, to interpret the benign as rage.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:57 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,753,352 times
Quote:
It ebbs and flows.

As a casual observer, I have noticed this trend for decades. My high school sociology teacher lectured on it. More than a few black colleagues have proclaimed it to me. I remember Ice-T on the old Arsenio Hall show yell about Mexicans and Blacks uniting and finishing it with "We both built the pyramids!" I have also seen a few documentaries where some black academic is in front of the Pyramids detailing aspects that were clearly the work of black artisans or whatever. Or take a walk through black shopping center and you will inevitably see lots of Egyptian stuff. So it goes.

Strikes me as a self-esteem issue. Egypt is glamorous where West Africa is not.
Welp, I'm here to tell you as an African American myself MAJORITY of us aren't really fascinated by Egypt and it's rich "history". Remember you're just a casual observer.

Also Egypt * was glamorous I can't really say the same for it anymore.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Welp, I'm here to tell you as an African American myself MAJORITY of us aren't really fascinated by Egypt and it's rich "history". Remember you're just a casual observer.

Also Egypt * was glamorous I can't really say the same for it anymore.
Never said it was a majority.

And don't tell me. Tell the segment that buys into it.

As for "casual observer", LOL, if you only knew.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Never said it was a majority.

And don't tell me. Tell the segment that buys into it.

As for "casual observer", LOL, if you only knew.

I don't have to tell THEM anything that's their views since you grew up around AA's I'm sure you realize that we are not one collective mind. I'm just saying the majority of AA don't care about Egypt at all don't even claim it and it's not even a TREND or a blip on most of our radars.

lol, to be honest, I don't think most people can even point Egypt out on a map *which is sad*...

You used the words "casual observer" not me.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:41 PM

Exactly. If a person was making a claim like...AAs are heavy church-goers, I wouldn't argue with that be because it's pretty accurate. But it's like he knows a few blacks obsessed with Egypt and determined that all blacks must be obsessed with it.

I'm not trying to criticize. People make blanket assumptions about AAs all the time based on the few they've encountered. But as a whole group, we don't think about Egypt. We don't really even think about Africa like that, to be honest. Blacks are more likely to travel to Europe than Africa. There are certain segments of our population that are interested in these things, but they are the exception.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I don't have to tell THEM anything that's their views since you grew up around AA's I'm sure you realize that we are not one collective mind. I'm just saying the majority of AA don't care about Egypt at all don't even claim it and it's not even a TREND or a blip on most of our radars.

lol, to be honest, I don't think most people can even point Egypt out on a map *which is sad*...

You used the words "casual observer" not me.
One ..... More .... Time

I never said it was a majority.

It's enough to notice though. Kind of like the Nation of Islam- a small, but very noticeable group that believes some really strange stuff.

And sure, you can find equivalent nonsense in other groups. But this thread ain't about them.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
One ..... More .... Time

I never said it was a majority.

It's enough to notice though. Kind of like the Nation of Islam- a small, but very noticeable group that believes some really strange stuff.

And sure, you can find equivalent nonsense in other groups. But this thread ain't about them.
ONE MORE TIME I never claimed you said it was a MAJORITY did I quote you saying that? NOPE. I gave my opinion and you chose to respond to it in that matter. . we both agree that it's not the majority and it's not even a trend...so what else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or