U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 AM

21,398 posts, read 19,311,556 times

Advertisements

Of course the prehistory of Africa is a mess, but there might be other reasons. The Phoenicians for instance sailed down the coast of West Africa, maybe some of them settled there and mingled with locals. Back then Africa like the rest of the world was very sparsely populated. Just a few individuals could have had a lasting impact on the genes of an entire population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 01:35 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,236,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Of course the prehistory of Africa is a mess, but there might be other reasons. The Phoenicians for instance sailed down the coast of West Africa, maybe some of them settled there and mingled with locals. Back then Africa like the rest of the world was very sparsely populated. Just a few individuals could have had a lasting impact on the genes of an entire population.
Possibly but doesn't look likely with this particular lineage. The Phoenicians and Carthaginians were seafarers and sailed far and wide and had quite a few colonies. On a personal not my maternal paternal line which is Portuguese quite plausibly links to a Carthaginian auxillary, I think most likely Numidan Calvary. The location of the matches and estimated time frame of the mutations points to it.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:58 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,931,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Outside of New York street corners and the weird corners of the internet are there really that many African Americans who go on and on about Egypt? With the availability of affordable genetic testing it should be fairly easy for anyone to trace themselves back to specific areas on their continent of origin. I think there's even an AA version of ancestry.com that helps you do this.

In fact most AAs connect with West Africa and pilgrimages to Ghana and Senegal are quite well known. They also connect to South Africa given the common history of extreme bigotry and the civil rights struggles.

There are some who "want to set the record straight" by indicating that Egypt was Egypt and not on off shoot of Greece as the Eurocentric racists would have us believe, some even connecting Egypt to Germany!

I will suggest that those AAs who "claim" Egypt and paint it as a black civilization are no worse than those whites who paint Egypt as an off shoot of Greece negating its ties with Nubia. While one can debate the
racial identity of ancient Egypt, it is without a doubt that ancient Nubians were black. Egypt connected to Nubia, to Greece, and to the ancient empires of southwest Asia.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
African-Americans have nothing to do with East Africans including Nubians, anyway. .

Nor do Germans with ancient Egypt, yet some claim it as a part of the European civilization. And then connect to it via Greece.

Let us be even handed in the criticisms.

I have more sympathy with an AA, coming from a group which has been demonized as having no history or culture (this is the usual view of sub Saharan Africa) than I do with a German latching on to ancient Egypt. They are no more connected to the Pharaohs than are todays AAs.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Certainly not the Afro-centrists, who are basically racists...

And of course nothing from you about the Europeans who concluded that "black" Africa was a savage cultural wasteland. I will suggest to you that this view in 2017 is way more prevalent and impacts more people's perspectives than do those of a few score black professors.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Possibly but doesn't look likely with this particular lineage. The Phoenicians and Carthaginians were seafarers and sailed far and wide and had quite a few colonies. On a personal not my maternal paternal line which is Portuguese quite plausibly links to a Carthaginian auxillary, I think most likely Numidan Calvary. The location of the matches and estimated time frame of the mutations points to it.

Especially some Portuguese fishing communities are said to go back to the Phoenicians. Even Portuguese boats and ships.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And of course nothing from you about the Europeans who concluded that "black" Africa was a savage cultural wasteland. I will suggest to you that this view in 2017 is way more prevalent and impacts more people's perspectives than do those of a few score black professors.
Professors, well, that doesn't mean much obviously. No idea how they ever got their degrees, frankly...

I never said anything about savages. Most humans back then were neither savages, nor as civilized as the few exceptional civilizations, but simply normal mediocre humans.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Nor do Germans with ancient Egypt, yet some claim it as a part of the European civilization. And then connect to it via Greece.

Let us be even handed in the criticisms.

I have more sympathy with an AA, coming from a group which has been demonized as having no history or culture (this is the usual view of sub Saharan Africa) than I do with a German latching on to ancient Egypt. They are no more connected to the Pharaohs than are todays AAs.
I don't know of any Germans claiming a genetic connection to ancient Egyptians. Cultural influence yes, indirectly as the Egyptians had a huge impact on the Phoenicians, the Phoenicians on the Greek, the Greek on the Romans, and both the Greek and Romans on the rest of Europe.

That is very different from afro-centric people who claim a genetic connection to ancient Egypt and thus that ancient Egyptians were blacks, that ancient Egypt was the achievement of their ancestors so to speak.
No German will ever claim something as silly about Germans, despite the Egyptians having been Caucasians.

Nobody says there is anything wrong about adopting old Egyptian religion and culture in general. But one should be aware that it is just an import from another civilization, just like so many people in Europe and the US are Christians without having anything to do with Jews 2000 years ago. It was simply imported and basically forced upon common people by the elites back then.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:33 AM

329 posts, read 244,382 times
Quote:
I don't know of any Germans claiming a genetic connection to ancient Egyptians. Cultural influence yes, indirectly as the Egyptians had a huge impact on the Phoenicians, the Phoenicians on the Greek, the Greek on the Romans, and both the Greek and Romans on the rest of Europe.

That is very different from afro-centric people who claim a genetic connection to ancient Egypt and thus that ancient Egyptians were blacks, that ancient Egypt was the achievement of their ancestors so to speak.
No German will ever claim something as silly about Germans, despite the Egyptians having been Caucasians.

Nobody says there is anything wrong about adopting old Egyptian religion and culture in general. But one should be aware that it is just an import from another civilization, just like so many people in Europe and the US are Christians without having anything to do with Jews 2000 years ago. It was simply imported and basically forced upon common people by the elites back then.
Since when was it decided that the Ancient Egyptians were caucasian? lol At best they were a mixture of many different ethnic groups.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:59 AM

Well, when they were very similar to SW Asians according to gene analysis, they were Caucasian. After all, Syrians, Palestinians, Jews, Persians, etc. are also Caucasian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or