Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 02:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I never said anything about savages. .
This in fact is the dominant view of Africa and of blacks, hence the Afrocentric obsession with Egypt. I suggest that this be also condemned, but yet you ignore this viewpoint. I will suggest to you that if there was fairer treatment of Africa as a whole and of blacks particularly then you would find mush less of this Egypt obsession.

How many people know that Timbuktu was major center of knowledge? No its characterized as the end of the earth? Maybe those who condemn these Afrocentrists need to inform their flock of the truth of Timbuktu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 02:34 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So those who deny that there was a "black" input into Egypt are just as wrong as those who place Egypt within the context of being a black society.

Strangely though its only the Afrocentrics who get condemned. Never those who pretend as if Egypt had no connection to African societies to the south.
I don't see that. To the contrary, Afro-centrists and their fabrications are cut way too much slack, probably because of recent history (slavery, apartheid etc.).
If people made such outrageous claims in any other scientific discipline, they would be ripped apart.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:36 PM

592 posts, read 589,967 times
Quote:
Sorry, I think your old sources are obsolete in view of analysis from 2017.

Well, I am a bit tired of this topic, people like you simply believe what they want to believe because they have an agenda, rewriting history. Not only DNA, but also common sense tells me that ancient Egypt was a typical North African, Caucasian culture. Nowhere along the North African Mediterranean coast were there black people back then. Egypt was just another Eastern Mediterranean civilization. And there will be many more DNA and other advanced analysis confirming that. There is nothing racist about it, the only racist thing is hijacking another culture and changing their skin color in hindsight.

Go and look for some other, truly black African culture to boost your racial ego.
Not sure who you're referring to here but I'm only interested in truth. Not some racial agenda from either side. Sounds like you may have an agenda as you throw labels around when someone disagrees with your opinion. You constantly and consistently make claims as if they were fact and when someone has a rebuttal you change the goal post to an entirely different topic.

We all have opinions on this subject as we can only go by information that's currently available. Also, there's no need for myself or any other so called African American to "claim" any culture as we have a very rich culture of our own.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
This in fact is the dominant view of Africa and of blacks, hence the Afrocentric obsession with Egypt. I suggest that this be also condemned, but yet you ignore this viewpoint. I will suggest to you that if there was fairer treatment of Africa as a whole and of blacks particularly then you would find mush less of this Egypt obsession.

How many people know that Timbuktu was major center of knowledge? No its characterized as the end of the earth? Maybe those who condemn these Afrocentrists need to inform their flock of the truth of Timbuktu.
Indeed, West Africa is where black Americans, Brits etc. should look, even though Timbuktu's rise was mostly linked to Islam, which is not exactly a black/African religion, to put it mildly.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
That is true of course. Although I am not guilty, I am sorry about all those awful things that have happened, slavery, genocide, colonial times, Apartheid etc. And they are still continuing on a more subtle level (EU trade and agriculture policies, Chinese land grab etc.).

But I think the best way for black people to overcome lingering stereotypes is looking into the future and excelling in science, technology etc. because those are the disciplines that are typically associated with East Asians and whites.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:15 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,117,691 times
Quote:
So those who deny that there was a "black" input into Egypt are just as wrong as those who place Egypt within the context of being a black society.
Yes. The issue is not that there was "black" input, the issue is that every scientific study shows a similar diversity in ancient Egytpians as modern. They were never a different, "blacker" people.

Quote:
Strangely though its only the Afrocentrics who get condemned. Never those who pretend as if Egypt had no connection to African societies to the south.
This is where you are way off the rails. The reason Afrocentrism is a target is becasue it is now all over the place, even ridiculously being taught in universities. The dynastic race idea of founding white people is long gone. No one is making money off of books claiming the the Egytpians were Germans. There is no Nazi "White Athena" out there being taught in white studies classes. No one is teaching it in school.

If you want to continue with the "they were doing that too in the 19th century" argument, go ahead. But just understand that a lot of us who are disgusted with WHAT IS GOING ON TODAY are going to continue to show the evidence.

Egypt was a cooridor of migration since the paleolithic. They were not excludively black, or white, but mostly shades in between. And it is known. The differance is that the really vile pseudo-history is coming from Afrocentrism these days.

Last edited by cachibatches; 07-01-2017 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 03:40 PM

178 posts, read 145,941 times
Quote:
Sorry, I think your old sources are obsolete in view of analysis from 2017.

Well, I am a bit tired of this topic, people like you simply believe what they want to believe because they have an agenda, rewriting history. Not only DNA, but also common sense tells me that ancient Egypt was a typical North African, Caucasian culture. Nowhere along the North African Mediterranean coast were there black people back then. Egypt was just another Eastern Mediterranean civilization. And there will be many more DNA and other advanced analysis confirming that. There is nothing racist about it, the only racist thing is hijacking another culture and changing their skin color in hindsight.

Go and look for some other, truly black African culture to boost your racial ego.
LOL Wow?Are you sure this is the first time someone has been "rewriting history"?

Perhaps the Howard Carters,Cecil Rhodes and other racist early "explorers/historians" were not so adamant without much scientific evidence,the tone for excluding Africans out of all important historical matters would not be so contentious today.
You call be people that have doubts "afro centrist" but for me its more like give me overwhelming proof,THEN we will talk.Especially when its been a 'history of lies" from Eurocentrist aka Neo Nazi's
Amazing how arrogant some people are

Old 07-01-2017, 03:41 PM

178 posts, read 145,941 times
Quote:

So true!!

Old 07-02-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I don't see that. To the contrary, Afro-centrists and their fabrications are cut way too much slack, probably because of recent history (slavery, apartheid etc.).
If people made such outrageous claims in any other scientific discipline, they would be ripped apart.

It reveals much of your own racial attitudes that you think that Afrocentrists are more influential than those who even today claim that sub Saharan Africa has played no real in humanity, other than being the origin of mankind.

Seriously, how many people know or care about what a few black professors think. Even in the USA I can bet you that most blacks aren't thinking of Egypt and certainly do NOT identify with them.

On the other hand the portrayal of pre colonial Africa as a savage place is so pervasive that even many contemporary Africans have this view. And of course this being very damaging to their self image of themselves as Africans. This is written into the narrative as they say its the conqueror who gets to tell the tale.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
LOL Wow?Are you sure this is the first time someone has been "rewriting history"?

Perhaps the Howard Carters,Cecil Rhodes and other racist early "explorers/historians" were not so adamant without much scientific evidence,the tone for excluding Africans out of all important historical matters would not be so contentious today.
You call be people that have doubts "afro centrist" but for me its more like give me overwhelming proof,THEN we will talk.Especially when its been a 'history of lies" from Eurocentrist aka Neo Nazi's
Amazing how arrogant some people are
He would rather have us believe that all black Africans did before the arrival of the European was eat each other and have "savage tribal" dances. Because he certainly thinks that the views of a few black professors outweighs those of 19th century colonialists who wanted to portray Africans as savages to justify oppressing them.

Neuling needs to tell us why the civilizations of southwest Nigeria aren't more in the global conversation. How many European kids are aware of the advanced state of metallurgy in that region, and the fact that the skills of metal workers was so respected in the slave trade that planters in the Americas paid top dollar for them. And this even includes North Americans, despite the easy availability of tradesmen from Europe.

As I said when Neuling condemns the ignorance peddled about sub Saharan Africa then he can condemn the Egyptian obsession. This because some black professors want to lay some claim on a civilization that is respected by Europe. Even credited with benefitting the Greek civilization, which they see as the foundation of European civilization.

I will suggest that those who wish to minimize the ties that ancient Egypt had with regions of Africa to its south are as mistaken as those who wish to paint Egypt as a black African civilization.

Let us get real. The Eurocentrists refuse to allow for any influence of the regions south of Egypt as it removes their tendency to want to paint Egypt as a Mediterranean civilization. The black Pharaohs did exist and this is a historic fact, even as some wish to suggest that all Nubia was a bunch of "cattle herders" and nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa