Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2019, 07:23 PM

1,293 posts, read 944,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Africa would look like the Holy Roman Empire.

You mean to suggest then that it would be far poorer, more corrupt and with an even worse literacy rate than it does currently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 07:50 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,086,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
You mean to suggest then that it would be far poorer, more corrupt and with an even worse literacy rate than it does currently?

Sure, but it'd probably be a lot more peaceful than it is now.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Sure, but it'd probably be a lot more peaceful than it is now.
Holy Roman Empire period was far less peaceful than modern Africa. And the only places on earth not currently more advanced than the HRE during most of its existence are isolated tribes and maybe war torn Somalia.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Holy Roman Empire period was far less peaceful than modern Africa. And the only places on earth not currently more advanced than the HRE during most of its existence are isolated tribes and maybe war torn Somalia.

Geographically Africa would be thousands of individual fiefdoms if not for colonization. In my opinion, it would translate into a peaceful Africa. I'm not trying to compare what happened in Europe and applying it to Africa, except geographically speaking.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Geographically Africa would be thousands of individual fiefdoms if not for colonization. In my opinion, it would translate into a peaceful Africa. I'm not trying to compare what happened in Europe and applying it to Africa, except geographically speaking.

But it wasn't peaceful before colonization.

Also, going back to what I said earlier in this thread, lack of colonization wouldn't mean isolation. The technology influence, particularly military and firearms would have increased the rate of imperial consolidation. The modern nation state concept would have been introduced and adopted. Contemporary political and economic philosophical concepts would have influenced the development as well.

This would have resulted in an Africa that is roughly similar to what it is today in wealth (barring any Lee Kuan Yew type leaders) but with different borders and nations.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:36 AM

10,495 posts, read 6,945,512 times
Quote:

I don't think there's any basis for that. African tribes were warring with one another before the first Europeans ever set foot on the continent. I mean, all you have to do is look at the Zulus in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. While the Europeans were in South Africa by that time, it's likely that the English or Dutch was not the reason for his kingdom's explosive growth.

It's the kind of prelapsarian belief people also have towards the natives of North America, propelled by a lack of written records. People want to believe that the aboriginal populations lived in peace when abundant evidence shows that they were slaughtering one another with abandon.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 03-28-2019 at 11:48 AM..

Old 04-04-2019, 03:33 AM

19 posts, read 12,478 times
It would have probably been a bunch of ritualistic tribes the geography of Africa makes many things fifficult like building modern civilizations.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:37 PM

4,761 posts, read 5,394,376 times
It would have been the epic-center of good government who knows how to manage all its hidden wealth responsibility.. It wouldn't have, sold its own people into slavery for money. It would be a global powerhouse of trade able to reach the Eastern United States, Australia, Asia, and The Middle East with great efficient. It would be no strife and divisions.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
It would have been the epic-center of good government who knows how to manage all its hidden wealth responsibility.. It wouldn't have, sold its own people into slavery for money. It would be a global powerhouse of trade able to reach the Eastern United States, Australia, Asia, and The Middle East with great efficient. It would be no strife and divisions.

Africa has thousands of different ethnic groups. If it were never colonized, it would be a continent of a thousand or more different nations.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:58 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...m-ion-battery/

If there's one thing I'm in agreement with the leftists on, is that colonization of Africa is one of the great tragedies of human kind. If Africa were made of thousand or more sovereign states, then their people wouldn't be mistreated on such a large scale as they are currently. This goes on in every natural resource mining industry in Africa.

America's enslavement of africans shouldn't be priority in the minds of those that've been marginalized from it, the bigger blame should rest on Europe's shoulders for what they've done to Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa