U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:11 PM

6,559 posts, read 9,070,030 times

Advertisements

Checkout his CNN show this Sunday. He'll be visiting Lagos Nigeria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 AM

11,684 posts, read 6,281,571 times
I'll actually tune in or watch sometime after. Should be a good episode.Love Nigerian/Ghanaian/West African food!

Old 10-15-2017, 10:22 PM

I thought this episode had some good sit down conversations.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 PM

3,501 posts, read 1,699,618 times
It was okay but he visited the obvious places, He rarely goes to wealthy areas in any of his food travels but this was more of the same of most of the Documentaries. Let's spend all the time on the mainland and barely show the island or CBD were most middle class people commute and nearly half of them live. I wish he had a section that would appeal more to the average tourist, as not anyone can got to those areas of Lagos. I'm not saying he didn't show the true Lagos but it seems whenever people make documentaries they go to a place like Makoko which 9 times out of 10 that doesn't even represent the poverty level of the average Lagosian and avoid the wealthy and upper middle class areas of the mainland were 400,000-600,000 people live compared to Maroko which is estimated closer to the 100,000-200,000 range. He didn't even visit the upper middle class areas of the mainland although that is were he might get the best restaurant food.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:53 AM

2,535 posts, read 2,026,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
It was okay but he visited the obvious places, He rarely goes to wealthy areas in any of his food travels but this was more of the same of most of the Documentaries. Let's spend all the time on the mainland and barely show the island or CBD were most middle class people commute and nearly half of them live. I wish he had a section that would appeal more to the average tourist, as not anyone can got to those areas of Lagos. I'm not saying he didn't show the true Lagos but it seems whenever people make documentaries they go to a place like Makoko which 9 times out of 10 that doesn't even represent the poverty level of the average Lagosian and avoid the wealthy and upper middle class areas of the mainland were 400,000-600,000 people live compared to Maroko which is estimated closer to the 100,000-200,000 range. He didn't even visit the upper middle class areas of the mainland although that is were he might get the best restaurant food.
Interesting too because Anthony generally seems to prefer showing off the "high class" dining establishments while someone like Andrew Zimmern focuses more on the down-home, mom & pop-style restaurants.

Why does Western media hesitate to show African affluence? It's like there's a narrative they want push with no desire to show the other side. Watching a show about Lagos, I'd want to see the poor, middle class, upper-middle class and the wealthy to get a true taste of what the entire area has to offer.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:31 AM

3,848 posts, read 3,969,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Interesting too because Anthony generally seems to prefer showing off the "high class" dining establishments while someone like Andrew Zimmern focuses more on the down-home, mom & pop-style restaurants.

Why does Western media hesitate to show African affluence? It's like there's a narrative they want push with no desire to show the other side. Watching a show about Lagos, I'd want to see the poor, middle class, upper-middle class and the wealthy to get a true taste of what the entire area has to offer.
I thought we saw the poor, middle and upper classes fine (in a 60 minute show). If there was a narrative the show pushed it was that Lagos is poised to grow and develop, especially via IT and it had plenty of talent within to do so.

This was surely one of Bourdain's most important shows ever (he had at least 2 other travel series before Parts Unknown). I like the way Anthony now likes travelling to developing, hard-scrabble countries way more than boring, scrubbed, heavily travelled destinations like (much of) France. He said Vietnam was probably his favorite destination recently. I'm the same way. Countries are more exciting and full of life before they become fully developed and dull.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I thought we saw the poor, middle and upper classes fine (in a 60 minute show). If there was a narrative the show pushed it was that Lagos is poised to grow and develop, especially via IT and it had plenty of talent within to do so.

This was surely one of Bourdain's most important shows ever (he had at least 2 other travel series before Parts Unknown). I like the way Anthony now likes travelling to developing, hard-scrabble countries way more than boring, scrubbed, heavily travelled destinations like (much of) France. He said Vietnam was probably his favorite destination recently. I'm the same way. Countries are more exciting and full of life before they become fully developed and dull.
I mean he showed aspects of it but when he went to specific neighborhoods-
https://www.google.com/maps/@6.62306...7i13312!8i6656
Which is a Muslim ethnoburb that is lower middle class (like most of Lagos, lower middle class or poor)

https://www.google.com/maps/@6.59515...7i13312!8i6656
Computer Village which is Ikeja which is a wealthier area but the market itself avoids all of that wealth to the south of it. This area is still technically a suburb like Agege on the Mainland
https://www.google.com/maps/@6.57901...7i13312!8i6656

Honestly, Nigeria is one of the few places were poor areas look vibrant and wealthy areas look the exact opposite (mean't to be quiet).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...83!4d3.3880296
He goes to Makoko which is not only a cool community but is the most overexplored community in Nigeria at this point.

Ten (10) Of The Richest And Wealthiest Neighborhoods In Nigeria - Properties - Nigeria

He never visits Banana Island with houses costing anywhere from 2 million dollars and up. Making easily the most expensive area of Africa although it is neither lively or dense which takes away from it.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...016!4d3.458671

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobo.../#78b5fdaa58a9

He never even visits the middle class giant of Lekki which is like 5 times the size of Ikeja which is the most sought after middle class to upper middle class area of the Mainland.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Le...55!4d3.6015415

I don't know how he could completely avoid the Island- (Lekki, Ikoyi (Which includes Banana Island), Lagos Island which is the oldest part of the city and Victoria Island which is the CBD or even Eko Atlantic City which hasn't been completed yet but will easily be the first of its kind of megaproject in Africa.

https://www.google.com/maps/@6.43549...6!9m2!1b1!2i39

Lagos Island- https://www.google.com/maps/@6.45605...6!9m2!1b1!2i39

One of the most imposing views from the highway you'll see anywhere.

Although I don't know how long Anthony Bourdain is going to be doing with his show he should definitely go there again when EAC is completed and the project to beautify Lagos really gets underway.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:14 PM

What do you think of Anthony's question to the lady that Nigeria has oil so why doesn't it look like Dubai?

Old 10-18-2017, 09:27 AM

34 posts, read 24,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
My buddy I grew up with is the main camera man for the show. They do visit many, many areas and the staff tries to experience the culture and the conditions of wherever they visit. What they show on TV is just what the Networks want them to show because the big wigs in the suits and ties decide what we all need to see and know
I can say that my buddy posted on his Facebook that this was one of the best shows he had filmed in his 3 years on the program. That says a lot to me.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What do you think of Anthony's question to the lady that Nigeria has oil so why doesn't it look like Dubai?
It was an okay question, but it seemed like a purposefully leading question that he partly knew the answer too. For example corruption, and even without corruption population differences and finally the location of the oil. It would have been a better question if he was visiting Port Harcourt to ask that, but he simply might not know that the city of Lagos is nowhere near oil. PHC though still doesn’t look that much like Dubai because of corruption even though the city has many nice neighborhoods and a high GDP per Capita, it just looks like a city compos d of a higher percentage of wealthy/ middle class areas than the average Nigerian city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa