Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 02:19 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you had interviewed the first slave to get off the first slave ship in Jamestown, there was no way that that person would have said to you, "I am from Africa." He would have identified instead a nation, an ethnic group, a familial group, or a political group. He would have had something far more specific to say about his identity. It is only over a period of time that these people from a variety of backgrounds face a common oppression, find themselves in a common situation, and start to identify themselves first as Africans, but then as African Americans.

RACE - The Power of an Illusion . Background Readings | PBS
Taking into account the above quote. At what point in history would you say that Africans became Africans or started to adopt the African identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 07:10 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Subscribed.....Good question

Old 10-21-2017, 07:48 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,035 times
I always wondered if there was a specific point where New World Blacks lost their ethnic consciousness...I would guess at
different times, with different individuals. I would definitely assume by the 3rd generation in the United States...Where there
was the least amount of African reinforcement.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:53 AM

665 posts, read 613,260 times
???

Please expound.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:02 AM

I would also say it started to dawn on them when they first saw white people and Indians..They were told they were from a
place called "Africa". I also would think in the Middle Passage when they were thrown together with various ethnic groups,
that they knew and didn't know.

Say the Fon capture some Yorubas, sell them to the Portuguese. On the ship, the Yorubas might recognize some other local
ethnic groups and people from "Angola" whom they never heard of or saw before. As far as the Portuguese/Europeans they
probably thought "Those Ibos and Hausas are foreign but NONE of these foreigners look like THAT! (meaning Europeans).

What kind of beings are these? They probably thought. This would be like human nations on the Earth who were enemies
fighting each other and selling war captives to the Klingons/Vulcans mass abductions...The Russians, Chinese and the Americans would realize at some point we are all humans.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:13 AM

420 posts, read 469,603 times
Did Ancient Egyptians identify themselves as Egyptians?

Old 10-22-2017, 11:31 AM

I think "Egypt" was a greek word? to designate the area. I think the indigenous word to describe the area was Khemet, if
I am not mistaken.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Looked it up, the people in the area called their land Kemet, later they called it Hwt-ka-Ptah.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:16 PM

25,568 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Taking into account the above quote. At what point in history would you say that Africans became Africans or started to adopt the African identity?
I read "When I Was A Slave", which is the account, taken word-for-word, of large number of ex slaves. The record was ordered by FDR who dispatched hundreds of out-of-work journalists to contact the individuals and write their history. It is available in paperback; The Library of Congress holds the originals.

In all those stories - I read dozens - no Black person ever referred to himself or herself as anything other than "us n******", or "we n******".
Growing up in the deep South in the 50's I can tell you that polite society referred to Black people as Negros.
Jessee Jackson is usually credited with coining the term African-America. That was in 1988, so I am guessing the answer to your question is "Sometime after 1988".

Today we have Black friends and I never hear them refer to themselves as anything other than Black and refer to me as White. In other words, today I see no identification at all with Africa.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:02 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Jessee Jackson is usually credited with coining the term African-America. That was in 1988, so I am guessing the answer to your question is "Sometime after 1988".
Alright. I was also referring to Africans on the continent as far as when this African identity became something that they adopted. Like was mentioned in the quote "Africans" of the 1600's would likely have identified themselves by their tribe/ethnic group if asked what they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa