U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:07 PM

3,087 posts, read 5,844,015 times

Advertisements

I tend to come across women from different parts of Africa that I have no clue about. I want to know about the rich culture and history of the countries in Africa. For instance, I'm embarrassed to say I never heard of Guinea, Cote D'Ivoire, or Burkina Faso.

Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 09:12 PM

6,565 posts, read 9,075,911 times
To learn about Africa's current day situation read some books by George Ayittey.

• Indigenous African Institutions, Transnational Publishers, 1991; 2nd ed., 2004
  • The Blueprint for Ghana's Economic Recovery, Africana Publishers, 1997
  • Africa Betrayed, St. Martinís Press, 1992
  • Africa in Chaos, St. Martinís Press, 1998.[7]
  • Africa Unchained: the blueprint for development, Palgrave/MacMillan, 2004
  • Defeating Dictators: Fighting Tyrants in Africa and Around the World published September 2011.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:31 PM

3,087 posts, read 5,844,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To learn about Africa's current day situation read some books by George Ayittey.

• Indigenous African Institutions, Transnational Publishers, 1991; 2nd ed., 2004
  • The Blueprint for Ghana's Economic Recovery, Africana Publishers, 1997
  • Africa Betrayed, St. Martinís Press, 1992
  • Africa in Chaos, St. Martinís Press, 1998.[7]
  • Africa Unchained: the blueprint for development, Palgrave/MacMillan, 2004
  • Defeating Dictators: Fighting Tyrants in Africa and Around the World published September 2011.

Ok thanks. So reading materials from someone African is a must? And also will these books help me understand the countries and rich culture? I want to be able to converse about African countries with people. I want to know what language they speak and what foods they like. I'm looking through some of these books and imperialism is a constant topic.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:49 AM

401 posts, read 184,648 times
“Things Fall Apart” by Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe. Marvellous book about African history and culture.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:18 PM

6,565 posts, read 9,075,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

Ok thanks. So reading materials from someone African is a must? And also will these books help me understand the countries and rich culture? I want to be able to converse about African countries with people. I want to know what language they speak and what foods they like. I'm looking through some of these books and imperialism is a constant topic.
I generally recommend reading books about African culture written by actual Africans if possible.

As far as George Ayittey's books. He does cover some of what you're asking about. Ayittey writes a good deal on how dictators and corruption has stagnated development on the continent. He also adds info about Africa's various indigenous institutions and how they could have been modernized to help build African countries.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:55 PM

4,220 posts, read 3,589,368 times
What Is Wrong with Being Black?: Celebrating Our Heritage, Confronting Our Challenges by Matthew Ashimolowo

It combines both spiritual and natural history of Africa and is very powerful.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:21 PM

507 posts, read 268,319 times
Africa is an entire continent, with a wide variety of countries and cultures. The US is very homogeneous, compared to Africa. I lived in West Africa for 2 years, then worked on and off in East Africa for a bit. Very different experiences.

While it'd be hard to encapsulate that continent into one book, you can browse the Lonely Planet's forum on Africa to get a glimpse of that fascinating place:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/africa
The nice thing about that forum is the information posted there is usually very up-to-date.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:58 PM

4,097 posts, read 10,174,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Africa is an entire continent, with a wide variety of countries and cultures. The US is very homogeneous, compared to Africa. I lived in West Africa for 2 years, then worked on and off in East Africa for a bit. Very different experiences.

While it'd be hard to encapsulate that continent into one book, you can browse the Lonely Planet's forum on Africa to get a glimpse of that fascinating place:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/africa
The nice thing about that forum is the information posted there is usually very up-to-date.
I grew up in East Africa (Kenya) but spent a couple of years in Liberia. The culture is def. different. And I spent some time in South Africa, which is even more different.

Colonization changed Africa forever, reading about some of the history would be a good start.

The Man-eaters of Tsavo
Don't let's go to the dogs tonight
Long Walk to Freedom
A Long Way Gone
Out of Africa
Blood River

So many good ones out there.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 AM

15,474 posts, read 7,888,142 times
"Of Water and Spirit" is a memoir by Malidoma Patrice Some who grew up in Burkina Fasso.
"The Wretched of the Earth" and everything else by Frantz Fannon
"In the House of the Interpreter" and everything else by Ngugi wa Thiong'o - this particular book is a memoir of his life and growing up in the period of the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:59 AM

4,428 posts, read 1,679,997 times
"False Start in Africa", written in French by Rene Dumont in 1962, about the time the ex-colonies were emerging as independent states. ("L’Afrique noire est mal partie")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or