U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:07 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,414,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I was in Lagos in the times you describe (1976), and it was literally true that people working in the center stopped trying to go home at night. I have not been there since, but from what I've heard much of the problem has been brought under control. As I understood it at the time, Nigeria ordered enough cement to build a road network, but neglected to modernize the port first, and shiploads of cement were lying offshore for a year waiting in queue to get into port, and many of their crews mutinied and sailed for places like Cuba to fence their booty, I was told this by crewmen on the waiting vessels. The news media has an amazing capacity for ignoring what happens on the high seas.

Having seen Lagos in 1976 and Addis Ababa in 2016, I have some sense of comparison about the character of the urbanity in a growing and developing city.
Once again you don't make sense, making an irrelevant point towards the thread and making untrue staments.

First off how is visiting Lagos in 1976 is going give you a " sense of comparison about the character of the urbanity in a growing and developing city." in 2018 that immediately doesn't make sense.

Second off your post is base how city were develop, not "character of the urbanity in a growing and developing city" Different African cities have major developing projects on sites like Skyscapercity there's a whole sections for this, but my thought why isn't there at least a thread for it on city data since this is the Africa section. In other sections like Atlanta, LA, Houston fourms you see threads about projects, architecture, population growth, and issues so this thread for that relating towards African cities.

You said there an lack of "traffic" in African cities in your last post, which is vague because cities are difference sizes and the larger cities like Lagos and Addis Ababa you lied over overtly have traffic. In fact it's odd thing to bring up cause not only is the statement not true, The issues African cities have are stuff like ulities, sewage systems some places electricity, not a lack of population or traffic. but it also has nothing to do with urbanity, traffic is seen as problem and urbanity is base around walkablity and pedestrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 12:10 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
To be clear, he is of African heritage, if I understand correctly.
That doesn't mean that he doesn't hate blacks in general.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:31 PM

des es salaam is doing a lot in road improvements and develop a rapid Bus system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-9uMRwwS6I

http://citiscope.org/sites/default/f...?itok=PIsiAYht

Old 04-23-2018, 04:21 PM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Once again you don't make sense, making an irrelevant point towards the thread and making untrue staments.

First off how is visiting Lagos in 1976 is going give you a " sense of comparison about the character of the urbanity in a growing and developing city." in 2018 that immediately doesn't make sense.

Second off your post is base how city were develop, not "character of the urbanity in a growing and developing city" Different African cities have major developing projects on sites like Skyscapercity there's a whole sections for this, but my thought why isn't there at least a thread for it on city data since this is the Africa section. In other sections like Atlanta, LA, Houston fourms you see threads about projects, architecture, population growth, and issues so this thread for that relating towards African cities.

You said there an lack of "traffic" in African cities in your last post, which is vague because cities are difference sizes and the larger cities like Lagos and Addis Ababa you lied over overtly have traffic. In fact it's odd thing to bring up cause not only is the statement not true, The issues African cities have are stuff like ulities, sewage systems some places electricity, not a lack of population or traffic. but it also has nothing to do with urbanity, traffic is seen as problem and urbanity is base around walkablity and pedestrians.
Im sorry I went to Africa several times in the past 40 years and visited nearly all the countries and paid attention to what I saw and shared it with other. I could have just saved all the trouble and waited to read your comments in a forum later on. I wouldn't have needed to lie to you and make irrelevant comments in a thread that is supposed to be about African cities.

Thanks. Bye.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Im sorry I went to Africa several times in the past 40 years and visited nearly all the countries and paid attention to what I saw and shared it with other. I could have just saved all the trouble and waited to read your comments in a forum later on. I wouldn't have needed to lie to you and make irrelevant comments in a thread that is supposed to be about African cities.

Thanks. Bye.
Again the point of this thread isn't about whether Africa has best urbanity, The point was to disuse these cities growth and development. Africa is second most populated continent as well as many of the countries factually have a fast population growth rate, At the same time there massive movement of urbanization as people move from rural areas to cities.

These are Africa’s fastest-growing cities – and they’ll make or break the continent

These are the world’s fastest growing cities. They've got something else in common

http://www.urbanet.info/wp-content/u...1-1024x512.jpg

So African cities most plan and figure out how to handle the growth, So I wanted to know what these plans, projects and etc are.

Maybe saying your lying was too far I don't know your experience, how ever it a clear contradiction, Addis Ababa

http://onlineethiopia.net/wp-content...6/01/AA-2.jpeg
Now your comment turn into a fail clap

Old 04-24-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Maybe saying your lying was too far I don't know your experience, how ever it a clear contradiction, Addis Ababa

http://onlineethiopia.net/wp-content...6/01/AA-2.jpeg
Now your comment turn into a fail clap
Your link shows a city with only a couple buildings over 15 stories, and streets not exactly choked with traffic. For a metro approaching five million. It seemed pretty livable to me, but I guess being livable is not a characteristic you give much value to in your estimation of what the future of cities ought to be. It appears that height of skyscrapers is your only metric.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:09 AM

24,192 posts, read 17,579,330 times
Quote:

Thanks. Bye.
Things can change a lot in 5 years, much less 40 years. A visit also does not imply intimate knowledge of a place.........

Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Your link shows a city with only a couple buildings over 15 stories, and streets not exactly choked with traffic. For a metro approaching five million. It seemed pretty livable to me, but I guess being livable is not a characteristic you give much value to in your estimation of what the future of cities ought to be. It appears that height of skyscrapers is your only metric.
This what I talking about

1. I never said one word in this thread about the height of skyscrapers

2. I never said one word in this thread about African cities not being liviable. infact I have repeated and constantly asked for projects with in the city, This is a quote from that I already respond to you

"Second off your post is base how city were develop, not "character of the urbanity in a growing and developing city" Different African cities have major developing projects on sites like Skyscapercity there's a whole sections for this, but my thought why isn't there at least a thread for it on city data since this is the Africa section. In other sections like Atlanta, LA, Houston fourms you see threads about projects, architecture, population growth, and issues so this thread for that relating towards African cities.

You said there an lack of "traffic" in African cities in your last post, which is vague because cities are difference sizes and the larger cities like Lagos and Addis Ababa you lied over overtly have traffic. In fact it's odd thing to bring up cause not only is the statement not true, The issues African cities have are stuff like ulities, sewage systems some places electricity, not a lack of population or traffic. but it also has nothing to do with urbanity, traffic is seen as problem and urbanity is base around walkablity and pedestrians."
3. You posts have had nothing to do with liviablity it's the first time you mention that word or stated something around it, Your post have largely about African cities not having traffic in which you call not being urban, which is false, and traffic have nothing to do with urbanity.

4. "you give much value to in your estimation of what the future of cities ought to be. " Their so many weird thing in this sentence. First off these estimation have nothing to do with my opinion or what I value. These estimates are base the UN, World Bank, and national estimate of population growth. And what I think "future of cities ought to be" is base from the estimate not cause of them. Since African cities are growing, what African cities doing to prepare.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
African will have the fastest growing population growth rate the next 50 years, In addition to that Africa has the 2nd urbanization growth behind Asia.

This means Africa is going to have rapid growing cities, Currently Africa has 3 Megacities cities above 3 million Lagos, Cairo, and Kinshasa, but in decades to come. Dar es Salaam, Luanda, Nairobi, Johannesburg and a few others are projected to join. This is in addition to midsize cities that are expected to grow rapidly.

This brings a lot of challenges, With this being the city data forums as you know there's a lot of discussions over Transportation, urban development, Skylines, Architecture, Economic growth, Culture of cities. There seems to be a huge absent of discussion about urban Africa. So I wanted to make a thread for urban Africa. So post about developments, challenges, Culture and Architecture of urban Africa
So I posted my views about those aspects, based on four decades of travel to almost every African country, and you told me to go away, it is not relevant. I even stated the reason why one African city developed specific problems that you referenced yourself, and it was called "irrelevant".

OK. Bye

Old 04-24-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
So I posted my views about those aspects, based on four decades of travel to almost every African country, and you told me to go away, it is not relevant. I even stated the reason why one African city developed specific problems that you referenced yourself, and it was called "irrelevant".

OK. Bye
Maybe there a miscommunication here because from my perspective your first response to me was a rebuttal against me saying African cities are growing, Then You falsely made in seem like I used outdated data and then said rest was just projections. As if Africa cities aren't growing fast.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/51686002-post15.html

Then you continue rant aesthetics of you what think "feel" urban. "That Adds Ababa has no "urban feel" to it whatsoever" than continue saying it has no traffic. Which is not true unfortunately it does, and traffic has nothing to do with urbanity.

I say this because maybe your using the urban term referring to something else, in your last post you made an assertion that I believe urbanity is just tall skyscrapers. I'm rereading your post maybe your saying you like way African cities are developing more walkable and that's better than what the US has done? The miscommunication would be... I don't just consider just a bunch of skyscrapers as urban and an environment that more walkable would be more urban not less.

But the rate which African cities are growing there have to be huge improvement infrastructure, Employment and etc.

Last edited by chiatldal; 04-24-2018 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or