Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:20 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
And my answer was that, from my observation, African cities are not evolving the same way they do in other cultural and economic environments. So you are immediately veering off in the wrong direction by expecting them to and trying to compare them with non-African models, or measuring them by non-African criteria. An African "city" is a creature quite different from the global model of urbanization. Kinshasa is never going to be Sao Paulo or Jakarta or Moscow, no matter how many international experts are flown in to design their skyscrapers or freeways or Olympic venues or world fairs or airports. What you call "projects".

You can't just set Vancouver down in Burkina Faso and expect to fill up with five million Africans and become another Vancouver..
Again your arguing with your self. and creating a straw man.

1. "urbanization" isn't a criteria of growth. It's at population growing no matter how that city look like. Urban is the opposite rural. So it doesn't matter if Kinshasa looks like Sao Paulo it's growth by default would be urbanization. I mention urbanization and you went crazy talking about skyscrapers, urbanization doesn't mean skyscrapers.

As far cities looking alike cities on different continents don't like in General. Asian, European, North and South American cities don't look alike either. Mumbai looking looks nothing like London. Rio looks nothing like Chicago, I never said African cities would look like western first world cities whats like to happen is African cities would resealable some Asian and South Asian cities. Would Kinshasa look like Sao Paulo not likely but cities like Lagos and Dar es Salaam could look more like Manila and etc yes.

2. Thread is for posting any projects of anything scale, It can be small or larger develop, This thread is pretty open ended I never said African cities are growing one way, I'm not going to cap the development that can be post base on what feel only should be posted. There whole entire sub sections. of others forum decided to African developments on other forums. Again this thread was created so we discus development and etc here on city data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Most blacks wherever we are argue emotively. We are also impressed by shiny things. So if we see a celebrity or a mansion in Africa or Haiti the meme is "see not everyone in Africa is poor!'. As if having a tiny elite that lives like Saudi sheikhs is some sort of accomplishment as millions more subsist on $1.25 a day.

The few blacks that argue logically and point out these contradictions tend to be shouted down as haters, lovers of whites etc.
"Most black" the irony of this post it's base on " emotion" that is a "hasty generalization" it's base on what you feel not something can scientifically prove.

By fact this off the topic of thread also makes stems from "emotion" it's something you want to talk regardless of the topic. Do not hijack the thread with this.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:22 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
That's a sociological argument. The reality is the natives couldn't even dream of organizing an industrial economy which as we are seeing today is still the case. It is not more developed then colonial times by any objective measure. You can't just make up facts.
http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/fi...ofiles/COD.pdf

Your actually factually completely wrong. Life Expectancy hasn't only increased but actual development has increased too. So your straight up lying.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Sir, there are Nigerians running to Canada at such a level that the Canadians are begging the USA to stop issuing visas to Nigerians. I go by what people do not what they are saying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...20a_story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfNWg3GG0PI
What's your point? Your not actually arguing anything.

Also moderator can you please get this guys post to be on topic. He actually has contributed zero ideas to the thread and is blatantly lying at this point.

-Democratic Republic of Congo hasn't improve since Colonial times???
The life expectancy in 1960 was 41
The life expectancy in 2015 is 59...
No improvement huh...

Old 04-30-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I'm just correcting delusions. I've posted some positive African stories but there's little to be positive about.
What in these pictures chiatadal posted is a delusion? I have been to Accra and Lagos, and those images represent how a part of the city looks like.

Lagos currently has a 90 billion dollar economy and it's economy is rapidly growing and the cityscape is starting to reflect that. What about that is a delusion?

Old 04-30-2018, 05:48 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
The OP started out by posting seven aerial photographs if the skylines of African cities (and two charts, one of them decades out of date), but now says he said nothing about skyscrapers. Yet, used photos of skyscrapers as his only references to illustrate his topic.

Then the OP said .
Quote:
So I wanted to make a thread for urban Africa. So post about developments, challenges, Culture and Architecture of urban Africa
. So I did.

You keep using the term "projects". Urbanization is a phenomenon, not a project. Projects are what the oligarchy uses to funnel the wealth of the urbanization into their greedy hands.

Economics is such a simple science. Question: Why did "xyz" happen? Answer: Follow the money. Nothing is put into motion unless somebody seeks to gain wealth and power from it. That is all you need to know about economics.

Last edited by cebuan; 04-30-2018 at 06:03 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The OP started out by posting seven aerial photographs if the skylines of African cities (and two charts, one of them decades out of date), but now says he said nothing about skyscrapers. Yet, used photos of skyscrapers as his only references to illustrate his topic.

Then the OP said .. So I did.

You keep using the term "projects". Urbanization is a phenomenon, not a project. Projects are what the oligarchy uses to funnel the wealth of the urbanization into their greedy hands.

Economics is such a simple science. Question: Why did "xyz" happen? Answer: Follow the money. Nothing is put into motion unless somebody seeks to gain wealth and power from it. That is all you need to know about economics.
No.... OP started off with a larger quote, which you purposly delete the majority of in quoting me so it fits the straw man your trying present and not the full quote. Because it defeats your point, so you deleted part of it to frame.

Along with the pictures the full quote above was
Quote:
African will have the fastest growing population growth rate the next 50 years, In addition to that Africa has the 2nd urbanization growth behind Asia.

This means Africa is going to have rapid growing cities, Currently Africa has 3 Megacities cities above 3 million Lagos, Cairo, and Kinshasa, but in decades to come. Dar es Salaam, Luanda, Nairobi, Johannesburg and a few others are projected to join. This is in addition to midsize cities that are expected to grow rapidly.

This brings a lot of challenges, With this being the city data forums as you know there's a lot of discussions over Transportation, urban development, Skylines, Architecture, Economic growth, Culture of cities. There seems to be a huge absent of discussion about urban Africa. So I wanted to make a thread for urban Africa. So post about developments, challenges, Culture and Architecture of urban Africa
Again no........ "projects" could be develop of any size. They could be large and expansiveness, or they could be smaller and not. It could a small house or store, or it could a skyscraper or airport, I kept it open ended. I never said they had to be large develops but yes that can included. I made posted about architecture,.... another post about transit,.... another about larger district planing..... another I mentions utility, sewage planning,........ and their other type of developments I haven't got the chance to discuss. You have a obsessional hate of skyscrapers, So what happen is when I posted about architecture your try to frame my posts and this thread as only about skyscrapers. No this thread is open ended relating to different types of urban development that is just one thing of many different types of development that can be discuss, . Your trying to cap the topic because you don't want high rise discuses. Which is silly if it's being develop in an African city any poster is free to discuss.

I posted skylines pictures in the OP just to post the pictures of the cities, if you google pictures of any city in world it could be Atlanta, London, panama city panama the first thing you see are pictures of there skyline obliviously most of there cities are not high rises. The central Business district is the first thing you see in pictures regardless or not if represent the city. You pretty much want crazy just because I posted skylines pics and started making all kind of assumption and straw mans,

Nothing in OP was "out of date",And I already respond to this....... you overtly lied and said a chart was from 1975, when it was from 2009 and projections hasn't changed. I stated The chart show historical growth as well as the projected growth. By seeing it start in the 1950's and saying it's outdated shows you don't know how to read graphs. And your still trying to say it outdated. I even came back and posted other sources because Anything you could find will echo the data in op saying Africa cities are growing rapidly. Unless there was data saying African cities aren't among the fastest growing cities in the world. The whole notion "out of date" immediately make no the sense.

Another issue you made up your definition of urbanization as skyscapers. When I actually using the definition.

Urbanization britannica

Quote:
Urbanization, the process by which large numbers of people become permanently concentrated in relatively small areas, forming cities.

urbanization merriam webster

Quote:
Definition of urbanization
: the quality or state of being urbanized or the process of becoming urbanized

the process by which towns and cities are formed and become larger as more and more people begin living and working in central areas

Old 05-01-2018, 12:14 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Nobody has disputed your "larger quote" . . .
Quote:
African will have the fastest growing population growth rate the next 50 years, In addition to that Africa has the 2nd urbanization growth behind Asia.
You opened with seven photos of African cities, all taken from a distance in which they look just like Kuala Lumpur or Bogota. Because they show only features created by non-African planners and designers, financed by powers that hope to profit from the urbanizatioon of Africa. But down on the ground, those buildings are surrounded by Africans whose culture reflects no desire or inclination to form a modern "city", in the parlance of the new industrial state.

You cannot change the culture of people just by erecting a tent of skyscrapers over their heads, or moving more and more of them into the circumference of the tent, or even by exposing them to the same "projects". And that is the false track I am trying to warn you against following. Yes, the cities of Africa will become very highly populated. But that is not the same as saying they will face the same challenges of other cities's urbanization, or solve them in the same ways..

You asked me to discuss my thoughts on this, but you don't want to hear it.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:14 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/fi...ofiles/COD.pdf

Your actually factually completely wrong. Life Expectancy hasn't only increased but actual development has increased too. So your straight up lying.
From your link:
Quote:
It is misleading to compare values and rankings with those of previously published reports, because the
underlying data and methods have changed
The GDP per capita from Congo from 1960 to 2016. In 1960 it was about $1000 today it's under $400.

https://tradingeconomics.com/congo/gdp-per-capita

Old 05-01-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
From your link:

The GDP per capita from Congo from 1960 to 2016. In 1960 it was about $1000 today it's under $400.

https://tradingeconomics.com/congo/gdp-per-capita
Like I said, small group of rich elites in 1960. The country is much better of today. This can be seen by the 20 year increase in life expectancy and the increase in HDI two statistics that actually focus on the average person's living stats. GDP is skewed with natural resources, Equatorial Guinea is exhibit A for that, even Mexico/Brazil/China vs. Turkey, you'll see a wealthy and larger class of rich people will make these countries standards of living even better than they actually are, China is literally dominated economically by 20% of it's population or so being middle class to wealthy and the rest living in relatively abject poverty, compared to Turkey were the vast majority of people are just lower middle class and thus their is no Xinjiang or Tibet filled with poverty in those countries.

The fact that you struggle to admit your wrong proves you see Africans as inferior and unable to develop a better society than colonization even though nearly every country on the continent is better of as seen in life expectancy and HDI as well as GDP compared to colonization.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 05-01-2018 at 05:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa