U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 11:30 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,021,516 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on these boards been to Mozambique? What were your experiences? Is it safe? Doable?

After my fascinating trip to South Africa last year, I've been thinking about another trip to Africa. Mozambique intrigues me for its African/Portuguese heritage. I hear the country is beautiful with special reserves like Gorongosa, superb beaches, some quaint colonial towns, good food.

I know it is becoming popular with South Africans who fly there on vacation.

But I also hear there is still crime, police bribery, poor infrastructure, malaria, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 09:00 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Has anyone on these boards been to Mozambique? What were your experiences? Is it safe? Doable?

After my fascinating trip to South Africa last year, I've been thinking about another trip to Africa. Mozambique intrigues me for its African/Portuguese heritage. I hear the country is beautiful with special reserves like Gorongosa, superb beaches, some quaint colonial towns, good food.

I know it is becoming popular with South Africans who fly there on vacation.

But I also hear there is still crime, police bribery, poor infrastructure, malaria, etc.
I visited Maputo, but just for a few days.

It felt much safer than South Africa...no doubt about that. Being that South Africa has some serious safety concerns... but Mozambique felt less of that chasm of wealth, and in general, I observed a lot more Portuguese-looking people (from Portugal or Portuguese-descent Africans - I don't know) who seemed more connected with black-Africans (making the distinction because not all Africans are black). But it just had a different vibe altogether than South Africa, in regards to racial relations.

I also heard of the crime, police bribery....but I didn't experience anything on my short trip. I did read about that beforehand though. Infrastructure was fine in Maputo. Unfortunately, I never got out of the big city though...

Old 12-10-2017, 09:20 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,021,516 times
Thanks Tiger Beer for the information.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 AM

4,389 posts, read 1,666,771 times
I would absolutely go if I had a chance. I haven't been there since the early days of the Frelimo rule in the 70s, so I can't say much about what it might be like today. But I went back to Africa a couple years ago, and I surprised at how little it has changed in these 40 years.

The beaches have always been very popular with South Africans, even in Portuguese times.and apparently still are. White South Africans were, mostly, pretty willing to take a vacation from Apartheid once in a while, and had no problem mixing with blacks (very intimately) outside their own country.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 AM

43 posts, read 24,055 times
The south is popular with South Africans because its just across the border but the country is huge and there are vast distances north to south. As one goes north things get progressively worse in terms of roads and infrastructure but seems to be slowly improving all the time. The country is extremely poor and as a result begging, pick pocketing and fake friendliness with a view to a hand out are all too common. In stark contrast to South Africa the level of violent crime is low.

There is rampant bureaucracy and corruption which is frustrating but a 'known entity'. Less so in Maputo and the touristy areas and they have started to realize it was affecting tourism income but still there in the more remote areas. The people are genuine and friendly overall. One has to remember they suffered 27 years or so of civil war and Im sure are pretty relieved to have peace.

If you like beaches, seafood, scuba diving, fishing and simple ways of life then its a great place.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:26 AM

317 posts, read 236,424 times
Can you get a visa in arrival at Maputo airport if a is a.citizen?

Old 03-17-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
According to Wikitravel, Mzambique is one of the most welcoming countries in Africa in that respect. The general view is that the visa can be stamped in on arrival, even at land borders. But there doesn't seem to be any reliable policy statement about this. If anybody was getting turned away, that would probably be reported on sites like Wikitravel or the tripladvisor discussion refrenced in the Wikitravel page.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:18 AM

317 posts, read 236,424 times
Nice to know as there is no.mozambique consulate here in kuwait

Old 03-18-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Nice to know as there is no.mozambique consulate here in kuwait
Airlines are the experts on those questions, they take the responsibility for anybody they fly in who does not have a visa, and make it their business to be up to date on visa requirements. . Call Qatar Airways, they fly direct DOH to MPM, they will have the best answer.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:02 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
What's an a.citizen?

You have to look up the legal situation for your country, in regards to Mozambique.

I'm from the U.S., originally, and I had to go to a Mozambique Embassy beforehand, and it took, if I recall correctly 5 days, and it costs some money (that I can't recall at the moment).

Anyway, Mozambique with have different visa rules/restrictions with each country out there, so just do a quick google search to see what the laws are for people of your nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or