Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,564 times

Advertisements

I am a American Citizen and I am trying to go to Freetown, Sierra Leone to marry the man of my dreams. He wants me to live there with him and I am all ready to do it, but I'm having some questions that I need answered.

When I go to visit it says I can only stay for 30 days. Once we are married will I be able to stay longer if so how long? I've been searching on the internet for the answer and still can't find it. I've call the immigration office and has not got an answer.

Can someone tell me the answer to this question or direct me to the answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 05:22 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umm Namir View Post
I am a American Citizen and I am trying to go to Freetown, Sierra Leone to marry the man of my dreams. He wants me to live there with him and I am all ready to do it, but I'm having some questions that I need answered.

When I go to visit it says I can only stay for 30 days. Once we are married will I be able to stay longer if so how long? I've been searching on the internet for the answer and still can't find it. I've call the immigration office and has not got an answer.

I don't know the answer to your question.

Have you met this man of your dreams in person?

Old 05-18-2016, 12:52 PM

29 posts, read 86,342 times
That's a hell of a commitment moving somewhere to live that you've never visited. I'm assuming you've never visited because you would've found your answers if you did. I would rethink this move.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:12 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:

Hold it.

How did you "meet" this "man"? If it's online, I hate to say it, but you might've gotten looped into a scam.

Lonely hearts targeted and tricked out of fortunes in cruel 'sweetheart scam' | This is Money

Old 05-19-2016, 08:02 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,398,424 times
My dear, my heart goes out to you but if you met "The Man of Your Dreams" online then there is more than a 99% chance that this is a classic Romance Scam. Romance Scams are one of the major money-earning businesses in West Africa, particularly in English-speaking countries such as Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia and Sierra Leone and their most frequently targeted victims are Americans, Brits, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders.

Sometimes, the intent is to fraudulently obtain as much money as possible as quickly as possible and you will never hear from him again once it is clear you will not send more. Other times, the intent is to get a victim to actually marry them so that the scammer can obtain a citizenship in the desired country before extorting as much money as possible Does My Fiance Just Want a Greencard? | I Married An Alien

In answer to your original question, yes, the limit is 30 days. There is also a visa type called Multiple Entry, that will allow you to stay several times, 30 days at a time, and you must leave the country each time. I have personally been to Sierra Leone several times on these visas. You can contact the Embassy of Sierra Leone in Washington DC for more specific questions via their webpage General Visa Information | Republic of Sierra Leone Embassy in the United States of America

Sierra Leone is a very poor country and many people are looking for an easy ticket out. Please be very very careful.

Last edited by ersatz; 05-19-2016 at 08:14 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 12:27 PM

277 posts, read 364,813 times
HUGE mistake.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,868 times
Wait. how is he the man of your dreams if you have never seen him in the flesh?

Old 08-10-2016, 02:58 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,167 times
Quote:

It is not wise to move to another country and marry someone you met online. Also, if he wants you to go to his country, even to visit, it is his responsibility to make sure everything is taken care of regarding the requirements. He needs to give you the answers. That is what someone does when they care about your well-being.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 PM

269 posts, read 574,762 times
Also, how do you know for certain that he isn't marrying you for a chance to obtain American citizenship? I agree with the rest here, you need to really think what you are doing before you make this move...

Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 9,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
My dear, my heart goes out to you but if you met "The Man of Your Dreams" online then there is more than a 99% chance that this is a classic Romance Scam. Romance Scams are one of the major money-earning businesses in West Africa, particularly in English-speaking countries such as Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia and Sierra Leone and their most frequently targeted victims are Americans, Brits, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders.

Sometimes, the intent is to fraudulently obtain as much money as possible as quickly as possible and you will never hear from him again once it is clear you will not send more. Other times, the intent is to get a victim to actually marry them so that the scammer can obtain a citizenship in the desired country before extorting as much money as possible Does My Fiance Just Want a Greencard? | I Married An Alien

In answer to your original question, yes, the limit is 30 days. There is also a visa type called Multiple Entry, that will allow you to stay several times, 30 days at a time, and you must leave the country each time. I have personally been to Sierra Leone several times on these visas. You can contact the Embassy of Sierra Leone in Washington DC for more specific questions via their webpage General Visa Information | Republic of Sierra Leone Embassy in the United States of America

Sierra Leone is a very poor country and many people are looking for an easy ticket out. Please be very very careful.

It's not about money because he hasn't asked me for any, it's not about a green card because he doesn't want to live in America it about our religion. We are Muslims and that is what we've discussed. I am not a rich woman but he is ok in his country.

thank you all for your concern I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa