U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 04:41 PM

402 posts, read 306,784 times

Advertisements

A friend invited me to Zimbabwe. With the recent coup, i was hesitant about going. I've never been to any African country and really wanted to go.

I decided to go and had the best time. I got to see Victoria Falls and went on a safari.

I hope to go again in the future and would like to visit Harare. Other African countries i'd like to visit are: Tanzania (to see MT Kilimanjaro) , South Africa, Kenya, Senegal and Ghana.

Most of my friends were shocked that i actually went to Zimbabwe. I kept hearing comments like "I hope you make it back safe and in one piece". I'm not an idiot, i checked the US Advisory website, got my vaccines etc.

I don't know if i'm being naive, but i think they were going a bit overboard with the comments. It's not like i was planning to go to the DRC.

The only thing i noticed (from news reports) were the LONG lines at the atms. At the market places, only a few people were begging us to buy items such an animal carvings, etc. I've had a harder time at markets in Jamaica.

It was a great experience. I met so many people from other countries, South Africa, Australia, UK, all on holiday.

However, on the way there, i did have to spend one day in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa due to missing the connecting flight). Now THAT was eye opening. Driving around Addis Ababa Much respect for the shuttle driver.

Overall i had a great time and would like to explore more of Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 03:01 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,259,876 times
Victoria Falls is spectacular, but be aware that it is not anything like the rest of Zimbabwe. There is enormous pressure to preserve Vic Falls as a top tourist attraction due to the $$$$ it brings in. The resources, infrastructure, security, pretty much everything about Vic Falls is a microcosm on its own.

Do your research and ask questions.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:32 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,157,683 times
Default I'm there for a short time, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Victoria Falls is spectacular, but be aware that it is not anything like the rest of Zimbabwe. There is enormous pressure to preserve Vic Falls as a top tourist attraction due to the $$$$ it brings in. The resources, infrastructure, security, pretty much everything about Vic Falls is a microcosm on its own.

Do your research and ask questions.

I'll only stay there a few days, so I'd rather see Vic Falls than the rest of the impoverished country, it may sound heartless, but I'm only a tourist , not an aid worker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or