U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:59 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,242,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Right but not even shades but at as if culture or ethnicity mean nothing that skin color is all encompassing.
It was a play on words there seems to be a correlation with the said mindset and black-and-white thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 09:19 AM

691 posts, read 919,872 times
This is again the American cultural habit of applying their binary "Black"/ "White" thinking to the rest of the world. As one
Nigerian explained to me, in his opinion only Americans and South Africans are obsessed with Race, the rest of the world
takes into account religion,ethnicity and culture.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:18 AM

16 posts, read 15,001 times
There is definitely a reason Americans and South Africans are obsessed with race. They have been traumatized by racial issues.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:39 PM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
This is again the American cultural habit of applying their binary "Black"/ "White" thinking to the rest of the world. As one
Nigerian explained to me, in his opinion only Americans and South Africans are obsessed with Race, the rest of the world
takes into account religion,ethnicity and culture.
That is idealistic. I think people all over the world are sensitive to the 'other' which encompasses cultural and physical differences. I agree that the Americas take it up a notch because race has been legally quantified in those societies, and the history of the tragedy of the TransAtlantic slave trade and its aftermath is well known around the world, but to think that in other parts of the world people don't "see race" or that it doesn't confer judgement on cultural or individual basis is naive.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:37 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,077,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

but to think that in other parts of the world people don't "see race" or that it doesn't confer judgement on cultural or individual basis is naive.
Yeah just check out how some Europeans treat African and other Black players at soccer games.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:19 AM

691 posts, read 919,872 times
I think the bottom line has to do with historical power relationships between nationalities, Europeans really don't have a
historical "beef' with AAs and there is also foreigner privilege. In my experience and other AAs experience in Europe as was
told to me in France, Italy, Spain and U.K. it seems Black American tourists are treated differently than African immigrants or
people from the former colonies. However, personally I would not take a chance in Eastern Europe.

Also as there is really no historical "beef" between Africans and White Americans. I have seen White Americans treat them
different than they would AAs. Stepping outside the American "Black/White" dynamic race is still there in Europe but class
and nationality are factored in also.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 AM

24,234 posts, read 17,617,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I think the bottom line has to do with historical power relationships between nationalities, Europeans really don't have a
historical "beef' with AAs and there is also foreigner privilege. In my experience and other AAs experience in Europe as was
told to me in France, Italy, Spain and U.K. it seems Black American tourists are treated differently than African immigrants or
people from the former colonies. However, personally I would not take a chance in Eastern Europe.

Also as there is really no historical "beef" between Africans and White Americans. I have seen White Americans treat them
different than they would AAs. Stepping outside the American "Black/White" dynamic race is still there in Europe but class
and nationality are factored in also.
African immigrants in Europe are not a homogenuous bunch. While there are certainly some refugees, well off Africans come to Europe to study and open businesses.

I'm a Black American in Spain, and not a tourist either. I'm a long term resident.

I love it here.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:35 AM

24,234 posts, read 17,617,739 times
Much of the racial problems in the US are political. A Democrat signed the civil rights bill, and the Republicans became the party of the "resistance" (who wanted to take things back to the pre civil rights era).

You won't hear talk of white privilege or anything like that in Europe. People would condemn racists, but the dynamics are very different.

There is now a large presence of POC in Europe, but these are people who WANTED to come to Europe and who immigrated there. There wasn't a historically LARGE Black slave population in Europe.

Whether African or African American or Caribbean or Latino, the Black population of Europe chose to move here and chose to remain.

Ditto for other groups like Arabs, Pakistanis, Chinese, etc.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:27 PM

15,748 posts, read 26,786,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
How could other African feel foreign to you when they all have the same DNA?
54 sovereign States and 10 non sovereign territories all in one very large continent. Eleven major languages spoken on the continent with around 2,000 additional lesser known languages, 3,000 different ethnic groups. When I see someone from Egypt I don't see them as looking anything like someone from Kenya. What about the many people in South Africa that immigrated. Of course many have been there for so many generations that home to them is like the USA to me, I am from the USA. I would not know anything of Poland where my moms family is from or France and England where my dads family is from. We have been here for too many generations now.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 PM

15,748 posts, read 26,786,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Much of the racial problems in the US are political. A Democrat signed the civil rights bill, and the Republicans became the party of the "resistance" (who wanted to take things back to the pre civil rights era).

You won't hear talk of white privilege or anything like that in Europe. People would condemn racists, but the dynamics are very different.

There is now a large presence of POC in Europe, but these are people who WANTED to come to Europe and who immigrated there. There wasn't a historically LARGE Black slave population in Europe.

Whether African or African American or Caribbean or Latino, the Black population of Europe chose to move here and chose to remain.

Ditto for other groups like Arabs, Pakistanis, Chinese, etc.
I am sorry my friend, you are sadly mistaken.

| National Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or