U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:26 PM

6,555 posts, read 9,067,154 times

Advertisements

Have any of you who are Africans ever had chances to visit other African countries? If so what were the country and people like compared to your country? Like have any Ghanaians visited Nigeria or have any Senegalese visited Kenya etc? Do other African countries feel "foreign" to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 05:09 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,697,543 times
I am of Nigerian descent and I visited Ghana, Benin and Togo. If I had to list which country is the most beautiful/organized.

Ghana- 24/7 light/ more paved roads/ good police protection.
Nigeria- Abuja was still the best looking city I have been to out of these four and Lagos has a lot going for it it’s just the other cities drag it down.
Benin- Cotonou looks beautiful but when compared to Nigerian cities as a whole I think the average Nigerian city looks better than most of Benin excluding Cotonou.

Togo- I love how the main road is along the beach, and the city of Lome looks gorgeous but the outskirts and the rest of the country along the coast doesn’t seem to have as much going on as Benin, Nigeria or Ghana.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:36 PM

6,555 posts, read 9,067,154 times
^

So you haven't visited any east African countries yet? I saw an interview with a Reggae musician who mentioned how he felt that east Africa had a different vibe than west Africa.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:02 AM

4,216 posts, read 3,583,923 times
How could other African feel foreign to you when they all have the same DNA?

Old 01-19-2018, 11:36 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
I, an American, went to Tanzania when I was a teenager (mid '80s) and was staying at a sports club/hotel near Arusha. Though most of the guests were Westerners, there were several African families vacationining there as well. I spent some time hanging out with some Namibian and South African kids. East Africa's attractions are not lost on people from other African countries, I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
All African people don't have the same DNA. In fact, there is more genetic diversity among human populations on the African continent than anywhere else in the world. A German and a Hindu may well have far more DNA in common than two Africans who live 500 miles apart. Even if they may look similar to you.

Furthermore, foreignness is a quality based on language and culture, not appearance. An Englishman and a Frenchman may look identical but they are certainly foreign to one another. Africa, which is home to hundreds and hundreds of different languages, cultures, and ethnicities, not to mention nationalities, is rife with foreign cultures to one another.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:36 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,697,543 times
Benin and Togo has a similar vibe except for Benin’s motorcycle culture. Ghana is completely different in how the city is built from Nigerian cities.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 AM

271 posts, read 292,667 times
Quote:
Does visiting Europe feel foreign to you? Does visiting Canada feel foreign? Would people within Europe travelling between the countries there not feel foreign? A Spanish person walking around Eastern Europe for instance.

I mean all of the above feels foreign to me. Africa is diverse, it's not all the same. There are cultural similarities and there are cultural differences.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:17 AM

1,865 posts, read 3,423,078 times
Quote:
not sure if serious... but i'll reply anyway. Have you looked at how many different ethnic groups there are in Africa?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:24 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
not sure if serious... but i'll reply anyway. Have you looked at how many different ethnic groups there are in Africa?
That's a common ridiculous mindset you get from people that identify as African-American and white-Americans in some case as well. Many of them have a warped view of the word they see it in black and white without any nuances or shades of gray.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:43 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,421,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That's a common ridiculous mindset you get from people that identify as African-American and white-Americans in some case as well. Many of them have a warped view of the word they see it in black and white without any nuances or shades of gray.
Right but not even shades but at as if culture or ethnicity mean nothing that skin color is all encompassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or