U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 07:59 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

What do I think about it...

Ahmm...it has one of the worst reputations in Africa...yet, I've also met many really fantastic Nigerian people all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 04:04 PM

48 posts, read 17,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What do I think about it...

Ahmm...it has one of the worst reputations in Africa...yet, I've also met many really fantastic Nigerian people all over the world.
Not 1 african country according to the western media is worth visiting. If we believed the fear mongering no one would ever visit these places. Can't imagine all of the people who miss out on South Africa, Kenya, ghana mexico Columbia because a group of people 99% of whom have never even stepped foot in these great countries. I'm sure just like Americans killing 50 people for no reason or shooting people in school every week is ok. I hope when Eko Atlantic is finished people who talked endlessly about Nigeria stays away. Sheeple are funny

Old 03-23-2018, 05:28 PM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
^^^ Agreed. It's amazing how many people let the fear-industrial complex limit their travels. Look at a map until your eye says "that looks interesting", and book the flight and go.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:08 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
I don't plan on visiting any time soon and you need to get the jihadis under control

Old 03-23-2018, 11:04 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,011,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
^^^ Agreed. It's amazing how many people let the fear-industrial complex limit their travels. Look at a map until your eye says "that looks interesting", and book the flight and go.
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I'd still do a bit more research before heading somewhere. Looking at a map isn't likely going to tell me much.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:41 AM

691 posts, read 918,542 times
These are my thoughts and experiences...I was warned about Nigerians from other West Africans who said things like
"They are not to be trusted, they will take the watch off of your arm while you are still standing there talking to them".

They seem to have a bad reputation within Africa. Socially, many seemed cold and unfriendly and have a serious demeanor
about them. But some of them were really nice...For example, one Nigerian man asked if he could sit with me at a bus stop for employees. I asked questions he answered them. Saw him in the hall at work, just looked and didn't say hello or ignored me. But if alone he would say Hi...To me that is sometimey behaviour.

As an American, I would at least expect someone to say Hi in passing after sitting and talking with them a little bit.

The Eastern Nigerians for the most part seemed standoffish and unfriendly, the south westerners seemed more friendly
and the Northerners were just strange. I went to a local Nigerian independence day celebration..my guide was an AA woman who was married to a Nigerian national and lived in Nigeria 17 years. She said Nigerians even say among themselves don't trust each other.

Some didn't seem impressed that I knew much about Nigeria or Africa. The SL people loved the fact that I knew much about Africa than the average American. I would say that Nigeria has very rich traditions and cultures and is interesting
but socially they don't seem that friendly as Ghanaians or Sierra Leoneans. in my experience.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:28 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,955,295 times
If its an oil.rich country with billions in oil revenue, then where has the income all gone? The oil.producing areas are a cesspool of environmental blight, according to nsyional Geographic magazine. All the oil engineering jobs go to Chinese, instead of to trained native people

Old 03-24-2018, 03:29 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,955,295 times
I mean, National Geographic.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:08 PM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I'd still do a bit more research before heading somewhere. Looking at a map isn't likely going to tell me much.
But my point is that many people, instead of researching what they can experience, chooses to research what there is to fear. Why would al person rather experience an adventure in Belgium, rather than Tajikistan, for no other reason than their perception that Belgium is safer.

Brunei is probably the safest country on earth, but I met people who were afraid to go there because they read on Facebook that Christmas music was banned in supermarkets, making it an irrational police state ruled by Islamic extremists..

Old 03-25-2018, 01:57 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,011,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
But my point is that many people, instead of researching what they can experience, chooses to research what there is to fear. Why would al person rather experience an adventure in Belgium, rather than Tajikistan, for no other reason than their perception that Belgium is safer.

Brunei is probably the safest country on earth, but I met people who were afraid to go there because they read on Facebook that Christmas music was banned in supermarkets, making it an irrational police state ruled by Islamic extremists..
I can agree with that. Traveling tends to bring a sense of irational fear in some people. It could be related to the fact that the place presents a certain unknown that is largely absent at home.

It's good to be vigilant nevertheless as a lot of tourists tend to fall for different scams (guilty myself) because they let their guard down. Mine ended up being harmless, but others have been less fortunate.

Brunei is an interesting case. In many ways its policies seem to match those of the Maldives quite a bit. I think it's a way for smaller states to make a name for themselves (Singapore does it to, but in different areas). I think Brunei's biggest drawback is that it borders two far larger and incidentally more interesting nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or