Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 PM

587 posts, read 225,119 times

Advertisements

I know 2 people personally from this country and they are very friendly and sweet people...... (Both Males)

I just get a very warm feeling about it........... I was just wondering also .. How old the king is now in Nigeria? -- Anyone know?

I havent talked to 1 of my friends in along time.... (Simon) He has a laywer practice thats all i know....I would love finding him,I love him so much!! (I talk to my other friend Babatundae alot )

Anyone here ever visited Nigeria or do we have any members from here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
I'm from Nigeria. about a king, the country of Nigeria has dozens of "kings" likely "hundreds" of them to be honest. Each ethnic group and sometimes each Tribe has a King and most of these figures have limited political power although their words may hold power depending on certain controversies.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:14 PM

Ah very interesting!!!!!

I wonder if all the kings ever get togerther and share ideas

Old 02-13-2018, 05:36 AM

193 posts, read 158,631 times
Im Nigerian ( 2nd generation american ) been to Nigeria 4 times , twice with family twice by myself . The country has tons of potential especially places like Abuja/Lagos/Calabar but imo too much corruption in leadership , too many distractions holds , too much old beefs between the states hold country back. The country has tons of resources , goods , culture , cuisine , a pretty successful music/film industry.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Ahhh thats all interesting to know

Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
I was there in the 70s, when things were I guess about as bad as they can get. Landed in Lagos, spent a few days in the city, then the 50 mile bus trip out to Benin.

It was almost impossible to get around. It was an all-day drive from the center to the airport and back, and no working telephones at the airport. Electricity off more than on. Corruption was shrill.

But I actually liked it, I list it as one my favorite African cities. The people were stoically relaxed, always pleasant and never pushy. I never felt threatened in any way. Most people survived in their own little neighborhood, almost like Lagos was a thousand villages, each one self contained. Somehow there was enough food, no idea how it got transported or distributed. I didn't have strong sense of poverty, altghough my little hotel neighborhood looked pretty anonymous and ordinary.

Id like to go back to Nigeria, it seems to be in my comfort zone, and Im not afraid of it.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,374 times
Well I met quite a number of Nigerians, and it not a homogeneous country. They can sound different too, and it depends on what region they are from.

Nigeria even though it is poor, is better off economically compared to some of its neighbours. It is also home to Africa biggest economy.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:56 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I'm from Nigeria. about a king, the country of Nigeria has dozens of "kings" likely "hundreds" of them to be honest. Each ethnic group and sometimes each Tribe has a King and most of these figures have limited political power although their words may hold power depending on certain controversies.
Nigeria also has a lot of princes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_prince

If you want to learn more about Nigeria, you can read this book by Teju Cole--as I have already done:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/b...the-thief.html

Teju Cole writes rather unflatteringly about Nigeria--especially about both its extremely massive and widespread corrupt and its large-scale poverty.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:05 PM

24,608 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Don't know much about Nigeria or Nigerians, but the ones in America appear to very highly educated and hard working.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:46 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Don't know much about Nigeria or Nigerians, but the ones in America appear to very highly educated and hard working.
Yep. I knew a couple of them in graduate school, brilliant guys.

They despaired about the complicated politics of their homeland, and predicted accurately that a president who got elected at the time would soon be deposed in a coup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa