U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:53 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Huh
Not a big deal, but I was sarcastically referring to the other guys post about "get advice from South Africans living in South Africa"...as far as I know, you may be the only other poster here from South Africa so then the this thread in particular, and maybe the Africa forum in general, would not get any activity at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 01:53 PM

274 posts, read 293,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not a big deal, but I was sarcastically referring to the other guys post about "get advice from South Africans living in South Africa"...as far as I know, you may be the only other poster here from South Africa so then the this thread in particular, and maybe the Africa forum in general, would not get any activity at all.
Oh right, thanks for clarifying. I picked up the sarcasm part but seemed like it was aimed at me so I was a bit confused as to why

Old 03-14-2018, 11:41 PM

48 posts, read 17,458 times
Mexico was the most dangerous country in the world last year so calling SA dangerous and saying Mexico is ludicrous. SA is as beautiful as you can get in the world. Stay in tourist areas unlike Mexico which cartels have already killed people in Cancun and vow to do more

Old 03-16-2018, 11:08 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,256,182 times
Cape Town most certainly is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, if you have the opportunity to visit you really should. I lived there for 15 years, and was back for a visit in July 2017.

A few points:

1) I could not with a clear conscience encourage solo hiking for a woman anywhere in SA, but particularly in Cape Town. It really is dangerous. There are plenty of hiking clubs and groups, or go to a reputable climbing store like Camp and Climb and ask.

2) Some beaches are fine, some are not. Ask the locals about specific beaches.

3) One of the things my SA friends always point out is that every thing I wear stands out. People know your clothes, shoes, purse, etc. is not from SA, so although you may tone things down you just will stand out, especially when you speak. If you have traveled and have street smarts you will be fine.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:57 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,022,124 times
I traveled to Johannesburg and Cape Town as a single traveler (male) last year and never once did I feel threatened or unsafe.
Yes, I know there is lots of crime in both cities and I would not recommend going off on your own, hiking, etc. When I was in Cape Town a French tourist was mugged wandering around alone in Bo Kaap.

Take group day tours and stay in the V&Q Waterfront area in Cape Town (plenty of security walking around). And don't miss seeing a wonderful city like Cape Town.

As for beaches there are wonderful scenic beaches in Cape Town, but it was Feb. and I was told the water would be too cold for swimming.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:37 PM

34 posts, read 61,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Does South Africa's rape epidemic affects female tourists?
They rape anything from infants over there.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
You'll be fine to go do these things during the day. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be The dangers are more likely to come when you're wondering down a dark street late at night. Or possibly walking alone on the beach (although I think it's more common in Durban to get mugged on the beach)

But you shouldn't have any problems doing anything alone on the list I posted

With regards to Kruger National Park. There's nothing to worry about there either, it's very rare that people get hurt by the animals and if they do it's because they did something stupid.
You will be fine to do these things alone, just be sensible. Uber is a safe way to get around Cape Town. I would recommend that over car hire, and definitely don't catch a mini bus taxi.

Planning a safari should be a must. Safety wise, as said above there is nothing to worry about. It is very rare that people get hurt. There are many different parks to choose from, not just Kruger. I would book a guided drive though. Look at Addo Elephant Park.

It is an exceptionally beautiful country, filled with the friendliest people you will come across!

Old 02-27-2019, 03:56 PM

3,204 posts, read 3,198,606 times
Wow...how time flies.

This thread is old but I came back to let everyone know that I did visit the Seychelles and it was amazing.

Sadly I did not get to include Cape Town as part of this visit. I was going to celebrate my 40th birthday and my best friend that joined me really wanted to see Dubai which was where we had a layover. So I turned the trip into a Dubai/Seychelles trip instead of Seychelles/Cape Town (spending most of the time in the Seychelles).

I figured that even with two weeks, I should just simply save Cape Town for another time and hopefully when I do finally get there I can also do the Garden Route. I will be sure to come back to this thread to look back on all of the helpful suggestions!

Sharing some clips from the Seychelles portion of our trip below:
https://youtu.be/xT3BiPtoMjg

Old 02-27-2019, 04:12 PM

3,132 posts, read 3,347,610 times
Definitely no need to go on a tour to visit RSA. I have crossed paths with several women alone in CT, and the drill is usually they meet up with others at the hostel or place they stay. One can do day trips from CT with ease so no problem. Again you can hire a car with others and share costs.

Plenty to do in CT at night. Just ensure you get a taxi after dark, if any distance at all from lodgings, don't attempt to walk.

Its a great city and country. Crime is certainly an issue, but usually tourists are not impacted. Beaches in CT proper are too cold to swim for most people. Do not go to some of the isolated beaches alone.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:16 PM

3,132 posts, read 3,347,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Wow...how time flies.

This thread is old but I came back to let everyone know that I did visit the Seychelles and it was amazing.

Sadly I did not get to include Cape Town as part of this visit. I was going to celebrate my 40th birthday and my best friend that joined me really wanted to see Dubai which was where we had a layover. So I turned the trip into a Dubai/Seychelles trip instead of Seychelles/Cape Town (spending most of the time in the Seychelles).

I figured that even with two weeks, I should just simply save Cape Town for another time and hopefully when I do finally get there I can also do the Garden Route. I will be sure to come back to this thread to look back on all of the helpful suggestions!

Sharing some clips from the Seychelles portion of our trip below:
https://youtu.be/xT3BiPtoMjg
Just noticed your update. Glad to enjoyed Seychelles. Some decent beaches, I recall, but some harassment of women by some of the 'beach boys' as well when I was there but that was more than twelve years ago.

CT, worth doing.(one of my favourite cities) Garden Route, is safe and very attractive scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa