Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:02 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,741,886 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a solo trip to Africa in Feb 2019 for my 40th. I'm not 100% set on the places I will go yet but right now I am thinking Seychelles, Johannesburg and Cape Town. Likely for 2 weeks.

Things I'd like to do/am interested in: street markets (food and/or retail), scenic views/photography, food, beaches, light activity (short hikes/climbs), a little nightlife, and did I mention food?

I figure I'll just lay around in Seychelles. I haven't come up with an official list of things to do yet but so far think think that wine country, Table Mountain, Robben Island and the Apartheid Museum will be on the list. I hear February is a great time for festivals as well. I'm trying to think of a few unique things to do as well (think: paragliding? kite flying?).

Are the beaches in Cape Town too cold for swimming?

Am looking for suggestions on "must do" activities and also, just general tips on things not to do as well as safety tips. I have travelled places alone before (Mexico city, Rome, Spain, Portugal) but can always use advice specific to where I'm going, especially as solo female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 02:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I wouldn't go alone, and I'm someone who would LOVE to go to SA! Too much violence, including violence against women. The Seychelles may be ok. I haven't heard good things about Capetown, which is too bad, because there's a lot of good music happening there, musical theater, and other interesting goings-on, worth visiting. Mexico City and Europe don't begin to compare with the situation in SA.

I'll be interested in the other responses to this topic.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:47 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Does South Africa's rape epidemic affects female tourists?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Does South Africa's rape epidemic affects female tourists?
I wouldn't want to push my luck by testing the waters. How would anyone know someone's a tourist, anyway? OP asked about nightlife, for example. If someone's out and about at night, clubbing, or going to restaurants or whatever, how would locals know who's a tourist?

Old 03-11-2018, 09:56 PM

277 posts, read 380,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm considering a solo trip to Africa in Feb 2019 for my 40th. I'm not 100% set on the places I will go yet but right now I am thinking Seychelles, Johannesburg and Cape Town. Likely for 2 weeks.

Things I'd like to do/am interested in: street markets (food and/or retail), scenic views/photography, food, beaches, light activity (short hikes/climbs), a little nightlife, and did I mention food?

I figure I'll just lay around in Seychelles. I haven't come up with an official list of things to do yet but so far think think that wine country, Table Mountain, Robben Island and the Apartheid Museum will be on the list. I hear February is a great time for festivals as well. I'm trying to think of a few unique things to do as well (think: paragliding? kite flying?).

Am looking for suggestions on "must do" activities and also, just general tips on things not to do as well as safety tips. I have travelled places alone before (Mexico city, Rome, Spain, Portugal) but can always use advice specific to where I'm going, especially as solo female.
Hey,

So here is some information about Cape Town

1. Street markets/Food/Food Markets
- Hope Street Market
- Oranjezicht Market
- Biscuit Mill Market/Neighbourgoods Market
- Houtbay Market
- Longmarket Street
- Bree Street
- Long Street
- Kloof Street

2. Scenic views/Photography
- Table Mountain
- Signal Hill
- Lions Head
- Kirstenbosch Gardens
- Newlands Forest
- Bokaap
- Seapoint Promenade

3. Beaches
- Camps Bay Beach
- Llandudno Beach
- Clifton Beach
- Noordhoek Beach
- Blouberg Beach
- Muizenberg Beach

4. Light activity (short hikes/climbs)
- Signal Hill (Drive to the top)
- Lions Head (+/- 40 min slow walk to the top)
- Kirstenbosch Gardens (As long as you want)
- Newlands Forest (As long as you want)

5. A little nightlife
- Long Street (This is the busiest and tends to have a more crime + drugs. Caution walking around alone)
- Bree Street (Quieter and a lil' more hipster, 2 streets up from Long Street)
- Hidden Gin Bar on Wale Street (cool lil gin bar that's hidden behind a chocolate shop)
- Asoka on Kloof Street
- Shimmy Beach (Local band named Goldfish often plays here)

Quote:
I'm trying to think of a few unique things to do as well (think: paragliding? kite flying?).
- Shark Cage diving
- Surfing
- Cycle along the promenade
- Sidecar motorbike tour
- Helicopter tour
- Sunset cruise from the Waterfront
- Zipline through Hottentot Mountains
- Walking tours through the city
- Summer concerts in Kirstenbosch

Quote:
The water is freezing in my opinion. But I grew up swimming in a heated pool and driving down to Durban which has the warm Indian ocean. Most people who surf use wetsuits but a lot of people who grew up in Cape Town tend to swim in the ocean without too much concern. Muizenberg has slightly warm water compared to Camps Bay/Clifton/Blouberg

Quote:
Am looking for suggestions on "must do" activities and also, just general tips on things not to do as well as safety tips.
- Don't go to the townships alone.
- Be vigilant at night walking around the streets alone.
- Try not to flash valuables around.
- Don't use Minibus taxis
- Don't use the train
- Common sense mostly

Feel free to ask away if you want to know any more. I also grew up in Johannesburg if you want any information about that

Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
If you going to South Africa I recommend you go to on a organised group tour.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:19 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
I'm a 25 year female who travelled alone to South Africa for 7 months last year, primarily to visit my friends and family in Bloemfontein. I wasn't confronted at the various airports, bus stations or taxi ranks when I arrived, but I guess I tried not to look like a tourist.

The usual tell-tale signs are wearing inappropriate clothing, wandering around airport lounges looking a little confused, looking for taxis, checking maps or phones, information desks etc. Sometimes even carrying excessive luggage could be interpreted as a tourist. Also avoid using ATMs in or near these places, and don't show off your bling. Don't take selfies in or near airports on arrival either.

That said, and given that you've travelled to quite a number of countries around the world on your own, you probably have the common sense needed to keep your wits about you.

Cape Town, certainly has a lot to do, see and eat; and a previous poster has given a pretty good itinerary of what's out there. I would certainly pay the city a visit, especially on the many topless buses.

Definitely check out J'Burg if you can. The TripAdvisor link below, will give you a few pointers that I would recommend.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...g_Gauteng.html

Old 03-12-2018, 05:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Personally I would head east to Kruger and Kwazulu to explore S. Africa's beautiful and magnificent natural attractions and wildlife, rather than urban attractions. Why go to S. Africa just to lay on a beach and party? I can do that here. Doesn't make sense, but that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
If you going to South Africa I recommend you go to on a organised group tour.
You don't need a group tour in S. Africa at all. It's very easy to get around and the infrastructure is excellent. I went there 15 years go, simply got a rental car, and I was off...

Old 03-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

You don't need a group tour in S. Africa at all. It's very easy to get around and the infrastructure is excellent. I went there 15 years go, simply got a rental car, and I was off...
I think the point with that suggestion was to ensure safety. If you're male, you may not have had the same concerns. It doesn't sound like it, from your post. I thought it was a good idea.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:08 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Personally I would head east to Kruger and Kwazulu to explore S. Africa's beautiful and magnificent natural attractions and wildlife, rather than urban attractions. Why go to S. Africa just to lay on a beach and party? I can do that here. Doesn't make sense, but that's me.

You can't lay on a South African beach in the U.S. and every beach is different. I will get most of my beach time in obviously at Seychelles though.

When you say Kruger are you saying to visit for a safari? I actually didn't have a safari on my list of things to do (am a big scared of them) but I wasn't sure if by Kruger you are referring specifically to doing a safari at Kruger National Park. I honestly like a mixture of everything so I open to doing many sorts of things. I just didn't have Kruger on the list because I saw a few disturbing videos on YouTube of safari attacks

Maybe you missed some of the things I mentioned wanting to do such as hiking, Robben Island and the Apartheid museum. I'm the very early planning stages so I am looking for lots of suggestions. Honestly I want to do as much as I can from eating to nightlife to beaches to nature to wine tasting to hiking to street art photography and museums but I will obviously be a bit limited with time. I am open to any/all suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa