U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2018, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FsHTUjAQLI

Dr. Abiy Ahmed, of the Oromo ethnicity...a Doctorate in Peace and Security...and has long-standing Military ties.

Should be interesting, as with the previous Prime Minister, there were a ton of Oromo uprisings and conflicts throughout the Addis Ababa region...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2018, 10:17 AM
 
4,740 posts, read 8,802,443 times
Reputation: 4073
Another far left socialist. Expect more bad luck out of that s-hole.

Quote:
Abiy Ahmed Ali... is the 12th Prime Minister of Ethiopia. He is Chairman of both the ruling EPRDF (Ethiopian Peoples’ Revolutionary Democratic Front) and the OPDO (Oromo Peoples' Democratic Organization), which is one of the four coalition parties of the EPRDF.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiy_Ahmed_Ali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 05:08 PM
 
606 posts, read 465,756 times
Reputation: 1241
Ethiopia appears to be fortunate to have a caliber of leader in Abiy Ahmed that is extremely rare in Africa.
Since taking office he has released thousands of political prisoners, ended the war with Eritrea, 50% of his cabinet are female, appointed a female President (Ethiopias first) and a female supreme court chief justice.

On a continent whose leadership is still dominated by old, backward, small minded traditionalists, Ahmed appears to be a genuine modern liberal with different sensibilities and vision than the typical african president. Hopefully the first of a new breed that we will see more of in Africa.


https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/12/31/afr...ntl/index.html


https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-46735703


Abiy Ahmed's reforms are emboldening Investors to return to Ethiopia | We bring you latest news from Africa and across the globe

Last edited by TheArchitect; 01-21-2019 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Ethiopia appears to be fortunate to have a caliber of leader in Abiy Ahmed that is extremely rare in Africa.
Since taking office he has released thousands of political prisoners, ended the war with Eritrea, 50% of his cabinet are female, appointed a female President (Ethiopias first) and a female supreme court chief justice.

On a continent whose leadership is still dominated by old, backward, small minded traditionalists, Ahmed appears to be a genuine modern liberal with different sensibilities and vision than the typical african president. Hopefully the first of a new breed that we will see more of in Africa.
Nice summary! I've been half-aware of those things, so it's great to see those things written out like that. Yeah, that Eritrea/Ethiopia thing alone was HUGE.

But adding it to the other as well, wow! Ethiopia is definitely a unique place in Africa, and the World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 08:08 PM
 
3,505 posts, read 4,961,296 times
Reputation: 3499
Also, Addis Abbaba has just opened a city subway system --- the only one on the African continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 17 days ago)
 
5,198 posts, read 8,032,452 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Also, Addis Abbaba has just opened a city subway system --- the only one on the African continent.
The metro was inaugurated about 2 or 3 years ago, if I remember correctly. Don’t worry, I make the same mistake with other things. Sometimes time flies so fast we loose track of it. lol

It does looks like a nice system.





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 12:40 PM
 
1,691 posts, read 413,757 times
Reputation: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Also, Addis Abbaba has just opened a city subway system --- the only one on the African continent.
Didn't Algiers in Algeria also have a subway system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB7nvmDd4z0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 03:03 PM
 
2,781 posts, read 1,016,010 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Also, Addis Abbaba has just opened a city subway system --- the only one on the African continent.
It’s technically not a subway, but s light rail system. There are a few of them in Africa, of which the one in Tunis is the oldest (1985), if we exclude trams. Algiers and Cairo are the only ones that currently have subway systems.

Great development though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ransit_systems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 PM
 
Location: DC metropolitan area
632 posts, read 287,061 times
Reputation: 730
One of the demands behind the Oromo protest movement was to make the Oromos' language, Oromiffa, co-official with Amharic in Addis Ababa, the capital, and as a working language for the nation as a whole. It will be interesting to see if this pans out. Addis Ababa is completely surrounding by Oromia, the Oromo's ethnic state, but is functionally an Amharic-speaking city.

It used to be that Ethiopians could always communicate with each other in Amharic when going from one part of the country to another or when meeting abroad. Nowadays, they use English more and more. Since 1991-92, the country has been organized into ethnic states, most with their own language and the teaching of Amharic outside of Amhara, Addis Ababa, and several other officially Amharic-using states/cities has deteriorated.

Still, it will be on Oromo civil servants to impose their language within a population accustomed to using Amharic and not knowing a word of Oromo in order to raise the national status of their language. I don't think it is going to happen, even with an Oromo Prime Minister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
One of the demands behind the Oromo protest movement was to make the Oromos' language, Oromiffa, co-official with Amharic in Addis Ababa, the capital, and as a working language for the nation as a whole. It will be interesting to see if this pans out. Addis Ababa is completely surrounding by Oromia, the Oromo's ethnic state, but is functionally an Amharic-speaking city.

It used to be that Ethiopians could always communicate with each other in Amharic when going from one part of the country to another or when meeting abroad. Nowadays, they use English more and more. Since 1991-92, the country has been organized into ethnic states, most with their own language and the teaching of Amharic outside of Amhara, Addis Ababa, and several other officially Amharic-using states/cities has deteriorated.

Still, it will be on Oromo civil servants to impose their language within a population accustomed to using Amharic and not knowing a word of Oromo in order to raise the national status of their language. I don't think it is going to happen, even with an Oromo Prime Minister.
Thanks for stating that that way!

Actually, that reminds me of the Philippines. The national language of Tagalog is only good in Tagalog-speaking areas which happens to be Manila. The rest of the country much more prefers speaking in English to Tagalog-speakers, mostly because they don't want to recognize their Tagalog language as the national language.

That also explains why I sometimes meet Ethiopians who have a very strong grasp of English. I guess it is a great educated way to bypass and undermine one language that is imposing itself as the national language, when they don't want to recognize it as such. "Hey, if you won't speak my language (the Oromo one), than I'll just force you to speak English with me instead."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top