U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
2,070 posts, read 858,535 times
Reputation: 3663

Advertisements

My cousin is going with the Minnesota Orchestra 5 city tour in South Africa for four weeks. It sounds like it is a pretty big deal. They will be staying in five star hotels the whole time. She did say they will be traveling with armed security guards. So that sounds a little scary. Any tips on how to stay safe. Is the armed security guards a usual thing with tours like this from groups from USA?

I know of someone who was in, I think Cape Town, at a high end hotel and was told not to leave hotel at night. But they decided it was OK to walk across the street from the hotel to go to a restaurant. The three were robbed practically as soon as they stepped out of the hotel. Is it really that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2018, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Ireland
43 posts, read 24,145 times
Reputation: 137
It can be "that bad". Thats the thing about South Africa- you're always on the razors edge in terms of bad things that could happen. Most people dont realise it and ignorance is bliss but far too often for comfort tourists and visitors end up having something awful happen.

The fact that they are travelling with armed guards should be a comfort for you and your cousin but a damning indictment on South African society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 03:14 AM
 
275 posts, read 293,301 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidShepherd View Post
It can be "that bad". Thats the thing about South Africa- you're always on the razors edge in terms of bad things that could happen. Most people dont realise it and ignorance is bliss but far too often for comfort tourists and visitors end up having something awful happen.

The fact that they are travelling with armed guards should be a comfort for you and your cousin but a damning indictment on South African society.
It can be that bad anywhere though. I've been robbed more times in Europe than I have in Cape Town...

To OP. No it's not as bad as walking out your hotel and getting instantly robbed. Cape Town for the most part is pretty safe. I walk around at night in the middle of the city often and haven't had any problems. Worst I'll get is people begging for money or food follow you a little and keep asking.

Having armed guards for the tour people is pretty overkill in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Ireland
43 posts, read 24,145 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
It can be that bad anywhere though. I've been robbed more times in Europe than I have in Cape Town...

Bet it wasn't with AK47s....in your car....on a busy motorway....as brazen as you like...

Yeah I was probably over stating the danger here...

"Three German tourists, all reportedly in their 80s, were robbed by AK-47 wielding men while en route to catch a flight back home at the King Shaka International Airport in KwaZulu-Natal."

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...n-kzn-20180513
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 09:41 AM
 
275 posts, read 293,301 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidShepherd View Post
Bet it wasn't with AK47s....in your car....on a busy motorway....as brazen as you like...

Yeah I was probably over stating the danger here...

"Three German tourists, all reportedly in their 80s, were robbed by AK-47 wielding men while en route to catch a flight back home at the King Shaka International Airport in KwaZulu-Natal."

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...n-kzn-20180513
As opposed to the USA?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...210879244.html
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...bery/99072366/

Then add in any of the numerous school shootings with semi automatic weapons.

Crime is universal. We're not special. We're still living very good lives considering what else is happening in the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top