U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:46 AM

258 posts, read 76,155 times

Advertisements

Hi..
I'm an history amateur from Lugano - Ticino- Switzerland ..Europe ( I like Ancient Romans and European renaissance )
I would like to get more informations about ancient subsaharian African civilization.
I was completely unaware of black African civilization... but recently i watched an African documentary on TV.. It was a surprise to me to know that there were advanced black African civilizations dating back centuries years ago..long before European arrival..

I think that is time to discover the real black african history..

Ancient Empires
Writing system
Society organization
Technology
Tale
Myth & Legend
Ancient ruins

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-14-2019 at 05:51 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 01:43 PM

6,555 posts, read 9,068,716 times
Your second bottom sculpture is from the Benin kingdom not Yoruba.

Yeah sub Saharan Africa had it's share of kingdoms and empires. They are known but people have to be into African history to know about them. Some reasons the history of sub Saharan Africa isn't as well known is because most of the societies didn't leave written records and other than Great Zimbabwe,didn't build and leave structures that are still visible and that can be easily studied by archaeologist. The Benin empire did construct a wall around it's city that was longer than the Great Wall of China.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:40 AM

3,496 posts, read 2,510,345 times
If you consider "ancient" to be before the fall of the Western Roman Empire, try googling...

Kerma
Napata
Meroe
Axsum
Tichit
Djenne-Djenno
Nok
Mossylon
Malao
Mundus
Tabae
DMT

WRITING SYSTEMS
Meroitic
Geez

ARCHITECTURE
Nubian Pyramids
Taalos
Teha Temple

If you would include what we would refer to as the "Middle Ages,"

Ghana
Mali
Songhai
Kanem-Bornu
Swahili
Great Zimbabwe/Shona
Tichit-Oulata
Chenguetti
Audoghost
Oudane
Timbuktu
Gao

ARCHITECTURE
Great Zimbabwe
Gedi
Kliwa
Loripeni
Lalibella

WRITING SYSTEMS
Nsibidi
Ajami

There is a lot more than this, but this can get you started.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:48 AM

3,215 posts, read 4,710,850 times
Interesting that (outside Ethiopia) there was nothing but tribal societies when Europeans arrived.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Interesting that (outside Ethiopia) there was nothing but tribal societies when Europeans arrived.
You want want to look at the above post. This is simply NOT true.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:48 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,873,596 times
People don't know about ancient African societies outside of Egypt/Kemet primarily due to Europeans not being focused on them. There is actually a lot of information about the societies that cachibatches posted above.

I'm thinking the OP watched the Henry Louis Gates documentary about great African societies. Any information you read by him OP would be relevant and applicable to this topic - he is a revered historian of African and African American history and literature.

Some of the worst things done by Europeans was the complete denial of the fact that Africa had great kingdoms and civilizations (they viewed non-Europeans as inferior so didn't care to portray anything else about them and as a result most Europeans don't have much of a knowledge about Africa).

I am African American and am kind of "into" history and especially the works of revered black American sociologists and historians. Most people are unaware that the "father of black history" Dr. Carter Godwin Woodson wrote a large number of historical texts, many highlighting African nations/tribes/societies. A contemporary of his Schomburg (of whom the Schomburg center in NYC is named after) was also an amateur historian and collector of items of the African diaspora and texts regarding the history of Africa and its civilizations. These two amongst others, their works were vital in creating African/Africana/African American/Afro-Latino (etc) studies as subjects in universities and this was actually a goal of Dr. Woodson in particular - to create a basis of historical material for the continued study of African contributions to humanity.

In America even a large amount of our population have no good knowledge of the history of Africa primarily due to the fact that the works of black authors in this country were ignored or relegated as fantasy, even well researched material by Woodson, DuBois, and their historical/sociological progeny who were VERY much into documentation. Unfortunately due to the dominance of European colonialism around the world and the relegation of all things African as inferior, these great societies and their contributions to humanity are still greatly overlooked and unknown. Even the works of authors like Woodson, DuBois, E. Franklin Frazier, John Hope Franklin, and others are largely ignored by whites globally. Woodson in particular wrote dozens of books on black history and some were specifically focused on African tribes/nations. Very few people are aware of the large body of his work or the fact that he trained other black historians in how to conduct research and author historical texts that could withstand intense scrutiny. DuBois was more passionate as a sociologists but wrote some seminal texts on the history of black Americans in particular that were shelved and still largely ignored to this day. There are many others.

Today more non-black historians also are interested in and write great information about the history of Africa. Some good authors to review would be Frederick Cooper and Martin Meredith.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:41 PM

6,555 posts, read 9,068,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Some of the worst things done by Europeans was the complete denial of the fact that Africa had great kingdoms and civilizations (they viewed non-Europeans as inferior so didn't care to portray anything else about them and as a result most Europeans don't have much of a knowledge about Africa).
Lets not wait on Europeans.

Various outlets can be used to expand people's knowledge of African history. I like the Gates PBS documentary. But why hasn't BET or TVOne put on something related to African history?

Old 06-01-2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
People don't know about ancient African societies outside of Egypt/Kemet primarily due to Europeans not being focused on them. There is actually a lot of information about the societies that cachibatches posted above.

I'm thinking the OP watched the Henry Louis Gates documentary about great African societies. Any information you read by him OP would be relevant and applicable to this topic - he is a revered historian of African and African American history and literature.

I am African American and am kind of "into" history and especially the works of revered black American sociologists and historians. Most people are unaware that the "father of black history" Dr. Carter Godwin Woodson wrote a large number of historical texts, many highlighting African nations/tribes/societies. A contemporary of his Schomburg (of whom the Schomburg center in NYC is named after) was also an amateur historian and collector of items of the African diaspora and texts regarding the history of Africa and its civilizations. These two amongst others, their works were vital in creating African/Africana/African American/Afro-Latino (etc) studies as subjects in universities and this was actually a goal of Dr. Woodson in particular - to create a basis of historical material for the continued study of African contributions to humanity.

In America even a large amount of our population have no good knowledge of the history of Africa primarily due to the fact that the works of black authors in this country were ignored or relegated as fantasy, even well researched material by Woodson, DuBois, and their historical/sociological progeny who were VERY much into documentation. Unfortunately due to the dominance of European colonialism around the world and the relegation of all things African as inferior, these great societies and their contributions to humanity are still greatly overlooked and unknown. Even the works of authors like Woodson, DuBois, E. Franklin Frazier, John Hope Franklin, and others are largely ignored by whites globally. Woodson in particular wrote dozens of books on black history and some were specifically focused on African tribes/nations. Very few people are aware of the large body of his work or the fact that he trained other black historians in how to conduct research and author historical texts that could withstand intense scrutiny. DuBois was more passionate as a sociologists but wrote some seminal texts on the history of black Americans in particular that were shelved and still largely ignored to this day. There are many others.

Today more non-black historians also are interested in and write great information about the history of Africa. Some good authors to review would be Frederick Cooper and Martin Meredith.

I am a white guy and THE SOULS OF BLACK FOLK and THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF FREDERICK DOUGLAS are two of the best things ever written.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:53 PM

307 posts, read 468,765 times
One interesting thing about Africa, to me, is that the Bantu went straight from the Stone Age to the Iron Age about 1500 years ago, with no apparent outside intervention or influence.

Subsaharan Africans were very advanced in some areas, but lacked full contact with other civilization areas. Africa south of the Sahara and away from the eastern Coast and Sahel was largely isolated. Mesoamerica and the Andes were even more so. Europe was ahead by 1500 to a great degree it had more extensive contacts with a number of other civilizations.

Many Africans did have metallurgy (which no Native American civilization mastered - beyond some hammering of metal).
West African and Rift Valley agriculture was fairly advanced and intensive.
Oral culture was advanced, pre-colonial literacy - as far as I know - was limited to Ethiopia and areas with Arab/Muslim contact.
Professional artists and artisans were common, and societies were fairly stratified.

National Geographic, for years, tended to focus only on the more "extreme" or "exotic" tribal groups in Africa, such as Masai, San/Bushmen, Pygmies, Nuba, etc. I suspect they found the more common West African or Rift Valley farmer with oxen and metal tools to be a little too "boring" in comparison.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:56 PM

307 posts, read 468,765 times
One other point, anyone who thinks Africans are somehow "simple" or "primitive" should look at the grammar of any typical African language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or