U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:32 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,082,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post

They did have some writing systems but very little survived to see modern times. As evidence by the Mali empire and their library, the Vai in Liberia and Sierra Leone which is one of the world's oldest still-used alphabet, the Bassa (also Liberia) and more.
Some Africans did use the type of writing that allowed them to leave written records. For clarity I think it's good to distinguish between those writing systems that came before and after European contact. Mali and Timbuktu used Arabic writing. The Vai script and some others were developed after European contact.

"Five indigenous phonetic scripts were developed for the Mande language groups spoken in Liberia, Sierra Leone and southwestern Mali. The oldest of these is Vai, which was invented around 1832 by Momolu Duwalu Bukele of Liberia."

Inscribing Meaning: Vai and the Mande Syllabaries / National Museum of African Art

Old 06-13-2018, 05:25 AM

4,225 posts, read 3,593,423 times
You always have to dig for true history, and those who try to reframe history, only do it to maintain some type of superiority and appease old philosophies that promote Anglo Saxon as the standard.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 AM

914 posts, read 552,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Some Africans did use the type of writing that allowed them to leave written records. For clarity I think it's good to distinguish between those writing systems that came before and after European contact. Mali and Timbuktu used Arabic writing. The Vai script and some others were developed after European contact.

"Five indigenous phonetic scripts were developed for the Mande language groups spoken in Liberia, Sierra Leone and southwestern Mali. The oldest of these is Vai, which was invented around 1832 by Momolu Duwalu Bukele of Liberia."

Inscribing Meaning: Vai and the Mande Syllabaries / National Museum of African Art
Aside from Nsibidi and Adinkra, which are considered proto-writing that can't be used to write complete sentences, do you know of other examples?

Old 06-13-2018, 01:23 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,082,118 times
^

The Dogon people of Mali have an ideogram form of communication.

https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/chapte...mbols/?start=2

Old 06-14-2018, 01:46 AM

4,434 posts, read 4,423,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Thede empires are greatly exaggerated. They had no writing system, and there were no written accounts of the African kingdoms until the Arabs arrived. That was whan the Africans gained prosperity from the export of salt to the enlightened world to the north, facilitated by the domestication of camels.

Before the arrival of Arab traders and intellectualism, the kingdoms of Africa were no more advanced than the preliterate indigenous peoples of any other continent. They left no lasting records of their own culture.

Like SlavicVibes, I also love Africa, and I have been in almost every African country.
You realize every culture is influence by another culture, there no such thing as a culture that 100% indigenous in the first place. Generally all places involved through trade, exchange of ideas and war. So even a culture learn and barrow from another culture it's still there culture.

If there wasn't for Mesopotamia and Egypt there would be no Greece, And if there wasn't a Greece there would be no Roman Empire, in which Fred ideas to Germanic Tribes, Franks, Anglo Saxon, and Celtic and etc culture and Emerge to create new cultures.

And what you said is very broad Arab traders didn't just wake up one day discover African Kingdoms, It's not like European discovering the Americas dude. Sub Saharan Africa had been in contact trading across the Sahara to Middle East and the Mediterranean for thousands of Years since BC and paleolithic times, As societies advance some Arab writers went routes that people were already trade across for centuries. Other their no "until" this was process that happen over centuries not something that just suddenly happen. So as more Middle eastern states advances in the middle ages So did especially some West African and East African states because they was already in contact trading.

Also what your saying is false.... Nubia, and states in horn of Africa such as Ethiopian states actually did have there own Writing systems. And many other states started modifying Arabic script into Local languages Mandinka, Fulani, Woloof and etc.

What I find fascinating you can actually search names of rulers in different Kingdoms hundreds of years back, You can also search up timing of battles between states doing hundred back as while. And generally a lot of information about cultures of different states. More is out there then most have common knowledge to think is.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:08 AM

4,434 posts, read 4,423,000 times
I was sort of rushing in the last post, but my point was even before the spread of islam and spread of Arab influence, Sub saharan states were already trading with the Nubia, Egypt and Carthaginian hundreds of years before. Over time as they decline the newer more advance states came into extence in the middle east, Sub saharan states grow along with them doing the same there was always some type of contact.

And while early civilization like Nok is largely unkown because they didn't have a writing system we know of, Sub saharan Africa interestingly still had Iron age states. Others wise some African states with out a writing system where more advance then some that did because they was created during their bronze age.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 PM

3,507 posts, read 1,706,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
This proves what I’m saying... unless you were trying to do so. Outside of Greece and South Europe meaning Spain and Italy writing was civilization was scarce. In Africa it was North Africa, East Africa and West Africa that developed civilization and East Africa language. Their are of course other places in Africa and Europe that had variations of civilization. Ironically the most advanced parts of Europe- UK/ Germany and Nordic Countries were “savages” or uncivilized before. Same with the most advanced part of Africa- the island nations and Botswana/Namibia/South Africa sphere.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,245,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
This proves what I’m saying... unless you were trying to do so. Outside of Greece and South Europe meaning Spain and Italy writing was civilization was scarce. In Africa it was North Africa, East Africa and West Africa that developed civilization and East Africa language. Their are of course other places in Africa and Europe that had variations of civilization. Ironically the most advanced parts of Europe- UK/ Germany and Nordic Countries were “savages” or uncivilized before. Same with the most advanced part of Africa- the island nations and Botswana/Namibia/South Africa sphere.
Spain has only existed since 1492 writing existed in territory that wasn't part of modern day Spain such as parts of the territory that comprises modern day Portugal.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:47 AM

691 posts, read 920,581 times
I think that West Africa was more advanced than North American Indians but not as advanced as Egypt or Nubia. They were
organized enough to form city-states, empires but they still did not have an indigenous system of writing, some did adopt
Arabic. Maybe on the level of the Incas (I don't think they developed writing either).

I think an old definition of civilization was that you had to have writing, but I think you can have literate and non-literate
civilizations. One West African friend told me they didn't need to develop on the scale of Egypt because they had "Spiritual
Technology". He may have a point as I have seen some videos on West Africa where in certain ceremonies and festivals
there were things that defied logical explanation.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:19 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,523,400 times
Quote:

We don't have any argument with this, but it is NOT what you said and does not prove anyting that you said:

Quote:
The Middle East to the Romans to much of Europe. Then again from England during the industrial revolution to the rest of Europe. Europeans didn’t have many scripts before the Greeks/Romans either not having a script doesn’t mean you can’t build civilization you could just adopt one.
Europe arguably had the first writing or proto-writing in the world and a number preceding and contemporaneous with Greek and Latin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or