U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2018, 05:46 PM
 
4,433 posts, read 4,415,587 times
Reputation: 3500

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This doesn't ring true at all. The Wolof language has no literary legacy and its use of Arabic script was limited and used intermittently. It was an extensive trade language. Same goes for your other examples. I sign of literacy and usage even among an elite would be a translated Koran or Bible. The first of which didn't appear in African languages until the 19th century at the earliest. Hausa and Yoruba Korans weren't translated until 20th century.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolofal_script

The argument you just made is litteally an emotional argument over nothing. That is not only false and it had little to do with my post.

What the writing were use for religious or trade is irrelevant, the point was there was written languages. Which was the whole point of the post.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbuktu_Manuscripts

The Timbuktu manuscript for example where written Arab and Songhay going back to the Mali and Songhai empire. Your incorrect.

 
Old 06-25-2018, 05:47 PM
 
24,198 posts, read 17,584,759 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiago12 View Post
Bamum script developed in Cameroon




At the Bamum Palace Archives – a small dusty room inside the walls of the palace – are held over 7000 documents, many of which pre-date the arrival of the first Europeans in 1902. These documents are written in African languages and transcribed in an indigenous African writing system – the Bamum script of the Cameroon Grassfields.













I believe that no student in Europe is aware of the existence of African scriptures with no relation to arabic and european scriptures..
They should also be aware that Arabic numerals come from India and that the Latin alphabet, based on the Greek alphabet was based on Middle Eastern scripts.

City Data has too many people who declare themselves experts on everything without having any relevant academic credentials, work experience, or personal experience.
 
Old 06-26-2018, 09:02 AM
 
909 posts, read 549,001 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolofal_script

The argument you just made is litteally an emotional argument over nothing. That is not only false and it had little to do with my post.

What the writing were use for religious or trade is irrelevant, the point was there was written languages. Which was the whole point of the post.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbuktu_Manuscripts

The Timbuktu manuscript for example where written Arab and Songhay going back to the Mali and Songhai empire. Your incorrect.
I don't think EdwardA was doubting the existence of these scripts, but was challenging your assertion that literacy was as widespread in Yoruba, Wolof and other lands as they were in Europe or the Middle East, where copies or the Bible or the Koran were common. It's not an emotional argument and it's not over nothing.
 
Old 06-26-2018, 01:50 PM
 
605 posts, read 465,023 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiago12 View Post
Bamum script developed in Cameroon




At the Bamum Palace Archives – a small dusty room inside the walls of the palace – are held over 7000 documents, many of which pre-date the arrival of the first Europeans in 1902. These documents are written in African languages and transcribed in an indigenous African writing system – the Bamum script of the Cameroon Grassfields.

















I believe that no student in Europe is aware of the existence of African scriptures with no relation to arabic and european scriptures..


No students in Europe or America. I didn't know about these writing systems until well into adulthood post college.




Regarding the Igbo Nsibidi writing. There is a large amount of info online. This is the one I believe that was purely indigenous with no Arabic influence and appeared many centuries before colonial era.







https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5_TDFz7Ogg





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KIDfcqtf-k










NSIBIDI PROJECT | TIMOTHY NORR
 
Old 06-26-2018, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,624 posts, read 16,424,212 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolofal_script

The argument you just made is litteally an emotional argument over nothing. That is not only false and it had little to do with my post.

What the writing were use for religious or trade is irrelevant, the point was there was written languages. Which was the whole point of the post.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbuktu_Manuscripts

The Timbuktu manuscript for example where written Arab and Songhay going back to the Mali and Songhai empire. Your incorrect.
The link you provided does not support your contention or disprove mine. Show me some text in Wolof written in the period that you claim.
 
Old 06-26-2018, 11:33 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 2,033,149 times
Reputation: 5210
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But back to Mali, Timbucktu has a Jewish population and even today there are still some Jews in Mali.
They were Shemites. Many modern-day Africans are descendants of Ham. The Shemites were the educated...many of the ones who were later sold into slavery. The OP's post has some interesting information. Some of those tribes were not African (Hamites) by lineage. They just dwelled in Africa.
 
Old 06-27-2018, 08:38 AM
 
605 posts, read 465,023 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
They were Shemites. Many modern-day Africans are descendants of Ham. The Shemites were the educated...many of the ones who were later sold into slavery. The OP's post has some interesting information. Some of those tribes were not African (Hamites) by lineage. They just dwelled in Africa.


Lol. No such thing as a "Hamite". Any Jewish populations in black Africa are certainly not the result of descent from fictional biblical characters.
 
Old 06-27-2018, 09:32 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 2,033,149 times
Reputation: 5210
Hahaha...if you say so.
 
Old 06-29-2018, 12:03 AM
 
6,555 posts, read 9,068,716 times
Reputation: 2837
How broad was the use of the Vai and Bamum scripts? Did people produce any literature or records using these scripts?
 
Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Switzerland/Ticino
258 posts, read 76,376 times
Reputation: 122





Old Ashanti House










Olde Iceland houses (Scandinavians-Vikings)



Ashanti old house is more sophisticated...



So was Vikings/Scandinavian "architecture" equal or inferior to Ashanti "architecture" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top