U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,082,118 times

Advertisements

What type of gov't would be best suited for the various African countries?

The link to this quote is no longer up. But it highlights some interesting observations. It's about Africans building on or modernizing their traditional forms of governing and using it as an influence on their countries. It seems to be promoting the use of a "stateless" model for African countries.

Quote:
Now, this type of leadership (the military-style) is American and un-African for two reasons. First, there were/are many traditional African societies which did not have leaders (the stateless or acephalous societies). The Igbo, the Somali, the Kikuyu, the Kru, the Tiv, the Ga, are some examples. These were the societies the Europeans colonialists had the most difficulty with.

The Europeans had it in their head that every society must have a leader. But the Ga, the Igbo and the Somali had no political leaders. So the Europeans created "leaders" for these "backward" peoples...

Do we need "commander-in-chief" type of leaders? In normal times, I do not think so. Look at Switzerland. Who is the president of Switzerland? Scratching your head? Even a Swiss won't know! Next time you run into a Swiss, ask him who is the president of his country and he probably won't know! It is because theirs is a confederation of 13 cantons, with a weak rotating presidency – not the Lee Kwan Yew or Lee Iaccoca style of leadership. But look at Swiss society. It functions with clock-like precision...
This link touches on some similar info:

https://seunfakze.wordpress.com/2012...f-g-n-ayittey/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 11:35 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,423,000 times
A lot of inaccurate stuff in that article

Ethnicity and political states aren't the same thing, "Ga, the Igbo and the Somali" are ethnicities of courses there no leader for that........... but those groups though of history have created or been apart of states that had.

Example the Kingdom of Nri was Igbo state, so of course there no solo Igbo King that wouldn't make sense. There was Nri King..... The Nri people just happen be Igbo culture.

Kingdom of Nri

The same thing with Somali People that's ethnicity and culture, so of course there wasn't a solo Somali King, Somali people lived in different Somali Kingdoms each had there own rulers.

Ajuran Sultanate

The Biafran war of 1967 or the Nigerian civil War, Wasn't that Igbo people rejected a nation of a poltical state, but rather they trying form a separate Igbo nation-State away from Nigeria itself.

This is why I pointed out a lot conflicts and civil wars in Africa Ethnicities base because you had cultures and groups that seprate states, So modernly ethnic tension risen.

This happen in Europe 1800-1940 a lot of central Europe today Germany and Italian was divide into smaller Kingdoms, Unification of Germany, Italian unification, The difference is through trail and error Europe formed their on political states boundaries modernly now they have nothing to do with ethnicity but historically it did, Modern Africa boundaries completely ignore historical African cultures.

So political states aren't the issue, the issue the way modern political states formed they was forced and not a long cultural lines. So older ethnic tension were never resolved. I don't think modern African states should disapear they are what they are, but there need to be more unity across Different cultures for the growth of current political states.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:05 PM

4,453 posts, read 1,693,092 times
In the modern era, economics trumps politics. A government organization simply regulates the economy, to defuse to some degree the wild rush to oligarchy, which ultimately results anyway.

So the form of "government" that ideally prevails is the one that best assures that the wealth and means of production are used to advantage.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:50 AM

3,181 posts, read 3,360,140 times
Although a government should be in position to govern and not simply manage, allowing a laissez faire system to rule. A good government should rule and attempt to do its best for all its people, not a few. Nor there to enrich itself.

As far as economic success stories go in Africa, Botswana is the most often cited I believe, in running a successful and well run country.

Of course many countries have long standing issues around territory and or tribe/ethnicity that would tax the minds of the most efficient run country.

I am of the mind, that more people of goodwill, are in position attempting to make change, make a difference, but no easy task.
Getting rid of corruption in all forms or at least making savage attempts to do so would definitely be the best form of government to kick of proceedings by.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:52 AM

Somaliland would be a good place to look for guidance. Four million people in a state the size of Montana, who have decided to disregard the non-existent government of Somalia, and go it alone despite the absence of diplomatic recognition by a single country. Sensible local priorities have been set by the governing body in Hargeisa, a pleasant, friendly, safe city of dirt streets and nearly a million Somalis, but with decently reliable (by African standards) electricity, internet, potable water, even trash pickup with compactor trucks.

It would be inspiring to think it will succeed, but in the end, the current paradigm of global diplomacy has a hammerlock on everything, and nothing will be allowed to deviate. Somaliland will be crushed.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:21 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,593,423 times
Definitely no Western model. Let’s deal with strife and division first.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,082,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post

Definitely no Western model. Let’s deal with strife and division first.
Botswana I think has a good model to build on. This is about the role it's Kgotla meetings play in governing. I would assume that other African cultures have their own version of Kgotla that they could utilize more.

Quote:
“The Kgotla continues to provide a platform for consultations on various issues such as development, governance and any other issues of national importance. “

He underscored the pivotal role played by Bogosi in the development of our societies, adding that through the Kgotla, consultations on various development issues take place.

Republic of Botswana - Government portal

Last edited by Motion; 07-11-2018 at 10:34 PM..

Old 07-12-2018, 12:37 AM

3,774 posts, read 2,041,871 times
Libya had it at one time buuuuut...some people didn't like that soooo...it didn't end well.

I don't have much hope for Africa under their current leaders. They show too much deference to the West. How do you have an entire continent of native leaders yet be controlled by the West? HOW. DOES. THIS. HAPPEN. They should be ashamed of themselves. To make matters worse, their best and brightest flee to Western nations. Terrible. Where is the honor?

Old 07-12-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Botswana I think has a good model to build on. This is about the role it's Kgotla meetings play in governing. I would assume that other African cultures have their own version of Kgotla that they could utilize more.
. Botswana's economy is largely based on capital investment from people fleeing from the uncertainties of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe and South Africa, and basically , Botswana's government is a puppet of those highly westernized economic interests, like Switzerland was during the world wars..

Yes, Botswana is a success, but it is the antithesis of the Africanization model. Unless Africa completely sells out to western interests, there isn't much room for a lot of Botswanas to be springing up everywhere.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:46 AM

1 posts, read 355 times
Please help me find my father his name are Jones or John muntukabani hlongwane from emthunzini KwaZulu natal and my mother is thuma tholakele mazubane and my name is bheki mazubane his son he to emthunzini KwaZulu natal to take over his brother wive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or