U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:27 AM

957 posts, read 1,548,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
South Africa is a beautiful country. My recommendation to anyone visiting or relocating there should first to stay in a hotel that also has an option for longer term stays (they are more like condos or are called villas in Africa, can be expensive but worth it, a travel agent should be able to help you with this) as there will be less chances of experiencing violence. Move around the country and stay for a while before purchasing.

Not all areas in South Africa are violent but do your research and travel to several cities first as SA is large. The food, art, shopping, weather, and culture in So. Africa is amazing. South Africa isn't anymore dangerous than the USA or the UK. With any major city you are going to experience issues.

Most people with money from other African countries go to So Africa for serious medical treatment as they have better facilities and medicine and doctors in the continent.

It is important to link up with other expats, it's a must and there are several expat communities out there.

Most of the people I know in South Africa love living there and haven't had issues other than robberies in the stores they own. I know some people have experienced home invasions and car robberies but from what I've heard it is a bigger issue in Johannesburg. For the most part people don't want to leave So Africa. Cape town or right outside Cape town would be my suggestion, keep in mind and or do research about the water shortage issues that is affecting Cape town. Durban is a good option all the amenities you could possibly want are right there.

Europeans do retire and or relocate to SA. People from the USA not so much, they just don't know much about the continent besides Nelson Mandela.
If I were to retire in South Africa, I would most definitely choose the place with the best quality of healthcare. Some of the most important factors would be: highest level of amenities being offered in hospitals, lower costs, shorter waiting times, wide range of insurance coverage, etc.

Does anyone know which cities/places meet the above criteria?

Last edited by OZpharmer; 07-08-2019 at 04:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 06:45 AM

12,303 posts, read 18,425,337 times
I'm actually surprised retirement in S. Africa is even a realistic consideration given the safety and security issues in that country, but apparently it is. Cheap cost of living, good weather, feature a visa program for retirees, etc.

I would think there are better and closer options for American expat retirees however in Central and South Africa. Safer and more secure, and a bit closer to home.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:46 AM

3,122 posts, read 6,839,307 times
OZpharmer

There is some information about health insurance on the web related to So. Africa. But not a lot of countries in Africa offer health insurance. Most people just pay for the service. The standard of health care is exceptionally good in South Africa. The healthcare industry is growing all throughout Africa and if you can pay for the service no matter the country you should get good care as long as you don't live in a remote part of the country. Health services are relative to co-payments made in the USA.

Here is a link to expat healthcare.

https://www.expatica.com/za/healthca...africa-105895/

The amenities and healthcare in So. Africa are 5 star depending on the area.

You may also want to look into Mauritius (Hawaii/Carribean of Africa not a good comparison that that is what rings to mind) or Kenya (London of Africa). Cape town & Durban is more like LA. So Africa is a cross between USA/Europe/Africa and has all of the affluent amenities one can want. All depends on what you are interested in.

Dd714
I guess you meant to say So. America? None the less, retirement in the USA doesn't seem realistic especially since many seniors are now retiring later in life not by choice and or can't retire altogether. Also So Africa isn't crime ridden. Not sure if you have ever been there? While I love So. America the healthcare system points I made are equivalent to that of Africa.

Last edited by bayarea-girl; 07-08-2019 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 04:45 PM

12,303 posts, read 18,425,337 times
Quote:
Dd714
I guess you meant to say So. America? None the less, retirement in the USA doesn't seem realistic especially since many seniors are now retiring later in life not by choice and or can't retire altogether. Also So Africa isn't crime ridden. Not sure if you have ever been there? While I love So. America the healthcare system points I made are equivalent to that of Africa.
I did indeed. My mistake.

Yes I have been to So. Africa several times for both business and pleasure. Crime ridden is a subjective term of course, the only thing I can say, and I mentioned it in another forum here just recently, is that it's the only place (Joburg) where the company assigned me a bodyguard (who I assume was armed) for my business trip...and I've been to some serious crapholes in my career.
It is a beautiful country however and had no negative experiences myself in my visits.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 AM

957 posts, read 1,548,125 times
Quote:
OZpharmer

There is some information about health insurance on the web related to So. Africa. But not a lot of countries in Africa offer health insurance. Most people just pay for the service. The standard of health care is exceptionally good in South Africa. The healthcare industry is growing all throughout Africa and if you can pay for the service no matter the country you should get good care as long as you don't live in a remote part of the country. Health services are relative to co-payments made in the USA.

Here is a link to expat healthcare.

https://www.expatica.com/za/healthca...africa-105895/

The amenities and healthcare in So. Africa are 5 star depending on the area.

You may also want to look into Mauritius (Hawaii/Carribean of Africa not a good comparison that that is what rings to mind) or Kenya (London of Africa). Cape town & Durban is more like LA. So Africa is a cross between USA/Europe/Africa and has all of the affluent amenities one can want. All depends on what you are interested in.
Thanks for the info. However, South Africa is the only African country I am interested in.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:05 PM

3,122 posts, read 6,839,307 times
OZpharmer,

If So. Africa is what you are interested in, have you been there yet? Have you narrowed down the area you want to be in? Durban from Cape town for instance is 12-14 hours away from each other. Both have great amenities. Pretoria is a nice option and is smaller, Port Elizabeth is also nice. It really depends on what things are important to you. For example coastal living or farmland. City living, remote, small town. There is also Walmart believe it or not.

Get in touch with an expat community online. But you have to be there it to make sense to you. I've been a number of times but as a visitor and or on business. Most of the people I know have settled in Cape town, Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth and Durban so I don't know much about other areas.

Some recommendations are:

Hout Bay
Hyde Park
Steyn City
Sandton
Camps Bay

The food, shopping, hotels, hospitality is above and beyond what you can get in the states.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:29 AM

8,638 posts, read 8,537,756 times
I recently saw a doc on the water crisis in SA.... Something we take for granted here in the land of 10,000 lakes is a real problem there.Capetown has a real problem which often highlites the poverty/wealth difference...

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/cap...x-documentary/

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-other-cities/

https://thewaterproject.org/water-cr...s-south-africa

Old 07-10-2019, 09:24 AM

276 posts, read 293,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I recently saw a doc on the water crisis in SA.... Something we take for granted here in the land of 10,000 lakes is a real problem there.Capetown has a real problem which often highlites the poverty/wealth difference...

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/cap...x-documentary/

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-other-cities/

https://thewaterproject.org/water-cr...s-south-africa
Cape Town is doing a lot better the last time I checked They got a good amount of rain last year (comparatively to the last 5 years) and this year it's also been better.

The current restrictions aren't nearly as bad as they were during the Summer of last year:

https://www.capetown.gov.za/Family%2...ions-explained

Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 AM

10,078 posts, read 14,035,277 times
So from what I gather from this thread....................Capetown is a possibility................Joburg forget it.

My uncle recently visited SA and loved it. He was with an armed tour guide and had no problems at all. Just a few kids begging for change.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 AM

276 posts, read 293,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
So from what I gather from this thread....................Capetown is a possibility................Joburg forget it.

My uncle recently visited SA and loved it. He was with an armed tour guide and had no problems at all. Just a few kids begging for change.
Joburg is as possible as Cape Town, it's just not as nice All of my friends parents are doing their retirement in Joburg. My parents have kind of split their retirement between Gauteng and Western Cape as they own a house in both. Although they're both about an hour drive from the city They just go between them for a few months at a time whenever they feel like a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or