U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 11:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 4,887,924 times

Advertisements

I dated a man from Johannesburg who spent many years there. He said anybody with a decent job or money lives in a house with armed guards, security systems, etc. He blamed the end of apartheid and no job opportunities for minorities for the heavy crime rate. I would never want to live somewhere where I have to take an armed guard with me every time I leave the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 11:55 AM

277 posts, read 294,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I dated a man from Johannesburg who spent many years there. He said anybody with a decent job or money lives in a house with armed guards, security systems, etc. He blamed the end of apartheid and no job opportunities for minorities for the heavy crime rate. I would never want to live somewhere where I have to take an armed guard with me every time I leave the house.
A bit of an exaggeration. Nobody has armed guards. If you live in a complex or estate then there might a unarmed guard at the gate or some complexes have unarmed security guards who walk around the complex to check things are fine throughout the day/night.

I'm not even going to attempt to address the problems with his reasons for the high crime rate. Especially since that just goes off topic to what the OP is wanting to know. Feel free to PM if you want to know my thoughts there

Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 PM

26 posts, read 9,661 times
Its 2019, South Africa is a dump. Not only for whites but also blacks. Maluma has destroyed the country.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 PM

1,485 posts, read 730,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
How is South Africa for retirement fir Americans? We are in Durban - lovely city which reminds me a bit of San Diego California. I am.told :housing is reasonable. But is safety a big concern here judging from all the security systems on houses. Staying in Glenwood.
South Africa is a strange retirement destination for Americans without an existing tie to the country. As I am sure you realize, the travel time is very long. I wouldn't worry too much about safety in South Africa as long as you are prudent and familiar. Housing prices in South Africa are reasonable, as is the cost of living. However, again, it seems strange for Americans to be considering it without an existing tie.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:23 PM

693 posts, read 592,606 times
Treat South Africa as you would certain parts of Chicago, Haiti or parts of Rio de Janeiro. Cape Town has a 50% white population and of course is the safest part of South Africa. If you move to the safe parts with safe demographics it may be a nice place to live, but unlike parts of Chicago or parts of brazil, the country is 90% black and run by people who call for genocide against white farmers and families without reservation. My sympathies go out to the millions of white South Africans and Boers who were victims of violence, harassment and persecution. I would love to go to South Africa as a tourist but I certainly donít want to live there. South Africa should be a lesson to all people calling for non western immigration into the U.S.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 AM

1,485 posts, read 730,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Treat South Africa as you would certain parts of Chicago, Haiti or parts of Rio de Janeiro. Cape Town has a 50% white population and of course is the safest part of South Africa. If you move to the safe parts with safe demographics it may be a nice place to live, but unlike parts of Chicago or parts of brazil, the country is 90% black and run by people who call for genocide against white farmers and families without reservation. My sympathies go out to the millions of white South Africans and Boers who were victims of violence, harassment and persecution. I would love to go to South Africa as a tourist but I certainly donít want to live there. South Africa should be a lesson to all people calling for non western immigration into the U.S.
You are so misinformed and filled with racist nonsense. I doubt that you have ever even been to South Africa or even Chicago, Haiti, or Rio.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM

693 posts, read 592,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You are so misinformed and filled with racist nonsense. I doubt that you have ever even been to South Africa or even Chicago, Haiti, or Rio.
Racism is when 90 percent of violent crimes between blacks and whites is black on white. Are you really suggesting that South Africa isnít a very dangerous place? Of course there are always enclaves and tourist areas where money buys security like in South Africa (including 10 foot walls surrounding homes and security guards) but on the whole those places are unfortunately very unsafe relative to the alternatives.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:33 PM

3,126 posts, read 6,840,941 times
I'm not sure why the people who have never been to places in Africa can say with certainty that they would never visit, that it is a bad place, or that one race has it worse than the other and or can speak to the crime? Please stop watching fox news! White people are not targeted in So Africa and are actually the least group to experience crime.

White So. Africans aren't being killed at alarming rates. White farm murders have been on the decline.
2017 - 47 murders - white farm murders
2016 - 67
1997 - 153

There is no evidence to suggest the murders were even related to race.

For the most part white South Africans aren't going anywhere in fact they will stay there and continue to live a great life. There are too many Europeans and South Americans that relocate there annually. If things were so bad for them wouldn't they relocate? They won't because they live good lives there. White So. Africans still monopolize industries in So Africa.

So. Africa held onto to apartheid for way too long so I certainly feel for the Africans that had to endure inequalities in their own country. It is interesting that when you compare the USA to So. African there are a lot of similarities. The alt right supremacy groups keep putting propaganda out there to scare people which is just sad.

Given the history of South Africa it is absolutely one of Africa's treasures. Nelson Mandela set the tone for its bright future. Africans by nature are nice, welcoming, and peaceful people and So Africa will be an example for the West.

More interesting visits from people on youtube posting their trip to So. Africa below. The beaches and scenery are breathtaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUP8Nwo7Iwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srP7RFVdjWc&t=39s

Old 07-14-2019, 11:58 PM

277 posts, read 294,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
For the most part white South Africans aren't going anywhere in fact they will stay there and continue to live a great life. There are too many Europeans and South Americans that relocate there annually. If things were so bad for them wouldn't they relocate? They won't because they live good lives there. White So. Africans still monopolize industries in So Africa.
Depending on how you define "For the most part" but the number of people emigrating is increasing each year

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news...-high-numbers/
https://city-press.news24.com/News/s...untry-20190117
https://businesstech.co.za/news/life...ia-and-the-uk/

People stay for various reasons
* Some can't because they don't have the necessary skills to get whatever visa is required of them
* Maybe they don't have the money to make the move
* People don't want to leave their families (e.g. My parents can't move because they're retired. My aunt and uncle tried to move to Australia but got rejected because of their age)
* And of course people stay because it's their home and they love the country

I moved to Berlin last year but my reasons were more career and travel based though as it's too expensive to see the world from SA But my long term plan will most likely be to save as much as I can while working abroad and maybe eventually head back to SA and buy myself a nice house in Cape Town

Old 07-15-2019, 12:06 AM

3,181 posts, read 3,360,140 times
I'm a big fan of Cape Town and have been there several times both pre and post apartheid. Great vibe lovely surrounding countryside and some great drives to be had along the Garden Route. Pretty much safe, with some lovely towns to stop over en route. But to retire? No way. I would not wish to be vulnerable and old there. Not entirely crime, but certainly a consideration. In a country which such a huge number of people in the margins with so many living in townships not far from the centre of CT, and how this will pan out over coming years why would anyone chance it?
If young, I can well imagine (and know) folk that have settled there from Europe and love it. In our more vulnerable years a different story. Saying that, there are some absolute gems of places to live out of CT in 'artificial crated ' worlds in a sense.
Even in recent years, knowing CT well, still get stopped on the street on occasions by the odd character either high on drugs or just plan dangerous (most are not) and tend to comply with buying food or a few rand to ward off a very likely hostile situation.
I would not walk too late at night in central CT these days, although do after dark apart from a few main streets just not after a certain time. In times past I did these things without much thought. Great place for holiday. Or indeed to live a time. But to retire in age I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or