U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 06:27 AM

8,967 posts, read 8,784,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Given the history of South Africa it is absolutely one of Africa's treasures. Nelson Mandela set the tone for its bright future. Africans by nature are nice, welcoming, and peaceful people and So Africa will be an example for the West

While not an attempt to change the thread subject, I question your assesment of Africans. Hutu vs Tutsi in Rwanda. The MLC's operation "Effacer le tableau" in the Congo, are examples that would suggest otherwise...............
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 01:37 PM

3,282 posts, read 6,964,634 times
my54ford.

You are going off topic and should start a new thread or add onto another. Have you been to Rwanda? Do you understand the conflict? Both conflicts you mentioned arose because of colonization (and I would argue lack of education and infrastructure which are improving, poverty always leads to issues you should understand similar conflicts roots that have arisen is the USA). Africa is not a war zone! I question your intelligence around Africa and its current global position?

Compare the crimes and incarceration rates of the USA and or even Europe to Africa it is by far much lower in the continent of Africa. The current genocide, human rights violations, and terrorism is occuring in the USA right now. Violent crimes, gun control, police violence, and an overwhelming increase in homelessness are amongst the most serious issues the USA faces. Food security, water supply, gas, and jobs will prove to be a serious issue in the coming years.

Retiring in the USA will not be an option for many Americans that is why many are moving to places like Mexico to retire (truly ironic). Most of the doctors and healthcare professionals in the USA aren't even American and like everything else is being outsourced to other countries. Do you know what you are eating or where it is coming from? This should shock you more than someone wanting to move to So Africa. BTW food in Africa is truly organic/fresh! How can you offer negative commentary to places you have never been to or histories you don't understand?

Africa isn't for everybody but neither is the west. The whites, asians, and Indians that I know that live in So. Africa who can easily move wherever they want to (some have even bought properties in places like Kenya) aren't going anywhere.

Now if you said there is an issue with medical services, medical technology, access to medicines in Africa I could agree with you on those points. Those improvements are happening but not as quickly as it should. So Africa doesn't have these issues. But I would argue if the people in the USA can even afford healthcare costs and or medicine?

Rwanda Today - Dubbed the cleanest country in Africa or the Singapore of Africa I am proud of Rwanda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0muJcrtwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLeURbtudQ

Haven't been to the Congo but here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZiTrqPuc1g

Africans are religious, prideful, educated, peaceful, family orientated people! Africa is changing and I'm proud of its growth. Sure there are issues but its growth is why people from around the world are investing in the continent. If you've not visited please do and if you don't intend to, don't.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:05 AM

48 posts, read 27,965 times
@bayarea-girl

Reading your comments and analysis of South Africa (abbreviated to RSA or SA, never So. Africa) indicates a classic example of 'rose tinted glasses syndrome'.

Your down-playing of things like farm murders, the rate whites are leaving RSA, throwing in visuals of Rwanda, Kenya et al as if Africa is one big country and these are all just states or provinces USA or EU style and of course the obligatory rah rah Mandela cheers really tells me, as a born and bred South African who now raises his kids in Europe, that you haven't got a grasp on reality as far as this subject goes.

Being optimistic is one thing but being ignorant regarding reality is another.

My biggest problem with this is that people might not get to appreciate the danger that lurks behind every corner in SA. No matter which neighbourhood in which city there is an unacceptable risk of being a victim of a horrendous crime. Locals are somewhat desensitized to this and understandably downplay it for various reasons but people purposefully coming to settle in SA need to absolutely understand what it is they are signing up for.

The dynamics in SA are complicated as hell and we dont even really understand them. By all means share YOUR experiences and assessments but please do not try and educate or second guess those who tell some hard truths.

South Africa is an extremely dangerous place. Bottom line. Services are rapidly deteriorating, even private ones like medical. There is an army of bored, poor and pissed off youths who have been made to believe that the white man is the reason they are in the position they are and they are itching for revenge. Black South Africans generally despise their so called brothers and sisters from up north and there are frequent episodes of xenophobic unrest where people are murdered and tortured. Corruption is rife and the police are useless at best, complicit in crimes at worst.

Yes, with enough money and luck you can insulate yourself against all this to a degree. But its all a bit of a gamble. In my experience seniors are conservative in their actions and dont like to gamble. So perhaps the whole premise of this thread about retiring to SA is a moot point?

If someone decides to settle here, especially seniors, they better do their homework properly.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
my54ford.

You are going off topic and should start a new thread or add onto another. Have you been to Rwanda? Do you understand the conflict? Both conflicts you mentioned arose because of colonization (and I would argue lack of education and infrastructure which are improving, poverty always leads to issues you should understand similar conflicts roots that have arisen is the USA). Africa is not a war zone! I question your intelligence around Africa and its current global position?

Compare the crimes and incarceration rates of the USA and or even Europe to Africa it is by far much lower in the continent of Africa. The current genocide, human rights violations, and terrorism is occuring in the USA right now. Violent crimes, gun control, police violence, and an overwhelming increase in homelessness are amongst the most serious issues the USA faces. Food security, water supply, gas, and jobs will prove to be a serious issue in the coming years.

Retiring in the USA will not be an option for many Americans that is why many are moving to places like Mexico to retire (truly ironic). Most of the doctors and healthcare professionals in the USA aren't even American and like everything else is being outsourced to other countries. Do you know what you are eating or where it is coming from? This should shock you more than someone wanting to move to So Africa. BTW food in Africa is truly organic/fresh! How can you offer negative commentary to places you have never been to or histories you don't understand?

Africa isn't for everybody but neither is the west. The whites, asians, and Indians that I know that live in So. Africa who can easily move wherever they want to (some have even bought properties in places like Kenya) aren't going anywhere.

Now if you said there is an issue with medical services, medical technology, access to medicines in Africa I could agree with you on those points. Those improvements are happening but not as quickly as it should. So Africa doesn't have these issues. But I would argue if the people in the USA can even afford healthcare costs and or medicine?

Rwanda Today - Dubbed the cleanest country in Africa or the Singapore of Africa I am proud of Rwanda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0muJcrtwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLeURbtudQ

Haven't been to the Congo but here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZiTrqPuc1g

Africans are religious, prideful, educated, peaceful, family orientated people! Africa is changing and I'm proud of its growth. Sure there are issues but its growth is why people from around the world are investing in the continent. If you've not visited please do and if you don't intend to, don't.
I wouldn't go to Rawanda but have been to Liberia and Namibia working with armed security provided and I have friends in SA. I would counter your assesment re: reasons for problems with one word Tribalisim......but back to the OP No way I'd retire in SA. not unless I could afford guys like Eeben Barlow for security.....

Old 07-16-2019, 10:47 AM

3,282 posts, read 6,964,634 times
Not sure when you went to Liberia or Namibia or if you ever went. I think you are picking areas that you know have/had issues. Namibia is truly a gem (dubbed the Canada of Africa)! Known for its diamonds. I didn't realize Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt had their first child there and asked the government to ban paparazzi. It's not a cheap place.

Liberia is going through transitions but in both places you don't need a bodyguard!

Tribalism is throughout the continent and can be added to my point and some of the issues around tribalism was caused by colonization. Tribalism is a problem for Africa but with advancements and economical improvements and leaders caring for all of its people this will be less of an issue. With new generations tribalism is less of an issue for Africa. Do keep in mind that tribalism is in the USA too (Russians, Indians, Chinese, Japanese, East Indians, Mexicans, Italians, White Americans, Middle Easterners, Jews, etc).

Namibia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axcKOdjf_3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGHXvHAwg20

Liberia
It has been going through issues for some time now and with many having to return in 2019 I believe the country will improve. Am disappointed that they elected a Football player as their President but the USA elected a reality star so it will be interesting how it will all plays out.

Had followed this story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTc-4qW1Geg

Have been following her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6w9wGaJPuw

Last edited by bayarea-girl; 07-16-2019 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-16-2019, 02:21 PM

151 posts, read 65,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Treat South Africa as you would certain parts of Chicago, Haiti or parts of Rio de Janeiro. Cape Town has a 50% white population and of course is the safest part of South Africa. If you move to the safe parts with safe demographics it may be a nice place to live, but unlike parts of Chicago or parts of brazil, the country is 90% black and run by people who call for genocide against white farmers and families without reservation. My sympathies go out to the millions of white South Africans and Boers who were victims of violence, harassment and persecution. I would love to go to South Africa as a tourist but I certainly don’t want to live there. South Africa should be a lesson to all people calling for non western immigration into the U.S.
Cape Town actually has the highest murder rate of all the South African cities (by a large margin). So it looks like their “safe demographics” aren’t helping them that much.

Lately, a lot of people on the internet think that they’re experts on South Africa b/c they’ve watched a sketchy Youtube documentary and saw some Fox News articles.

Source: https://businesstech.co.za/news/life...-south-africa/

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 07-16-2019 at 02:38 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 05:43 PM

277 posts, read 305,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
Cape Town actually has the highest murder rate of all the South African cities (by a large margin). So it looks like their “safe demographics” aren’t helping them that much.

Lately, a lot of people on the internet think that they’re experts on South Africa b/c they’ve watched a sketchy Youtube documentary and saw some Fox News articles.

Source: https://businesstech.co.za/news/life...-south-africa/
Not really a fair statistic considering the majority of those murders occur within the Cape flats as a result of the gang violence.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:42 PM

1,765 posts, read 963,813 times
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post

Old 07-17-2019, 04:09 AM

994 posts, read 1,607,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
This...
So, what's your point?

Old 07-17-2019, 05:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Art3MU-APF4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or