U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 12:02 PM

3,155 posts, read 6,861,051 times

Advertisements

Moving anywhere especially outside the country people should take an extended trip. I really like South Africa and look forward to being there in the coming months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 03:05 PM

9,660 posts, read 13,560,183 times
I was just in Cape Town last week! I loved it. I thought it was beautiful and I never felt unsafe.

That said, there were a lot of homeless people. However, being from NYC, I am used to it. I think the main difference that I see is that NYC homeless people for the most part leave you alone. Sure they stink and can be a bit of an eyesore, but usually they just sit on the sidewalk with their cardboard sign and money cup and don't aggressively hound. The homeless in SA were incessant about asking my husband and I for money … one guy followed us down the street and I had to get hostile with him after saying "no" for the 10th time.

Other than that, Cape Town was lovely. It reminded me of San Diego. The people seemed very kind (other than the homeless, ha) and the weather was great - about 60/70 degrees and not one drop of rain! The waterfront area was amazing.

I am not sure if I would ever live there or retire there, but I would love to get back there again.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:08 PM

Jdawg8181,

Thank you for posting! So you didn't need to travel with an armed guard?

Old 07-20-2019, 11:41 AM

12,450 posts, read 18,538,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Jdawg8181,

Thank you for posting! So you didn't need to travel with an armed guard?
Ah I get the sarcasm aimed at myself I take it. Note that a person traveling for business is different from a person traveling for leisure. A tourist would avoid certain activities in which a businessman in my field would be required to perform.
Your question is disingenuous and insincere. Of course no one would hire an armed guard for leisure tourist travel, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:47 PM

Dd714,

There wasn't any sarcasm aimed at you at all this was in reference to previous posters on this thread that claim that everyone even the locals have bodyguards. The question is not disingenuous nor insincere as I've traveled for both business and leisure and never required a bodyguard. Your input was helpful to those that have been pushed away from even visiting SA.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:36 PM

12,450 posts, read 18,538,532 times
Quote:
Dd714,

There wasn't any sarcasm aimed at you at all this was in reference to previous posters on this thread that claim that everyone even the locals have bodyguards. The question is not disingenuous nor insincere as I've traveled for both business and leisure and never required a bodyguard. Your input was helpful to those that have been pushed away from even visiting SA.
I humbly and somewhat embarrassingly apologize then.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:18 PM

973 posts, read 1,558,515 times
The following is most likely to be the best hospital in South Africa (and in all of Africa):

https://www.philips.co.za/a-w/about/...ion-image.html

Old 07-23-2019, 01:39 AM

15,958 posts, read 36,332,222 times
Quote:
I'll have to disagree with you on the matter that most of the posters lived or visited SA especially when they have said on the thread that they haven't been to Africa. You've given posters interested in SA a good perspective with examples and I know that will be appreciated as it is very helpful.
You might be right! There are, many times on city-data, people that post on places that don't anything about. When I went to Cape Town, I rented a car, and I like to drive pretty much everywhere. So, I drove way out to the Wine Country, and up and down the coast, and I wanted to go to pretty much every neighborhood I could, and at times I ended up in Cape Flats accidentally...and went well out of my way to avoid going to far into a second time after the first experience.

Quote:
I've also lived in Brazil and can compare poverty to SA to that, the only difference is the population and access to guns but I would take SA over Brazil (I've been robbed going and coming from the airport in Brazil).
I did live in Brazil for six months back in 1996-1997! I never had an incident, but when I look at Brazil now, I have more hesitations about going back to visit. You might be right that in 2019, South Africa would be the better place. One good thing about South Africa is that (for English speakers like me), it is much easier to do pretty much everything in South Africa.

Quote:
Also, in terms of Rwanda Kigali you will love. People visit the gorilla sanctuary a lot and hope it is on your list of places to visit. It is VERY clean. Was surprised of the milk and tea drinks. The food is really good too! The shopping is really nice. There are so many things I wish Ethiopia could learn from in Rwanda (cleanliness, traffic improvements, ease of doing business, architecture, technology advancements, etc but topics for another thread). Of course if you go outside Kigali the experience is fastly different (village life). Also be sure to visit the King's Palace and of course museums.
Yeah, I'd absolutely love to visit Kigali! And I want to get back to Addis again, been there twice. It keeps changing. Yeah, I wish it had more there, but I do like that is has a lot of interesting things right now too.

Quote:
Anyways, some people like to retire in NY some like FL or AZ, Europe or Africa it all depends on preference and how one see's themselves where they want to be. It's funny a poster that has never been to Namibia said they wouldn't go there. It actually would be perfect for retirement. It is all built up, has great amenities, it is really BEAUTIFUL and there are hardly any people that live there.
I haven't been to Namibia, but I think it would be a great place to see. It seems like the plusses are pretty good there.

I'm hoping that someday the Africa Forum would have some real interesting posting who'd generate some interesting thoughts...For example, Windhoek vs Kigali for retirement...or whatever else. At this time, there just isn't enough posters to be able to add much on something that could be so interesting. I don't know any forum online that would either.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 07-23-2019 at 01:57 AM..

Old 07-23-2019, 01:42 AM

15,958 posts, read 36,332,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Just to add here but I am a born and raised South African Born in Durban, grew up in Johannesburg and lived in Cape Town for a few years. My experience with this forum is I try share my experiences often but most of the times my posts seem to go overlooked and people prefer links from youtube and other places on the internet which isn't necessarily a bad thing either since facts and research is always a good idea
Yep, always liked your South Africa posts! Yeah, I do notice that as a theme on S. Africa and the forum.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:25 PM

Tiger Beer, you are truly brave for driving in SA I wouldn't do it and you are more adventurous than me (I like having a driver as I don't like to drive).

Addis is going through huge changes one being democracy for the very first time so hopefully things get better sooner than later.

I would really like better posting and comparisons too about the continent. The problem is that most Africans don't even travel to other countries within Africa. At the African Cup there were barely people at the games. I'll try to keep posting things that come up and or interest me about the Continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or