Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:03 PM

317 posts, read 370,651 times

Advertisements

How is South Africa for retirement fir Americans? We are in Durban - lovely city which reminds me a bit of San Diego California. I am.told :housing is reasonable. But is safety a big concern here judging from all the security systems on houses. Staying in Glenwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 04:19 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,166,995 times
I looked into it several years ago, there is very affordable housing and RSA has a visa that one can quality for on a social security income. As I recall, less than USD-2,000 a month. But without visiting the country first, I'd be very concerned about the security. In a single house on a lot, I would expect to have to contract with a personal private security guard. But I haven;t been there in a long time, this is just my impression from things Ive read.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,403,235 times
The risk of being a statistic of crime is much too high for me to ever consider retiring there. During Oscar's trial several years ago I spent a good deal of time reading about all the rapes against women the fact the everyone carries a gun, and all have electric fences, just no, hell no!

I had a Fortune 200 wanted me to work in Jburg for 1-2 years several years back, after what I read I said forget the big salary and free housing you can keep it.

It's so dangerous in Jburg people don't stop at night for red lights to prevent car jackings.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:49 PM

317 posts, read 370,651 times
We are staying in a lovely neighbourhood here in Durban - well kept streets, nice old houses, and beautiful parks. Still the presence of electric fences and security signs is unsettling. I am also surprised at the number of people begging and hawking in the streets Much less of this was taking place in poorer Mozambique. Still I am curious as to why more expats don't retire here considering the beauty of the country and low costs (with the rand at over 13 to USD , everything is very reasonable. A steak with wine costs a little over $10, in Mozambique this would be twice as much and in California close to $50. I'm also told that Durban housing costs are much more reasonable than Capetown.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:46 AM

277 posts, read 378,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
the fact the everyone carries a gun
I don't know anyone who owns a gun...I feel like the USA has us easily beat when it comes to this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
It's so dangerous in Jburg people don't stop at night for red lights to prevent car jackings.
This is partly true. Normally only if it's after 1am or so then you'll see people doing this (I used to do this at least). I know in Pretoria it's more acceptable for women to do it earlier on in the evening as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
We are staying in a lovely neighbourhood here in Durban - well kept streets, nice old houses, and beautiful parks. Still the presence of electric fences and security signs is unsettling. I am also surprised at the number of people begging and hawking in the streets Much less of this was taking place in poorer Mozambique. Still I am curious as to why more expats don't retire here considering the beauty of the country and low costs (with the rand at over 13 to USD , everything is very reasonable. A steak with wine costs a little over $10, in Mozambique this would be twice as much and in California close to $50. I'm also told that Durban housing costs are much more reasonable than Capetown.
Housing is definitely cheaper in Durban It's a different lifestyle though and they both have their merits. A lot of my family ended up moving out of Durban and either to Johannesburg or Cape Town. My parents retired to a place called Langebaan, about 1 hour north of Cape Town.

For me at least, I'd happily retire in Cape Town one day. But I'm only 29 so too far in the future to think about how much could have changed by then

Old 07-14-2018, 02:47 PM

50 posts, read 45,721 times
There are many retirees, mainly from the UK I would guess, who have made SA their home. As mentioned the ability to make your US/UK/EU/etc money buy you so much more is a very attractive proposition. Alas the crime rate and having to live behind electric fences and gates, subscribe to an armed reaction security company and put up with a steady deterioration of just about everything is changing this.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:05 PM

24,265 posts, read 9,154,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Still I am curious as to why more expats don't retire here considering the beauty of the country and low costs (with the rand at over 13 to USD , everything is very reasonable.
Because South Africa is considered the rape capital of the world and there are far more favorable foreign locations to retire to.

Quote:
First off, we live alongside terrifying statistics: that South Africa is rape capital of the world. That one in three South African women will be raped in our lifetime. That a woman is raped in the country every 26 seconds...
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/201...ou_a_23192126/

Old 06-28-2019, 05:17 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,762,769 times
We are in the process of purchasing an apartment there to eventually use part of the year in retirement. Until then, we will use for short term vacation rentals.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:23 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,037,487 times
South Africa is a beautiful country. My recommendation to anyone visiting or relocating there should first to stay in a hotel that also has an option for longer term stays (they are more like condos or are called villas in Africa, can be expensive but worth it, a travel agent should be able to help you with this) as there will be less chances of experiencing violence. Move around the country and stay for a while before purchasing.

Not all areas in South Africa are violent but do your research and travel to several cities first as SA is large. The food, art, shopping, weather, and culture in So. Africa is amazing. South Africa isn't anymore dangerous than the USA or the UK. With any major city you are going to experience issues.

Most people with money from other African countries go to So Africa for serious medical treatment as they have better facilities and medicine and doctors in the continent.

It is important to link up with other expats, it's a must and there are several expat communities out there.

Most of the people I know in South Africa love living there and haven't had issues other than robberies in the stores they own. I know some people have experienced home invasions and car robberies but from what I've heard it is a bigger issue in Johannesburg. For the most part people don't want to leave So Africa. Cape town or right outside Cape town would be my suggestion, keep in mind and or do research about the water shortage issues that is affecting Cape town. Durban is a good option all the amenities you could possibly want are right there.

Europeans do retire and or relocate to SA. People from the USA not so much, they just don't know much about the continent besides Nelson Mandela.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:56 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,037,487 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrPITxpX3Y

This only cost $250k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfbb4pvK3VA

They never show this about Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4768Nj3N0fc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa