U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2018, 10:58 PM
 
926 posts, read 313,015 times
Reputation: 438

Advertisements

A very good friend has invited me to visit him in Algeria.Im a little nervous as I really dont have the most informed view of Algeria.Mostly due to ignorance from American media focused information.sources.
Who has been there or is from there can tell me what I should expect as an American tourist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2018, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,364 posts, read 1,657,079 times
Reputation: 7925
First of all, it will make absolutely no difference whether you are American or any other western traveler. There may be different regs concerning your visa, but once you are in, Americans are exactly the same as any other "white" person. They might prefer that you're not French.

Algeria is an Islamic culture, and in general, the people will behave like Muslims, which is nothing to worry about, they place a very high value on hospitality and generosity and honor, but also on personal propriety. Like anywhere else, there is a strain of opportunistic crime that runs through underbelly, so avoid lelaving opportunities lying around. I haven't read it, but I would expect wikitravel to give you much of the foundation that you are looking for. https://wikitravel.org/en/Algeria

I haven't been there since 1968, so I can't offer you much useful personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 AM
 
926 posts, read 313,015 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
First of all, it will make absolutely no difference whether you are American or any other western traveler. There may be different regs concerning your visa, but once you are in, Americans are exactly the same as any other "white" person. They might prefer that you're not French.

Algeria is an Islamic culture, and in general, the people will behave like Muslims, which is nothing to worry about, they place a very high value on hospitality and generosity and honor, but also on personal propriety. Like anywhere else, there is a strain of opportunistic crime that runs through underbelly, so avoid lelaving opportunities lying around. I haven't read it, but I would expect wikitravel to give you much of the foundation that you are looking for. https://wikitravel.org/en/Algeria

I haven't been there since 1968, so I can't offer you much useful personal experience.
Im actually African American.Not white. im very familiar with Islamic religion and am comfortable in that regard but its the unknown of the country itself.Politically,economically ,crime,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 12:31 PM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,984 posts, read 2,135,725 times
Reputation: 5092
Funny how some people automatically assume somebody is white. I'm guilty of that, too. It's easy to do. It never ceases to amaze me how many people automatically assume I am white because my given name is Ivory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 01:03 PM
 
926 posts, read 313,015 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Funny how some people automatically assume somebody is white. I'm guilty of that, too. It's easy to do. It never ceases to amaze me how many people automatically assume I am white because my given name is Ivory.
Well especially as an American who is of African heritage whose family has been in the U.S at least since the late 1700s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,364 posts, read 1,657,079 times
Reputation: 7925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Funny how some people automatically assume somebody is white. I'm guilty of that, too. It's easy to do. It never ceases to amaze me how many people automatically assume I am white because my given name is Ivory.
No different from assuming everyone in Algeria will be Arab-Berber Muslim. I responded to the content of the OP, which implied that he expected to be recognized and treated as an American tourist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 12:07 AM
 
926 posts, read 313,015 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
No different from assuming everyone in Algeria will be Arab-Berber Muslim. I responded to the content of the OP, which implied that he expected to be recognized and treated as an American tourist.
Perhaps I was not clear enough but thats not what I was asking.I have lived in Saudi Arabia,Bahrain and Kuwait so im aware of the culture.In those countries Americans are treated fine.

Depending on where you are in the middle east,politics change rather suddenly it seems as of late.As a country I just wanted know what the current political landscape is,things to do,how strict it is compared to other Middle eastern countries and what are taboos I may want to be aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 03:23 AM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,984 posts, read 2,135,725 times
Reputation: 5092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
A very good friend has invited me to visit him in Algeria.Im a little nervous as I really dont have the most informed view of Algeria.Mostly due to ignorance from American media focused information.sources.
Who has been there or is from there can tell me what I should expect as an American tourist?
I'd be very leery of anywhere in the Middle East. You will want to make sure you're informed of all of the local day to day customs and how you are suppose to behave. You don't want to unwittingly offend anybody who might think you're being disrespectful to their culture and way of life. I imagine in many of the Middle East countries it's a crime to disrespect the government, their religion, and their local customs. It won't matter if you're a tourist or a local native, they take disrespect as a very serious crime and can land a person in prison for an unspecified amount of time. The government will set the prisoner free when they are ready to set the prisoner free. The government never tells the prisoner how much time he must spend in prison until the day the government sets him free.

I doubt if many of those countries in the Middle East are big believers of 2nd chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 09:11 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)
 
5,167 posts, read 8,017,583 times
Reputation: 4264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Funny how some people automatically assume somebody is white. I'm guilty of that, too. It's easy to do. It never ceases to amaze me how many people automatically assume I am white because my given name is Ivory.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but I don't see this as a major issue. The US has been an overwhelmingly white country pretty much since its inception and African Americans have always been a relatively small minority. It makes perfect sense people would automatically equate Americans with being white, given that it's a white majority nation. Things are changing, but...

When someone mentions Jamaica o Jamaicans, the first thing in anyone's mind concerning the people are blacks. Guess why that is? Yet, there are white Jamaicans too, but the majority are black and that will define the people unless a particular Jamaican clarifies that he or she is not black. Correction is accepted and then people move on.

Algeria is a Muslim majority country and based on that its culture has been described in this thread. Guess what? There is a Christian minority too and they are Algerians and very much a part of Algeria, but it just so happens the vast majority are Muslims and that dictates the first assumptions people will have of that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 06:06 AM
 
926 posts, read 313,015 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Not to sidetrack the thread, but I don't see this as a major issue. The US has been an overwhelmingly white country pretty much since its inception and African Americans have always been a relatively small minority. It makes perfect sense people would automatically equate Americans with being white, given that it's a white majority nation. Things are changing, but...

When someone mentions Jamaica o Jamaicans, the first thing in anyone's mind concerning the people are blacks. Guess why that is? Yet, there are white Jamaicans too, but the majority are black and that will define the people unless a particular Jamaican clarifies that he or she is not black. Correction is accepted and then people move on.

Algeria is a Muslim majority country and based on that its culture has been described in this thread. Guess what? There is a Christian minority too and they are Algerians and very much a part of Algeria, but it just so happens the vast majority are Muslims and that dictates the first assumptions people will have of that place.
When was the last time you saw a white Jamaican president?
A white Jamaican movie star or movie with a white Jamaican cast?
What about a white Jamaican singer?

American history and culture is heavily influenced by African Americans.
Large reason for that is that African Americans at one time were a much larger group than in present day.In many Southern states slaves were more than 40-50%.Hardly a "small" population. Thats not counting the free blacks in Northern states.
Not to mention I guess you forget there were Native people in the U.S ?

Christian and Jews have been in Algeria for decades but do you hear or see Christians or Jewish references in day to day Algerian life? NO.

American movies,music,culture and even in things like politics have a very visual reminder that African Americans have played a large role in the development of the U.S so how do you ignore all that then see a black president and first lady?
The first person to die in the American revolution was black so whatever reason people may have for making assumptions,it does not change the fact that regardless of the size of the population,
America is not like say a Germany,England,France,Japan,China,etc.It may have been founded by whites but they were not the first people here.
South Africa is a good comparison.Majority black but you dont necessarily think black when you hear of South Africans.I have friends from every racial group that are South African born but it would never occur to me to think of just one race

Same is true about Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top