U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,339,013 times

Advertisements

Handsome really? The electronic gates and security devices not obvious in photos. Same could be said for lack of human traffic. Just more of examples of fairly 'ordinary. suburbs, I'm afraid, common sights in Australia for example, sans the far higher crime risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 01:59 AM

271 posts, read 292,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_..._Africa#Murder

If that is the risk you want to take, good luck. Not even the inner cities of America are that dangerous.
The problem with the crime rate statistics is that the numbers come more from the crime within the townships. The majority sits there (not to say that you're 100% safe in the suburbs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I would rather choose Durban over Joahansburg. After all there are great beachers there. Durban has a mix of African, Indian and European cultures and I sure there is a great selection of foods there.
Durban is nice. Different style of life Because of the warmer Indian ocean it's a slower paced surfer feeling down there Tropical type climate so very hot and humid. The city center is a bit of a mess though and quite dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Safe or not, one thing is certain, the suburbs of Johannesburg are very handsome. Makes me want to live there, but the safety situation is enough to put me off.

It's not as if these are small areas. Huge swaths of the suburbs look like the areas in the photos below.

Beautiful places! South Africans have very good taste.

https://goo.gl/maps/YSWt6L5PTw92
Randburg is where I grew up It was nice back then but it's been maintained less and less over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
And this is on the same road as my 1st apartment I bought

There are still much nicer suburbs where trees line both sides of the roads. Places like Houghton Estate, Rosebank, Bryanston (even if these fall under Sandton)

Old 07-09-2018, 02:25 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,824,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
The problem with the crime rate statistics is that the numbers come more from the crime within the townships. The majority sits there (not to say that you're 100% safe in the suburbs).
Yeah, the "rape capital of the world" surely sounds very safe.
Quote:
The country has one of the highest rates of rape in the world, with some 65,000 rapes and other sexual assaults reported for the year 2012. The incidence of rape has led to the country being referred to as the “rape capital of the world”.
http://katehon.com/389-top-10-countr...ape-crime.html

Old 07-09-2018, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the "rape capital of the world" surely sounds very safe.

Top 10 Countries With Highest Rape Crime | Katehon think tank. Geopolitics & Tradition
Majority of those numbers are coming from the poorest townships. The average middle class South African most likely doesn't live anywhere near those areas.

And in all fairness, South Africa sounds safer than American schools these days

Last edited by dowsieboi; 07-09-2018 at 03:18 AM..

Old 07-09-2018, 11:15 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,824,910 times
Quote:
Majority of those numbers are coming from the poorest townships. The average middle class South African most likely doesn't live anywhere near those areas.
So it’s only a sexual assault capital in the busy tourist sections. Excellent achievement.
Quote:
In a fairness, I don’t see any Americans immigrating to South Africa.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:01 PM

3,206 posts, read 4,707,594 times
Quote:
Oh please... We have as many school age children in the US as the entire population of South Africa. Yes, school shootings are horrible and we've had about 150 deaths from gun violence in US schools the last twenty years out of those 50,000,000 kids and over 3,000,000 school staff. Exactly how many people have been murdered in South Africa during the last 20 years? 300,000? 400,000? Its about 50 a day so you do the math.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
So it’s only a sexual assault capital in the busy tourist sections. Excellent achievement.
Are you serious? Are you complaining that our poorest people don't live in good enough conditions for you to be safe as you visit them as a tourist attraction?

I really hope that was just a joke...

Old 07-09-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Oh please... We have as many school age children in the US as the entire population of South Africa. Yes, school shootings are horrible and we've had about 150 deaths from gun violence in US schools the last twenty years out of those 50,000,000 kids and over 3,000,000 school staff. Exactly how many people have been murdered in South Africa during the last 20 years? 300,000? 400,000? Its about 50 a day so you do the math.
It was sarcasm. No need to get defensive.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,166 posts, read 8,017,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Handsome really? The electronic gates and security devices not obvious in photos. Same could be said for lack of human traffic. Just more of examples of fairly 'ordinary. suburbs, I'm afraid, common sights in Australia for example, sans the far higher crime risk.
Yes, handsome suburbs.

This is Africa we are talking about. I don't think there are many countries in Africa that have the number of handsome, organized, and large land area covering suburbs as does South Africa. On top of that, these suburbs were developed with good aesthetic taste. I know in Namibia their capital Windhoek is also very handsome, but it's a medium size city. Nothing to compare to the suburbs of Johannesburg where Windhoek would easily be gobbled up by a handful of suburbs.

I really hope that South Africa is able to maintain these areas as beautiful as they are and replicate them as the middle class and upper middle class continue to grow.

Right now there is a security crisis in much of South Africa, but with time things change. Sometimes they change for the worse, but at other times they change for the better. The security crisis could turn out to be a short-lived hiccup before South Africa is able to get the upper hand and return the peace to most of its citizens.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:00 PM

3,527 posts, read 3,069,435 times
Quote:
I grew up in Johannesburg and studied at the University of Johannesburg. Then lived in Cape Town for the last 2.5 years. So if you've got any questions, feel free to ask

In terms of if it's really that "bad".

Yes and no.

Living in the suburbs is fine. The areas where the universities start to get close to the city and aren't the greatest areas. I wouldn't really want to live that side. Most people who went there were from Joburg and tend to still live with their parents out in the suburbs (about 10-15km away from the universities). Then you get the people who stay in res on campus and then the students who stay in the area. Public transport sucks and wouldn't rely on it. The only decent piece is the Gautrain,

Basically Joburg's high crime rate sits in the city centre and in the townships. The closer you go to these areas, the more likely you'll experience crime.

When you say you hear there's more to do in Joburg, what is it that you're looking to do?

Joburg is your typical city environment. People are there for their careers, not for quality of life. The suburbs can be nice for families and there are lots of places to go and eat and drink.

Cape Town has a much cleaner city that's possible to live and walk around in. Public transport (MyCiti buses) that seem to work and you have much easier access to a range of activities on the mountain, beach or forest. Personally if you gave me the choice I'd choose Cape Town every time.
Which campus did you go to? Also I heard that Jo'burg has better nightlife than Cape Town and many of the Black South Africans I've spoken to says race relations are better in Jo'burg but I'm not so sure about that from my perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or