U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:45 AM

531 posts, read 190,452 times

Advertisements

There's been a lot of divide there on many social and economic levels, so in that case its bad as well as the crime. I know two people that immigrated to the USA because of crime alone. One of them had a family member that was mudered after a carjacking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 05:39 PM

400 posts, read 126,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Cape Town was superb, no more violent than a developed city its size.

The tourist experience is not the experience of the people who live there.Tourists are confined to a very small part of Cape Town. It is less dangerous than Johannesburg, but hosts one of the largest slums in the world. I still have a few relatives in SA, including a cousin in CT. I have another cousin in Zimbabwe and she says it's safer there than SA. Still another cousin was shot in the face on her farm. Thank God my parents took us out of there in the 70's. People are not fleeing SA for no reason. Last I heard, the waiting list for immigrant visas to the US was 11 years.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:17 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
The tourist experience is not the experience of the people who live there.Tourists are confined to a very small part of Cape Town. It is less dangerous than Johannesburg, but hosts one of the largest slums in the world. I still have a few relatives in SA, including a cousin in CT. I have another cousin in Zimbabwe and she says it's safer there than SA. Still another cousin was shot in the face on her farm. Thank God my parents took us out of there in the 70's. People are not fleeing SA for no reason. Last I heard, the waiting list for immigrant visas to the US was 11 years.
In the Teaching EFL (English) abroad world, there are a number of long-term Zimbabwe/S.Africa teachers who seem to stay in Asia for quite some time, without talking much of going back.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:54 PM

1,446 posts, read 710,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
From what I've seen and read, people with any kind of wealth in S.A. live in fortified dwellings... either in gated communities or in single houses with lots of defenses (fences / bars on windows / alarms)… at least in urban areas. I'd like to think rural areas are safer, but it seems it is also not safe there either. As for transportation, people of means seem to take their own cars from their fortified / protected homes to go to work, do shopping.

On this thread, people getting killed are those who take their chances "out in the open air"... tenting, taking a stroll from their hotel... things that a lot of us take for granted, but that South Africans can't. There have also been many publicized cases of farmers' homes being broken into either in full day or at night and the inhabitants killed... even with fortifications / protections.
How about you consider first-hand experiences instead of just sensationalized headlines you read?

Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 PM

1,763 posts, read 563,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
How about you consider first-hand experiences instead of just sensationalized headlines you read?
Well, I worked with a guy, here in the U.S., who just came over from S. Africa and that sounded like his description too. He moved the rest of the family over a few months back and said they were all glad to be out. So there must be some truth to it. Itís not surprising though because bad areas can be found in any country. I live in Maryland and Iíll not set foot in Baltimore without very good reason.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:58 PM

271 posts, read 292,667 times
Quote:
This is where I get confused on this forum and end up commenting less. I try answer these kind of "What's it like" questions as a native South African and then I get links and stats in response.

But the short answer is no it's not as bad as everything makes it seem. I moved to Berlin a couple of months ago so I could travel Europe more easily and I'll quite happily move back to Cape Town once I'm done

Old 11-16-2018, 01:06 AM

43 posts, read 23,964 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the person you criticize is mostly correct. The headlines dont even scratch the surface- there isnt enough space....

Old 11-16-2018, 09:59 AM

400 posts, read 126,402 times
Quote:

Oh, I think the hundreds of farmers who have been massacred, the tens of thousands who have been raped or murdered, and the millions who have been the recipients of every crime, from car jacking to on-the-street robbery might consider the headlines more accurate reporting than sensationalized.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:52 AM

156 posts, read 110,394 times
Generalisations about countries are quite meaningless - crime is sensationalised and there's no perspective.

Like all countries South Africa is made up of many diverse cities and towns and each has many diverse communities. Some communities are relatively peaceful and others extremely dangerous.

There is no doubt that statistically (always questionable) South Africa is more dangerous than many other countries and conversely a lot safer than many others https://www.atlasandboots.com/most-d...-world-ranked/ - in this analysis South Africa is ranked 39th most dangerous and the US ranked 43 out of 163 countries!

There are many communities I would not like to live in in South Africa, likewise there are many in the US!

Old 02-26-2019, 04:15 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,341,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
People are not 'fleeing' South Africa, for no reason, but while crime does feature, by far the greatest number leave for economic and better prospects for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or