U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 AM

18,622 posts, read 16,421,685 times

Advertisements

Pretty gruesome glimpse of life in South Africa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpjN...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:25 AM

3,774 posts, read 2,032,337 times
We have rape culture here in America. South Africa probably isn't much different.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:34 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
We have rape culture here in America. South Africa probably isn't much different.
You mention it very matter of fact just like one would order a pepperoni pizza. These first two guys in the video are incapable of empathy and enjoy inflicting physical and emotional damage for their own gratification there are quite a few people like this in the USA unfortunately.(If there was a for sure way to identify them and hunt them down I think it would be good but there isn't) The difference is that these men in the video are emboldened because they can discuss and brag about their crimes openly and know there are no consequences because women aren't valued where they live. These people are hopeless though they're passing on the cycle of violence to the next generation.

Last edited by AFP; 08-07-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 03:14 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,032,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You mention it very matter of fact just like one would order a pepperoni pizza. These first two guys in the video are incapable of empathy and enjoy inflicting physical and emotional damage for their own gratification there are quite a few people like this in the USA unfortunately.(If there was a for sure way to identify them and hunt them down I think it would be good but there isn't) The difference is that these men in the video are emboldened because they can discuss and brag about their crimes openly and know there are no consequences because women aren't valued where they live. These people are hopeless though they're passing on the cycle of violence to the next generation.

Sounds like another group of people with which I'm familiar. Again...I don't see the difference.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:38 AM

3,527 posts, read 3,070,266 times
Quote:
Police in SA donít have the resources to handle this type of crime and most go unreported. I donít think itís acceptable in SAís society though, it just that bad people whoíd normally be arrested in other countries walk free there. Itís a shame because this happens to young girls who also have to deal with being in poverty and a lack of electricity and running water, then you add this on top of the already daily struggle of living. Thankfully, poverty is slowly decreasing, but this is going to continue to happen unless SAís government puts money toward it. (IDK if the ANC cares enough to solve the issue though)

Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM

6,553 posts, read 9,067,154 times
I saw a report on rapes in SA some years back. One theory that was mentioned for the cause of these rapes is that during the Apartheid era Black men were so emasculated that it socialized some to feel like in order to get a sense of manhood they needed to control and dominate women's bodies. There could be some truth to this.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:19 PM

6,553 posts, read 9,067,154 times
What are SA's gun laws? Maybe these women need guns in their homes which could deter many would be rapist.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:24 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I saw a report on rapes in SA some years back. One theory that was mentioned for the cause of these rapes is that during the Apartheid era Black men were so emasculated that it socialized some to feel like in order to get a sense of manhood they needed to control and dominate women's bodies. There could be some truth to this.
I don't buy it I see it as boiling down to some individuals are predatory by nature and will brutalize the weak if they can get away with it.(They have no regard for other human beings). It takes the very best upbringing for individuals with this make up to learn to respect boundaries. Some individuals are more predisposed to being offenders(particularly those that lack the capacity to experience emotions) and from what you can see in the video there is rampant violence and zero mercy those kids watching the incident are learning.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,826,234 times
Quote:
Except in America you can actually report the rape and see results. Go luck reporting it in South Africa.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:25 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,826,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Pretty gruesome glimpse of life in South Africa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpjN...ature=youtu.be
I haven't watch this documentary yet but I did see some sad report where they interviewed a South african serial rapist... He had HIV so he was spreading it to everyone he raped, he didn't care and said "I'm glad I won't die alone." He was also raped as a child.

When you wonder why South Africa isn't a top tourist destination, or why Marvel's Black Panther declined to film there, that is why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or