U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2018, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 7,733,646 times
Reputation: 7819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Why ANY white person would stay in SA after hearing political leaders speak of physically hurting, even killing, "the whites" is beyond me.
Maybe because they have lived there for centuries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2018, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,635,464 times
Reputation: 6281
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidShepherd View Post
Y
The idea that whites stole a whole country from some poor tribesmen also is nonsense. History (real history) shows whites and blacks arriving in the area known as South Africa today at around the same time. Whites from the West (Cape) via ship and Blacks overland from the East. It was many many decades before the two groups met for the first time as the whites expanded east. There were wars, there were purchases and treaties and there were deals made.

This is the old Empty Land Myth:

The Empty Land Myth | South African History Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2018, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,711 posts, read 3,665,989 times
Reputation: 16694
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Like I said before, South Africa could have been so much more, the shining light of Africa. Instead itís spiraling down to the gutter. Some would argue that itís already there. I donít even know how you begin to solve problems that were built up over 400 years. And Lord knows the ANC does not have the answers. But for whites to complain at all when they ran things for 400 years is just mind boggling. You had your shot. You created a system that only Hitler could love. Be thankful that the blacks donít go Old Testament and put you under the same system you gave them. Either be part of the solution or just leave. Canada, Australia and now Trump all love you.
Serious question: what can white South Africans do, within the system as it exists today, to be a part of the solution of raising their country back up towards being the shining light of Africa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2018, 08:30 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The Black had decades learning what they hated about their system. Then today they do the same things only reverse. Does this make a statement about Blacks and does this have a warning for the USA?
What did the hate about the past? You know that the huge inequality in South Africa is unsustainable, especially as much of it is based on race. It will be better for you to suggest what must be done to address this. If not others will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2018, 08:34 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Not in a millions years would it happen because no black American currently alive was ever a slave. And the narrative would be ďblacks can only obtain things by taking them.Ē
.
Embedded in your remarks is the assumption that there aren't sizeable numbers of blacks who are doing things the "right" way. It might shock you to know that most aren't on welfare watching TV all day popping out babies by the dozen.


While it is true that no enslaved people remain in the USA there are loads of people who lived through Jim Crow (de facto and de jure) and racist Federal housing programs. They can and should sue for reparations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2018, 08:38 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Serious question: what can white South Africans do, within the system as it exists today, to be a part of the solution of raising their country back up towards being the shining light of Africa?
Start by stopping thinking that they are the victim of what ever is happening today. One has to really congratulate black South Africans for not going on a revenge warpath as others might have. They need to look over at Zimbabwe and pre-empt such actions which will come if inequality remains as dire as it currently is.

This is not to excuse the extreme corruption and incompetence of the ANC, but some might argue that inexperience in actually running a nation lies behind many of their faults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2018, 08:42 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidShepherd View Post
The idea that whites stole a whole country from some poor tribesmen also is nonsense. History (real history) shows whites and blacks arriving in the area known as South Africa today at around the same time. F U
In fact the Bantu migrations from points further north had blacks in the area at least 1,000 years before the whites arrived. Yes you can legitimately say that these Bantu invaders displaced others but you look foolish when you claim that they arrived at the same time as did whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2018, 08:47 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidShepherd View Post
Your misrepresentation and over simplification of "facts" is laughable.

So to suggest as you do that whites and farmers deserve violence because they created it is absurd. Whites, especially the Afrikaners only ever wanted a peaceful place to settle.
To say that the Afrikaners were peaceful is a blatant lie and your own narrative of the "courageous Boers" indicates this.

No sensible person is saying that anyone deserves violence and in fact Zimbabwe shows that this didn't benefit blacks anymore than it did whites.

What some are saying is that if measures aren't taking to reduce income inequality in South Africa this violence will occur. It is in the interests of whites to head this off by visible involvement in measures to reduce inequality. Blaming the ANC will not work for whites, even we know that they are hardly innocents in this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2018, 08:50 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidShepherd View Post
L]

his We voted to end Apartheid, for freedom and Democracy and a peaceful future in 1994. For you to come along now and suggest we deserve to suffer and deserve violence? F U
1. You didn't vote to end apartheid. The world TOLD you to end apartheid and the gov't of the day followed suit.

2. Your claims would have been more credible if this election occurred in the early 60s. Instead a more ruthless brutalization of the black population ensued and their leaders imprisoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2018, 08:52 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Well Annie,you tossed out the "Racist white American " line. Tell me where Blacks have been successful in governing the past decade .Ill let you off the hook with using Socialist countries.
Blacks governing what? And in fact there has been a massive reduction in black poverty, increase in college educated blacks, reduction in high school completion and the development of a black middle class.

Make some black friends and quit using FOX TV as your news source about blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top